Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 06:06 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,607,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I did read the link. Layoffs are possible through certain means.
It's not happening. Give up the dream and wishful thinking against your fellow Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 06:18 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,996,973 times
Gramercy Riffs. An NY street gang in the classic 1979 movie The Warriors, directed by Walter Hill. IIRC they used actual gang members as extras in the movie, and if you watch the clip you'll see they look the part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yks_P0NDCFQ

Haha, but seriously, as a moderate D, I believe the federal workforce could use some trimming. I read just today in Glenn Greenwald's book that the NSA alone has 90,000 people including contractors. Contractors are not direct employees, but they are de facto employees. They do work for the gov't and get paid with our tax dollars to do it.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:18 PM

45,089 posts, read 60,158,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
https://federalnewsnetwork.com/gover...days-omb-says/

You need to stop with this nonsense that this is some sort of brilliant chess match.

Read the link. Those in furlough status will not be/cannot legally be RIF'd due to a shutdown. Only certain types of furlough status can have that happen and this isn't one of them.

I see the disinformation campaign is heavy duty on this subject today. Must be post #4 or #5 promoting the same lies and links. And from the usual perpetrators.
OK, I reread it. This is considered an emergency furlough so the RIF guidelines don't apply.

I do, however, think that some agencies are going to be directed to take a hard look at head count.

I do wonder if the school systems fast tracking furloughed feds into substitute slots expect them to stay when the shutdown ends. I know my local one does but they have a lot of magical thinking.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:19 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,672,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
RIF is Reduction in Force

Trump is crazy enough to do this. I'm just letting you know in case it has not crossed your minds.

Trump's shutdown trap?

Has President Trump suckered Democrats and the Deep State into a trap that will enable a radical downsizing of the federal bureaucracy? In only five more days of the already "longest government shutdown in history" (25 days and counting, as of today), a heretofore obscure threshold will be reached, enabling permanent layoffs of bureaucrats furloughed 30 days or more.

Don't believe me that federal bureaucrats can be laid off? Well, in bureaucratese, a layoff is called a RIF – a Reduction in Force – and of course, it comes with a slew of civil service protections. But, if the guidelines are followed, bureaucrats can be laid off – as in no more job.

--------------------------

Read the other links for yourselves as they contain good info on this.

Reduction in Force

OMB issues guidance on Reduction in Force layoffs due to partial shutdown

This one is supposedly from a Senior Trump official that would be known by name - and he seems to point to this in vague terms.

I’M A SENIOR TRUMP OFFICIAL, AND I HOPE A LONG SHUTDOWN SMOKES OUT THE RESISTANCE

-------------------------------

There could be some serious 3D-chess going on with all of this. And if everything pans out as I see it that it could... it would be worthy of a standing ovation.
Was NEVER possible.

According to OPM:
"NOTE: Reductions in force (RIF) furlough regulations and SES competitive furlough
requirements are not applicable to emergency shutdown furloughs because the ultimate
duration of an emergency shutdown furlough is unknown at the outset and is dependent
entirely on Congressional action, rather than agency action. The RIF furlough regulations
and SES competitive furlough requirements, on the other hand, contemplate planned,
foreseeable, money-saving furloughs that, at the outset, are planned to exceed 30 days."

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...-furloughs.pdf

Old 01-16-2019, 11:18 PM

92 posts, read 98,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Reading Is Fundamental.

Haven't heard that in a long time. I remember hearing a lot of PSAs (public service announcements) for RIF on the radio.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:04 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,607,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
OK, I reread it. This is considered an emergency furlough so the RIF guidelines don't apply.

I do, however, think that some agencies are going to be directed to take a hard look at head count.

I do wonder if the school systems fast tracking furloughed feds into substitute slots expect them to stay when the shutdown ends. I know my local one does but they have a lot of magical thinking.
At any time, the president can determine that he needs X agencies to reduce force by 10%.

In the 1980s, Reagan did this very thing and people did lose their jobs via RIF. There's nothing stopping Trump from doing this. He could have done it all along. He certainly doesn't need some "3-D chess match" or whatever people on this forum are attributing this shutdown to, to institute a RIF. It would be a very stupid way of going about such a thing...so now that I've typed that then, heck, maybe that's his plan. Because it's certainly not smart and that would be fitting for him.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:05 AM

17,363 posts, read 9,189,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
If that's the plan ~ why doesn't Trump just man-UP and tell them all that they're FIRED!

The Federal Government is loaded with Rules & Paperwork.
It’s all about The Process ... they all know that, it has nothing to do with any Plan. It’s Process.
Nancy Pelosi knows all this .... she has put everyone at risk due to her plan for the 2020 Election.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:23 AM

68,297 posts, read 54,176,344 times
Quote:
If that's the plan ~ why doesn't Trump just man-UP and tell them all that they're FIRED!

For the same reason he stood meekly beside Putin in Helsinki, no backbone.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:41 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,581,416 times
Quote:
B/c firing them would be a change to the plan. Stick with the plan !!! Drain the swamp of liberal obstructing unelected bureaucrats.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:49 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,153,632 times
Considering he's bringing most of them back to work as unpaid slaves, it hardly seems he has any desire to fire them all. It seems he finds their work important. At the very least to make him look better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies