Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 10:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Need some explanation here. For those who didn’t work, why should they be paid?

Before you argue it’s not their fault, it’s not the taxpayers’ fault either. In the private sector, if a company shuts down due to slow sales, nobody would be paid.

Since they will get the pay back for not doing any work, that’s like paid vacation! Frankly, all the whining from the federal employees is only because they have no savings when they know government shutdowns are not rare events.
It is the taxpayer’s fault. They voted in the Administration that caused tbis mess and they should pay the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 10:50 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:

Before you argue it’s not their fault, it’s not the taxpayers’ fault either. In the private sector, if a company shuts down due to slow sales, nobody would be paid.

Since they will get the pay back for not doing any work, that’s like paid vacation! Frankly, all the whining from the federal employees is only because they have no savings when they know government shutdowns are not rare events.
The one difference that I see is that in a private sector, if a company shuts down, you know your career there is over, and that day you can start looking for another job. The government shutdowns are unique in that they are still employed (just not being allowed to work) and they could be called back in a day or in months.

It's hard to make life changes, especially since they may really like their job and they are technically still employed. Also, I read that there are ethics involved around getting another job. For side jobs like Uber, I'm sure it is pretty easy, but for professional-level jobs, the reference/employee verification would likely be difficult.

The longer it goes on, as much as I sympathize with federal government workers, I do agree (at no fault of their own), it becomes increasingly harder to justify back pay for not working (for potentially months); although that is what points to the ridiculousness of the shutdown IMO. If you are going to give back pay, why not end the shutdown, let them work now and get value for all of the back pay you will be giving them. That is the ironic part of the whole situation.

I have seen segments on nightly news the past week, and lines/crowds of federal employees are at food banks and at job fairs for substitute teacher positions, so it is not like they aren't trying. It is a painful reality to many of them of the types of struggles many others go through (who don't get any back pay). Stockpiling savings is easier said than done, so I have sympathy for them.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:51 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
What would you call not working while being paid?
A vacation is picked by the participant with full understanding of the financial implications.

This was not picked. This was forced by lawmakers - who still expect a material segment of them to show up and work free.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:53 AM

14,227 posts, read 4,590,273 times
Quote:
What would you call not working while being paid?
and what you call essential employees who are working and not getting paid?

Old 01-17-2019, 10:53 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:

Because many of them, like my daughter are not allowed to find other work in their field due to issues with clearances.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:58 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I wonder if people have stopped to think about long range consequences of treating employees like this? Who in their right mind will ever want a federal job after this? Anyone with any competence or ability will go elsewhere.

If you thought it was mind numbing to deal with government agencies before, imagine what it will be like in years to come, when nobody who has any competence will be willing to work for the feds.

When all this is over, and they start tallying the costs, I hope they include the cost of now having to pay higher wages when the time comes to hire new people for those jobs.

Some will need to be replaced immediately, if current employees decide they just can't sit it out. Others may need to be replaced in a few years. Either way, I suspect that a direct result of this shutdown will be the feds will have to pay a higher wage to get people willing to work for them.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:00 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What does morality have to do with a discussion about Trump's actions?
Best post in 72 years.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:02 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
The workers should be paid. It's the politicians - mostly the scum bag democrats - that are at fault for this.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:03 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
nobody is quitting anything, they lose their pensions and health insurance if they leave.

3 billion in border funding ends this

Old 01-17-2019, 11:03 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beergeek40 View Post
the workers should be paid. It's the politicians - mostly the scum bag democrats - that are at fault for this.
Quote:
you want to know something?” mr. Trump finally said, exasperated. “i’ll tell you what: I am proud to shut down the government for border security, chuck.”
i will take the mantle,” mr. Trump went on. “i will be the one to shut it down — i’m not going to blame you for it.
djt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies