Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 11:26 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
private sector workers are the first in line at the unemployment office when they don't get their pay... must be nice they get a paid vacation too
Certainly less nice than getting full pay back while they're not being used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 11:30 AM

1,066 posts, read 629,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Getting paid the salary you were promised is being exalted now? Wow.

In any case, if a private sector company fails, then presumably employees bear some of the burden of not being able to deliver high enough quality work in a cost effective manner. But the government isn't shut down because of what the workers did. It's shut down because of Trumpy's temper tantrums and McConnell's enabling that has nothing to do with the government not working. It's all about Trumpy's refusal to accept what the voters in November 2018 said loud and clear - WE DO NOT WANT THE STUPID WALL. He cares more about Ann Coulter and Russ Limbaugh than millions and millions of Americans, but fortunately, Pelosi and the Democrats are making sure he doesn't get the opportunity to ignore us.
I care about the wall, I care about e verify, I care about stripping non Americans their rights to come and remain here. Speak for yourself.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:33 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Need some explanation here. For those who didn’t work, why should they be paid?

Before you argue it’s not their fault, it’s not the taxpayers’ fault either. In the private sector, if a company shuts down due to slow sales, nobody would be paid.

Since they will get the pay back for not doing any work, that’s like paid vacation! Frankly, all the whining from the federal employees is only because they have no savings when they know government shutdowns are not rare events.
I really cannot believe that even with a nasty stingy president in office, you would post this appalling opinion.

Those people were not given a choice--they were told to stay home. Now you think they should have been told--you cannot come to work and you cannot get paid until we tell you to come back.

And workers, no, this is not Russia though it sounds like it--this is MAGA!

it is the way our childish president gets what he wants, so he mistakenly believes. Ruin lives, do not inspect food, do not inspect airlines, bye-bye Coast Guard (except at Maralago), bye-bye National Park Rangers (except at the Trump Hotel in DC).

Please come up with something even more Draconian to punish innocent bystanders of the Trump Tantrum Shutdown. Let the penurious Mr. Trump pay them if his supporters can't stand the thought of the victims of Trump's Shutdown getting the actual wages they are owed. They are following orders from the top.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:36 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
the fed workers have better leverage to negotiate their back pay ^^ media has their back

thought private sector workers knew how to leverage a negotiation on pay

Old 01-17-2019, 11:38 AM

1,066 posts, read 629,644 times
I worked during the 16 day shutdown during Obama as a federal officer. all my peers stayed home, playing video games and tv. They came back and got paid as if nothing happened, I didn't get the luxury because I was essential and had to work regardless.

Im glad they are paid, but everyone already knew they would? it's required. What I dont understand is the medias hype over it. Its not a big deal.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:57 AM

14,228 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I worked during the 16 day shutdown during Obama as a federal officer. all my peers stayed home, playing video games and tv. They came back and got paid as if nothing happened, I didn't get the luxury because I was essential and had to work regardless.

Im glad they are paid, but everyone already knew they would? it's required. What I dont understand is the medias hype over it. Its not a big deal.
same here.

some of the old timers I work with survived the 21 days shutdown under Clinton

Old 01-17-2019, 11:59 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
In the private sector, if a company shuts down due to slow sales, nobody would be paid.
But the company didn't shut down due to slow sales. It shut down because the top brass didn't do their job. The top brass are still getting paid on your dime though, while the rank and file federal worker suffers the consequences of someone else's screw up.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:00 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
As of January 16, the workers in just one agency - DHS - were owed ONE BILLION in back pay. The NYT has an eye opening graphic about this.

If they are stiffed for that money, where will it go instead? Remember that money comes out of everyone's pocket in the form of taxes. So where will the American people's money go? The Wall? Infrastructure? Answer: It will vanish into the Swamp. I'd rather the people guarding our borders got it - not some swamp creature.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:00 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post

It is not required, it takes an act of congress to pay furloughed nonexcepted workers. The act happened to go through yesterday, but it still took signing of a bill.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
You know what's even nicer? Getting paid in full, on time, while you sit around and do nothing. That's what the Congress and Senate are getting, despite being at fault for this whole mess.

I don't see many threads asking why they should be getting paid though. Much easier to target the rank and file government worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies