Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 08:05 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times

Advertisements

Need some explanation here. For those who didn’t work, why should they be paid?

Before you argue it’s not their fault, it’s not the taxpayers’ fault either. In the private sector, if a company shuts down due to slow sales, nobody would be paid.

Since they will get the pay back for not doing any work, that’s like paid vacation! Frankly, all the whining from the federal employees is only because they have no savings when they know government shutdowns are not rare events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Congress approved and Trump signed legislation yesterday guaranteeing retroactive pay to all employees. This legislation is not limited to this shutdown.

The Senate vote was unanimous. 7 House Reps voted against it because it applied to future shutdowns.

Why not ask Trump?

Old 01-17-2019, 08:17 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Congress approved and Trump signed legislation yesterday guaranteeing retroactive pay to all employees. This legislation is not limited to this shutdown.

The Senate vote was unanimous. 7 House Reps voted against it because it applied to future shutdowns.

Why not ask Trump?
I don’t agree with Trump on everything.

What’s the moral justification for this?

Old 01-17-2019, 08:19 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

What does morality have to do with a discussion about Trump's actions?

Old 01-17-2019, 08:23 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,009 times
Quote:

Before you argue it’s not their fault, it’s not the taxpayers’ fault either. In the private sector, if a company shuts down due to slow sales, nobody would be paid.

Since they will get the pay back for not doing any work, that’s like paid vacation! Frankly, all the whining from the federal employees is only because they have no savings when they know government shutdowns are not rare events.

Um, it is the taxpayers' fault, as we vote these people into office. Now, I didn't vote for Trump, but the way our government functions means he is the president for all of this. He speaks for the taxpayers, and he made this choice. (Full disclosure--I think it was a bad decision of EPIC proportions!)

Quote:

The moral justification is that federal workers are employed in service to the country. They have no control over a shut-down. And consider that without pay, many would need government services to make ends meet, which is a cost to the taxpayers.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 AM

639 posts, read 971,016 times
Can you imagine the mass exodus of employees if they were not going to get paid? There's a good chance a lot of them are seeking work elsewhere anyway with this stunt. If the entire workforce of the federal government were not going to be paid, and knowing that this is basically a "I didn't get my way so I'm shutting the government down" tantrum - with a good chance it happens again the next time he doesn't get his way, there would be a complete employment crisis.

In addition - many of them ARE still showing up to work because their work is essential (TSA comes to mind). I would hope you would think they should still be paid.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
Well if the worker is forced to keep working without a paycheck they should certainly be paid once the budget is approved.

If the worker is on a salary and is sent home through no fault of their own they should be paid.

The real fault lies in the Democrat leaders that are refusing to talk about common sense border security. Where was Pelosi and others when the shutdown began? They went to Puerto Rico to hang out on the beach. Nice.

The workers are not to blame and they are the ones suffering while the politicians continue to get paid and go about their lives. That should speak volumes about who they are.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:31 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,585,304 times
Quote:

first, company shuts down due to low sales is not something anyone can control. government shut down is.

second, it is the taxpayers fault. Trump and the democrat politicians in DC are voted by the tax payers. We put them in power.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:33 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well if the worker is forced to keep working without a paycheck they should certainly be paid once the budget is approved.

If the worker is on a salary and is sent home through no fault of their own they should be paid.

The real fault lies in the Democrat leaders that are refusing to talk about common sense border security. Where was Pelosi and others when the shutdown began? They went to Puerto Rico to hang out on the beach. Nice.

The workers are not to blame and they are the ones suffering while the politicians continue to get paid and go about their lives. That should speak volumes about who they are.

As IF Trump isn't at bare minimum guilty of the same?

And let's not forget, Trump gladly accepted responsibility for the shutdown. So, should we not hold him responsible or was he just LYING which is certainly not an uncommon occurrence?

BTW, Let's see some proof of your otherwise baseless allegation that Pelosi went to Puerto Rico to "hang out on the beach".

Old 01-17-2019, 08:33 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,648,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

You need to stop stating incorrect information.

39 Democrats out of, what, 235 (don't have the exact number handy) went to Puerto Rico to meet with the U.S. citizens to get a status of post hurricane recover relief efforts from Hurricane Maria. Pelosi did not go on this trip and was right here helping to produce spending bills that MM will not even look at.

Trump lied and said she went as did the right wing media. Even though it's been reported dozens of times she did not go, you won't stop repeating the #FakeNews.

You know, Cape Cod Todd, I generally find you to be a respectful poster and I think you care, unlike some of the others here; however, when I see you parrot wrong information it makes me doubt anything else you might post and, believe it or not, I do like to have an honest dialogue with people.

Last edited by ChristineVA; 01-17-2019 at 08:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies