Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 10:50 AM

8 posts, read 4,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I hope so. Stand strong Trump!!!!!
No Trump will likely not fold but Congress will and force the issue when the things like I mentioned in my first post just make it too painful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 11:19 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The Optics are not good for the Leftists when they constantly hope for some sort of Armageddon to befall the USA ...... BUT, they simply can't help themselves.

Is that the great Leftist Hope now ...... Planes to fall out of the sky and kill people?
That's not a hope. That is a possibility of what can happen if this shutdown continues. Surely you know the difference.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:21 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
During the 1995 Shutdown. I was interviewd by a Boston News Channel during that shutdown. I was a Federal Employee at the time working 2 jobs. I was asked the same question then, as this thread is asking. My response was either the President will end it. Or employees will be forced to eventually walk off the job. That it would not be sustainable to live without income. Fortunately soon after that shutdown ended. This present one is different and meaner. There appears to be no end. Politicians refuse to talk, and deal with the severity of it.

I feel the exact same way today 24 years later. I saw back then the Govt was no longer a worthy employer. 4 years later in 1999 I took an early retirement during a downsizing in my agency. I then went full time with my part time job. I have no regrets.

My view is Federal Workers should not tolerate this, beyond next weeks payday. If there is no pay and no end in sight then Walk.

That is my view on how this shutdown will end. Forcing the obvious. No employees then it can't continue.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,588 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
That's a question for the President and the Senate majority leader.
I was watching CSPAN yesterday when a democrat from Maryland was trying to get a vote on six bills that would end the shut down. Mitch McConnell was giving the most exasperating responses that i have ever seen.

They have declared war on the American public.
Yes. McConnell has vowed not to introduce a Bill that President Trump isn't in favor of. GEEZ.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:27 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

Here's an interesting article from USA Today and it's bleak as hell. It acknowledges that the majority of Americans blame Trump for the shut down, and gives the five scenarios of how the shut down will end.

The first 4 they predict won't happen, and believe option 5, of Trump declaring a State of Emergency and appropriating funds all by himself to build the wall is what is likely to happen. And then, the wall will be stuck in the court system until all of us are dead and gone.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nd/2565793002/

Old 01-18-2019, 10:29 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The Optics are not good for the Leftists when they constantly hope for some sort of Armageddon to befall the USA ...... BUT, they simply can't help themselves.

Is that the great Leftist Hope now ...... Planes to fall out of the sky and kill people?
Sort of like the RWNJ’s praying nightly for RBG to croak?

Old 01-18-2019, 10:34 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Someone dies from eating an E. Coli contaminated product that could have easily been caught by a routine inspection. There are already 40 million+ food illnesses per year, and thousands die. Let's just make it worse

Old 01-18-2019, 10:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here's an interesting article from USA Today and it's bleak as hell. It acknowledges that the majority of Americans blame Trump for the shut down, and gives the five scenarios of how the shut down will end.

The first 4 they predict won't happen, and believe option 5, of Trump declaring a State of Emergency and appropriating funds all by himself to build the wall is what is likely to happen. And then, the wall will be stuck in the court system until all of us are dead and gone.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nd/2565793002/
Pelosi and all the other slimey scumbag Democrats, were ready to cut and run to hob nob at Davos, instead of taking care of business.
Are they really that out of touch? The world really does revolve around the dumb ass Democrats.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:38 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life changes View Post
I think the lack of compensation- pay for the 800,000 workers and 1 million contractors- is key to ending the shutdown.

If there is a commonality to people in America is we want it NOW! Yes, President Trump signed a bill that said the government will pay the 800,000 Federal workers when the government shutdown ends. But what if it does not end for 6-9-12 months or longer. People will run out of money and go nuts. Many will quit, others will do work slowdowns, others will call in sick, others will act out. People want their money now!

Eventually, the services provided by the government will become so terrible Congress and the powerbrokers will finally notice.

How long would you wait for your next paycheck even if they told you that it would be paid eventually?
I think the solution to this problem lies outside Washington. This situation will eventually create unrelenting pressure to do something. Asking employees to do without a paycheck for a pay period or two is not that problematic. However, as time wears on they won't stand for it. Eventually, unpaid employees wil stop coming to work. TSA will totally shut down or become completely unworkable for airline passengers. As this happens, corporations will be unable to fly executives where they need to get. Communities will also begin to suffer as they lack the purchasing power the federal workers had. If Coast Guard employees fail to show up for work, the damage to foreign commerce and fishing will be heavy.

I can see a situation that gets completely out of hand. Threats against Congressmen. Vandalism of federal buildings. The President unable to show up at any public venue because of security considerations.

I think outside pressure is what will ultimately compel a result. Washington has broken down.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Pelosi and all the other slimey scumbag Democrats, were ready to cut and run to hob nob at Davos, instead of taking care of business.
Are they really that out of touch? The world really does revolve around the dumb ass Democrats.
She wasn't going to Davos. That was a different group of people, different event.

She was going to Afghanistan. And 7 republicans were going with her.

(Bet they're just as relieved as she when they found out their trip was cancelled).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies