Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 05:23 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
You think she ought to have her issue looked at? Thanks a bunch, I'll pass that on to her for you. In fact I wonder why she hadn't thought of having it looked at before?

She HAS had her issued looked at -- extensively -- and there is nothing they can do about it. And no she doesn't have to take a lot -- she just has to take more than anyone is willing to prescribe to her any more if they want to keep their medical licenses and/or if she wants any measure of pain relief.
How much is not alot but more than she can get prescribed? From what I've seen, there is no problem getting long term relief, you just can't get long term supplies. You have to go more often.

Towards the end my mom could get all the relief she needed. Just not in large supplies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 09:30 AM

1,203 posts, read 618,390 times
The Controlled Substance does recognize several special groups. The terminally ill is one of them. Most pharmacists will give them more leeway as long as the prescriber properly annotated the Rx. That doesn't mean they can go wild but be understanding of earlier fills than others. If you work long enough in certain pharmacies, you will begin to recognize comfort Rx for them.

Over prescribing is a big issue. The US uses the majority of all pain medication manufactured in the world. Very few prescribers actually prescribe in the recommended matter for chronic pain. The fact that you should rely more on extended release formulations and not immediate release is something they almost never follow.

I know my problem prescribers. Most are no longer practicing. They have either had their license suspended by the state or DEA charged them. We have one left in the area, a Pediatrician who fancies himself a pain management provider for adults. He prescribed significantly more than anyone else. He prescribed the "holy" Trinity and he gives multiple benzodiazepines to people. The pharmacy community is trying to send a message by refusing to fill. Hopefully, he will get the message before he kills someone.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:36 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
The Controlled Substance does recognize several special groups. The terminally ill is one of them. Most pharmacists will give them more leeway as long as the prescriber properly annotated the Rx. That doesn't mean they can go wild but be understanding of earlier fills than others. If you work long enough in certain pharmacies, you will begin to recognize comfort Rx for them.

Over prescribing is a big issue. The US uses the majority of all pain medication manufactured in the world. Very few prescribers actually prescribe in the recommended matter for chronic pain. The fact that you should rely more on extended release formulations and not immediate release is something they almost never follow.

I know my problem prescribers. Most are no longer practicing. They have either had their license suspended by the state or DEA charged them. We have one left in the area, a Pediatrician who fancies himself a pain management provider for adults. He prescribed significantly more than anyone else. He prescribed the "holy" Trinity and he gives multiple benzodiazepines to people. The pharmacy community is trying to send a message by refusing to fill. Hopefully, he will get the message before he kills someone.
It was 'safer' for addicts to abuse pills from a pharmacy versus street heroin or other drugs.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:42 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Have any of you been prescribed such legal pharma products? I have, having to have had 2 c-sections to deliver 9 pound frank breech babies who sure as hell were not going to be born the usual way (vaginal delivery). The barbiturates made me nauseous. I wouldn't take them any more than what was absolutely necessary. How the hell does anyone get addicted to that chit?

Old 01-19-2019, 09:50 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Have any of you been prescribed such legal pharma products? I have, having to have had 2 c-sections to deliver 9 pound frank breech babies who sure as hell were not going to be born the usual way (vaginal delivery). The barbiturates made me nauseous. I wouldn't take them any more than what was absolutely necessary. How the hell does anyone get addicted to that chit?
Opioids produce feelings of euphoria in most people, but there are some that do not experience this, my ex-wife was one, she would just get tired and sick.

I explained what it felt like to my dad one time..."Imagine taking an instant feel great, be in a great mood, no physical or emotional pain, tons of motivation, pill every day".

Old 01-19-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I had them prescribed to me when I had shingles. I did not take them, while it was uncomfortable for a few days it wasn't that bad.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:56 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Corporations are not people. But when people at corporations speak, their speech is the protected speech of people. As well it should be.
The problem is the captains of the ship hide behind the corporation when caught in criminal actions. The fines come out of the corporation that employees and consumers end up paying for rather than out of the captains pocket.

The risk is all paid for by the people below the captains driving the ship and many times they get a golden parachute while everyone else sinks with the ship.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
The problem is the captains of the ship hide behind the corporation when caught in criminal actions. The fines come out of the corporation that employees and consumers end up paying for rather than out of the captains pocket.

The risk is all paid for by the people below the captains driving the ship and many times they get a golden parachute while everyone else sinks with the ship.
That's true but two different issues. I've defended the Citizen United ruling over and over but also condemned the problem you note.

Can you make a decent argument that they are intertwined? Yes, I believe you can but that is our fault for allowing that.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:05 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I had them prescribed to me when I had shingles. I did not take them, while it was uncomfortable for a few days it wasn't that bad.
Shingles? Really? In comparison to surgically opening up a woman's abdomen and uterus to safely extract a baby? You must have a very low pain threshold.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:34 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
You think she ought to have her issue looked at? Thanks a bunch, I'll pass that on to her for you. In fact I wonder why she hadn't thought of having it looked at before?

She HAS had her issued looked at -- extensively -- and there is nothing they can do about it. And no she doesn't have to take a lot -- she just has to take more than anyone is willing to prescribe to her any more if they want to keep their medical licenses and/or if she wants any measure of pain relief.
Depending on her monetary situation.....many pain sufferers have reported good results with Poppy Seed Tea.

As with a lot of things it's fully legal - until you drink it (probably still legal then, but not in an actual pharma sense)....

Poppy Seed Tea: Discover the Secrets of this Homemade High

Communities on reddit and elsewhere.

It is a pain lately.....now they want you back once a week or once a month or whatever. Apparently adults aren't consider adults any longer. Heck, I was treated like an addict when I bought a small pack of Sudafed yesterday for my cold.

BTW, the instructions docs give on not mixing opiates with booze or tranqs, etc. is GOOD ADVICE. When you research most opiate deaths you find such mixtures present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies