Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 07:38 AM

34 posts, read 253,170 times

Advertisements

America use to be known as a place of second chances. If you failed at something or made a bad choice you could pick your self up and dust your self off and start all over again. Since the start of the Internet age I am afraid this is not true anymore. Now days our whole history is on the Internet. People can look us up and see what others say about us. Our driving, criminal, credit, education, certifications, pictures, age, address, home value, and mistakes are all over the Internet. Employers can look you up and see how old you are before they even call you in for an interview. A trespassing charge in a civil rights demonstration is stopping my friend from getting a good job. It is just not fair!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:02 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Teacher View Post
America use to be known as a place of second chances. If you failed at something or made a bad choice you could pick your self up and dust your self off and start all over again. Since the start of the Internet age I am afraid this is not true anymore. Now days our whole history is on the Internet. People can look us up and see what others say about us. Our driving, criminal, credit, education, certifications, pictures, age, address, home value, and mistakes are all over the Internet. Employers can look you up and see how old you are before they even call you in for an interview. A trespassing charge in a civil rights demonstration is stopping my friend from getting a good job. It is just not fair!
Perhaps your friend should have considered the consequences before he trespassed upon someone elses property and violated the law.

p.s. I failed to see where you really issue a good argument against people knowing who they are looking to do business with, or hire. Personally, as someone who has lots $150,000 + doing business with a crook, had his name been all over the internet as a "known crook".. it would have saved me a ton of money. Now, his name is all over the internet...saving others from the hardship that I endured.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:10 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Yes, we used to be about a 2nd chance, like when mom said, stop doing that or I will bust your bottom. THAT was our second chance. Today mom yells, "stop that" for three hours in the car, all the way to Palookaville and now it no longer has any value or meaning.

Now our second chance is a three strike law where Joe perv happens to molest your daughter on his second chance because he knows he has at least two more second chances left.

As you point out, a trespassing charge is preventing your friend from getting a good job, well that is unfortunate, but there are other jobs. There was a time where it was perfectly legal in the US to refuse to give a job to a person based on nothing more than the color of your skin, your gender, or religious beliefs.

If nothing else it should be a lesson that actions have consequences and with a second, third or fourth chance comes the diminished respect and character for not valuing this most basic principle. In todays age, technology does not let us forget our mistakes and for everyone who doesn't get a job from a past harmless trespassing charge there will be two will not get hired at the bank because they once stole, or hired at a day care center because they were once charged with lude behavior.

Actions do have consequences, sadly too many only discover this later in life than sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies