Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 08:30 AM

39,845 posts, read 26,477,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I have never met a thief who didn't feel justified in their thefts. I am not at all surprised that some feel stealing from someone who has more is justified.
At least an actual thief has some degree of courage and perhaps...work ethic. Modern liberals are worse-they want the government to do the thievery for them and in turn hand them the proceeds-in return for doing nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 08:37 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,936,234 times
They already do. The rich pay a majority of federal income taxes and half the county pays none. This is America. The whole point of being rich is to have too much money, and I don't see the rich wanting to give it away. You should start giving your money away to people in third world countries and the homeless. I bet you haven't given a dime.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:51 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Robin Hood took the tax revenue from the governing entity and returned it to those who actually paid the taxes. I'm all for that.
Dennis Moore did the same with lupines, if I remember my history lessons accurately

Old 01-18-2019, 09:53 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
With apologies for the "naked savage" phrase, I agree with the rest of this quote.

"Today you’re supposed to apologize to every naked savage, anywhere on the globe, because you are more prosperous, because you’ve earned your money.

You have to feel guilty and apologize for it, while he doesn’t intend to learn from you. He just wants your money.” Ayn Rand
Right. The government is mostly an organization used to live at the expense of others. It’s so easy for politicians to tell people that they’re victims, and that if you put them in power they’ll make things “fair”.

The only way I’m a victim is if someone else stops me from producing wealth, or takes wealth I rightfully earned. I don’t care if some guy produces something that people want to pay him for and he gets very wealthy. That doesn’t victimize anyone else in any way.

Apparently many people have the mindset of a child, expecting that they’re entitled to things without providing value in return. As long as you’re an able-bodied adult, getting what you give is true fairness.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:59 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Dennis Moore did the same with lupines, if I remember my history lessons accurately
Hence the well-known comedy sketch.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:09 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Dead people don’t have rights.
Actually they do. That’s why we have wills.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:19 AM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Prove it!
https://inequality.org/research/self...cinating-rich/

Old 01-18-2019, 10:34 AM

7,502 posts, read 4,346,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Depends. Did they earn it, or just get given it because of who they are? And in the end...thats the thing that fascinates me. Many of the super rich didn't earn it.

90%+ death taxes with laws about transferring wealth to evade it would be fine with me.
As long as it wasn't gained from criminal activity. I don't think it really matters whether they earned it, inherited it, won the lottery, or if it was given to them. It's their's and no one else is entitled to it, and they should be free to do with it as they please.

The only exception would be to buy off politicians, or use their wealth to influence elections for their own personal gain. Such as what billionaire and major donor to the Democrat Party Tom Steyer tried to do in Arizona with his clean energy initiative. Steyer has money invested in clean energy technology and stood to make a fortune if this had passed. He spent millions of his own money getting this on the ballot and millions advocating for its passage. It would have raised Arizonans utility bills exponentially as they did in California where this initiative also backed by Steyer passed. Thank God he lost and it serves him right. Just think of what that money could have been used for to help the poor? Maybe Steyer should take a stroll along 5th and San Pedro Streets in Los Angeles? He could then ask the residents living in tents how his initiative is helping them? So much for wealthy Democrats being for the poor.

One things for sure you'll never get rich or even live a comfortable life if you sit on your dead ass all your life and do nothing but complain about what others have as compared to what you don't. I don't see how being envious of others can ever make anyone happy? Unless you're Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffett or someone like that. No matter what you have there's always going to be someone who has more than you and is living better than you. Myself? I've learned to appreciate what I have and not worry about whether someone has a better car than me or lives in a nicer house and in a better neighborhood.

Quote:
Billionaire Energy Speculator Tom Steyer Bankrolls Arizona...
environmentalprogress.org/big-news/2018/4/10/billionaire-energy-speculator-tom-steyer-bank-rolls-arizona-initiative-that-would-close-americas-single-largest-source-of-clean-energy
Apr 10, 2018 ... Tom Steyer, a billionaire energy speculator, is bank-rolling an Arizona ballot ... largest single source of clean energy — and replace it with fossil fuels. ... York Times that he continued to make money from his investments even ...

California Billionaire Tom Steyer—A Crony Capitalist – In Defense...
indefenseofliberty.blog/2018/09/20/california-billionaire-tom-steyer-a-crony-capitalist/
Sep 20, 2018 ... Steyer has been pushing clean energy across the nation, most recently in Nevada and Arizona. ... EFW (Energy, Food, and Water), a company that funds solar companies ... to push his political agenda to amass a fortune for his own investments. ... Because it is a constitutional change under Arizona's Voter ...

Do we trust a California billionaire pushing solar, or Arizona...
tucson.com/news/local/do-we-trust-a-california-billionaire-pushing-solar-or-arizona/article_401f33d4-625d-5c08-80a0-010e130b3ae7.html
May 23, 2018 ... Tom Steyer's Tucson visit highlights Arizona's energy dilemma. ... is putting the money behind the clean-energy initiative that may be on ... And one thing we can be sure about with APS is that the company will do what it takes to keep its .... of titans: Millions spent by both sides on renewable energy measure ...

Tom Steyer is Target in Arizona's Clean Energy Fight | Phoenix...
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...fight-10450269
May 28, 2018 ... "Tom Steyer wants you to fund his latest scheme by doubling your utility bills," intones an attack ad from the group Reliable Energy Policy.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-18-2019 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-18-2019, 10:43 AM

7,502 posts, read 4,346,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Says the vulture.
In reply to:
Quote:
"Dead people don’t have rights."
Outstanding!

Old 01-18-2019, 10:55 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Most rich people don't earn their wealth honestly. Particularly billionaires. People like the CEO of sears are vultures who make the world worse for everyone but themselves. People who make millions or billions while paying their employees who make their business possible peanuts for wages also don't deserve their wealth. It's not envy for someone to expect to be compensated with enough money to live off of when they work full time yet the wealthy are the worst whiners there are, never happy with having everything they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Your link did not prove what you said before. You said "most rich people don't earn their wealth honestly" and that they were "vultures".

Your link only shows that some of those who are wealthy had a privileged upbringing, and some inherited some of the money that they got. But that doesn't mean that they were "vultures" or that they sat on their behinds and did nothing else. You all think someone who inherited $1 million did nothing else? They just sat there, living the high life? A million does not go that far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies