Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:05 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Have you ever looked at the stats on violence towards African Americans? It's mostly a result of black on black violence. So BLM would be far more effective if they focused on issues in black communities. That's if you really believe BLM was created to actually help African American people.
BLM do advocate against black on black victim violence if it represents itself in forms like a black officer harassing a poc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 09:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
All the soclail justice warriors moved on to metoo.
Metoo is part of the social justice movement.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:13 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but the fact that you'd even create a thread like this....

I assume the lives of black people never really mattered to you.
When you "assume" you know what you get right?

Old 01-21-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
If people want to know the truth....they can. People don't really want to know the truth....they just want to try to discredit and distract from movements that seek to expose racism.
I think thats simply due to there not being this implied racism. If I see a racist, I'll call that person out. Systemic racism is not based in reality though. A black person has the same ability to get a job as a white person, probably more opportunity because laws protect the black persons rights more that a white persons. Show me a racist and I'll join you in persecuting that racist. Show me a percieved dark shadow figure racists, and I'm going to ask for proof, or it doesnt exist.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
So, you think it's just a particular contrived agenda, that police shouldn't be shooting unarmed citizens?

I'm white, I think the country should be furious at the shootings, and I don't think it's lost traction just because the slogan isn't constantly quoted.
Most of the shootings I've seen have been during a resisting arrest situation, a few have been on "perp with a gun" calls, and a few are just down right murder. But, we have a good system here. If you ever want to have nightmares and puke for a night, google Basillian prison violence and you'll start to put how awesome our legal system is into perspective.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I think thats simply due to there not being this implied racism. If I see a racist, I'll call that person out. Systemic racism is not based in reality though. A black person has the same ability to get a job as a white person, probably more opportunity because laws protect the black persons rights more that a white persons. Show me a racist and I'll join you in persecuting that racist. Show me a percieved dark shadow figure racists, and I'm going to ask for proof, or it doesnt exist.
If you call a racist out, it will probably be to chastise them for coming out in the open and making themselves easily identifiable, thus giving ammunition to the left. If you are expecting to hear someone talking like Archie Bunker these day, and to you that’s racism, then no...you are not going to see racism much. There is a potential social and professional cost of explicit racism. This is why racism today is implicit. It’s like terrorist. Terrorist don’t go around letting people know about their intentions or things they have done. I am sure that if the did, and you met one, you would call that person out. It does not work that way, however, and you should know this. By your logic, we don’t need airport security and the TSA because there are no explicit terrorist and you don’t believe in looking for implicit signals of terrorist. Fortunately the government does not think like you or it would not be safe to fly. Think about the next flight you take, how their checks for implicit signs of people up to no good makes you safer. Then apply that to implicit racism.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:25 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Wonder what "cause" is on the BLM folks's minds now? You don't seem to hear about that movement anymore. Why did they lose so much traction? Why have the media stopped pushing their agenda?
Who?

Old 01-21-2019, 07:35 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
A black person has the same ability to get a job as a white person, probably more opportunity because laws protect the black persons rights more that a white persons. Show me a racist and I'll join you in persecuting that racist. Show me a percieved dark shadow figure racists, and I'm going to ask for proof, or it doesnt exist.
Well, isn't testimony proof? It's important to establish such things.
Then, also, are you starting from a position where you think your take is correct? I think you are.

It's one of those things that if it needs explaining to you then you probably won't understand it. Only by reading thousands of pages of testimony (history, memoirs) would you even get an inkling of what goes on.

But let me tell you clearly - that your premise is incorrect.

I was an employer from 1980-1998 in retail in the "more progressive" Mid-Atlantic. I can raise my right hand and swear to you that a Black applicant for jobs in either my business or similar businesses was at a severe disadvantage - even if they were a skilled tradesperson. You see - it wasn't all about our internal chemistry or racism, it was what HAD to pop into your head "Will those fancy-ass customers of mine (she was a cheerleader, he was a jock) be even the least taken back dealing with black folks?".

This was the era of the crime of DWB (Driving While Black). I became friendly with some youth at an org I volunteered for...this dude had an American black dad and a German White mom (lots of such unions due to our military bases there). He said he and his friends had maps when they drove anywhere and then KNEW which roads and towns to avoid. If they drove through those areas, the Police would likely stop them.

Now....this is 1990+ I am talking about. Yet you spout that they have equal or better opportunity.

It's foolish on its face. Sorry, but you simply don't have the experience or knowledge to know.

In the South when I was born (1950's) they were burning the houses and shooting black folks who were rumored to have joined the NAACP (for the right to vote). When I lived in WV in the early 1970's my elder friend (88 at the time) told me "Yep, the last black person we saw came through here about 50 years ago and they accused him of rape and chased him out with shotguns".

You really have a lot to learn. I hope you start soon.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:20 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
BLM managed to get just the one triggerman cop in Chicago for putting an entire clip into Laquan MacDonald several years ago.

Despite getting caught redhanded in a huge cover-up which including millions in payoffs to Laquans family and other cops lying....nobody else suffered any real consequences.

Moral of the story? It's good to have political protection that can make BLM, the media, NAACP and others "go easy" on you. Quite the contrast to what happened in Ferguson, MO.

BLM is never going to get far when the large urban police departments which are the worst offenders can be shielded politically, or back off when the color of the cop isn't conveniently white and so forth.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:25 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
If you call a racist out, it will probably be to chastise them for coming out in the open and making themselves easily identifiable, thus giving ammunition to the left. If you are expecting to hear someone talking like Archie Bunker these day, and to you that’s racism, then no...you are not going to see racism much. There is a potential social and professional cost of explicit racism. This is why racism today is implicit.
So it's something that you can't see, hear, smell, or detect, like a bogyman.

Becomes a perfect tool to for whatever argument that is made. Much like "terror" which you so correctly compared it too. The party using the tool isn't accountable and they have perfectly made it about the messenger instead of the message.

One just needs to cry out "racism". No proof is needed according to you.

It's an essential ingredient for logical fallacy too.

Thank you for summing up "racism" exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies