Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2019, 09:47 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Of course he made the right move by walking out. He would make the right move according to his supporters no matter what that move was or wasn't. The man is infallible!
He obviously failed in securing a deal, no doubt about it. He owns that now.

But that's not what's important. I'm not interested that he failed in this last summit or the summit before it... I'm interested to see how the situation evolves and new methods/tactics are tried. When you fail a final in your first year of college, you don't say "Welp, I guess that's it for my career, time to quit school and work at McDonalds for the rest of my life", you figure out what went wrong and make corrections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 09:48 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know why Trump is cuddling up to that monster, and his supporters are cheering it.

God.

Edited to add: I just now saw the post above mine. Money. Ok, now I get it.

Keep your family close and your families closer.....................

Old 02-28-2019, 09:48 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
So I wonder if Trump is still "in love" with the little homicidal psychopath. Breaking up is hard to do.
Apparently he is as he took Kim's word that he knew nothing of what was happening to Otto while he was in custody. Trump is such an idiot.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:53 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
An historic meeting. Trump-Kim mania grips Hanoi. The latest:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...054914749.html
The democratic party undermined the historical significance of this meeting by holding a
public media circus surrounding Michael Cohen at the same exact time. The democratic
party exposed themselves once more and will stop at nothing. There are geopolitical
advantages to work towards a unified Korea and a possible future trading partner and only
President Donald Trump has had the courage to step up to the plate.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Trade deals are newsworthy,noteworthy, except this one, is “so” I thought you were above it
Of course they are newsworthy.

I only object to creating and sustaining a perception that Trump alone is responsible for trade deals, like this, which are negotiated by multinational corporations.

Boeing, with HQ in Chicago, has operations in 150 countries and counting. The company is critical to US trade balances.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:56 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
I think this whole thing is a show for stupid people.

Everyone with half a brain knows that North Koreans will not give up nuclear weapons, not now and not ever. They especially won't do it with some grand public deal between two megalomaniacs; if anything, it would be a very gradual and incremental process. They know damn well that nukes are what's keeping them alive and without them they would already have ended up like Libya or Iraq.

Trump knows all this, but he finds great marketing value in putting on a show; it's what he's good at. Here he gets to (1) distract from other challenges at home, (2) portray himself as a good leader trying to push where others haven't, and (3) show himself as "tough" after past time by saying he walked away.

Kim Jong Un, by the way, also knows nothing will happen but also gets great marketing value from it - even moreso than Trump. He's publicly on the world stage with the leader of the USA.

Reality is that everyone involved knew this is a sham, but there are real benefits on both sides in shoring up domestic support among the ranks of the stupid.

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
The democratic party undermined the historical significance of this meeting by holding a
public media circus surrounding Michael Cohen at the same exact time. The democratic
party exposed themselves once more and will stop at nothing. There are geopolitical
advantages to work towards a unified Korea and a possible future trading partner and only
Trump failed to bring home the bacon. And he looked like a fool in the process. It's on him. No one else.

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Statesmen who know what they are doing let their respective state departments work out deals in private, where you can suggest a trade of concessions and advantages without having to manage the PR of every single possibility. Then you hold the summit, with pomp & circumstance and flourishes. The only exception in recent history that I can think of was Reykjavik in 1986 (God, I'm old) where Gorbachev changed the scope dramatically and the deal fell through.

Of course, Trump doesn't know what he's doing, has gutted the State Department, and appears to have internalized his own BS about being a great dealmaker.

The bolded is absolutely true. He could have stayed home and saved the country millions of dollars. What a glorious disaster this supposed summit was for Trump. Trump got nothing once again while his BFF got an all expense paid trip to Vietnam and his face shown all over the world. We all know which of the 2 knows what he is doing and it ain't Trump.

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Historical significance?

It turned into a nothingburger.

Would have made more sense to underplay this meeting and perhaps overdelivering if it was in the cards.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:01 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Trump is finally getting the bipartisan praise he craves. For failing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies