Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 11:07 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
He doesn't have to prove it, he only has to claim it.

He will do so. Gvot will reopen. He will take credit for that. He will fund the border wall from some other program. Wall construction will start. SOTU will happen at which time he will excoriate Democrats for their un-American stance on both the border and the shut down.

Win. Win. Win. Win.
Trump will go through the courts if he does. You know why...there is no national security at risk!!

Old 01-18-2019, 11:22 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Trump will go through the courts if he does. You know why...there is no national security at risk!!
Well, I sure can blow a few holes in your opinion.
When just one, not the many that have been raped, and or killed by illegals in this country, that is a national emergency.
Who the hell knows who would be next?
Perhaps you.

We pay out billions of dollars to illegals in many different programs, and could possibly lead to a financial crisis in the future,especially in states that can't afford it.
That too, is a national security issue.
Identity theft by illegals, falsifying documents is another national security issue, and the list goes on, and on.

You need to be educated as to what the illegal population in this country is doing, right under your nose.

Bob.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:23 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Congress passed the law to give the Pres authority to declare a national emergency.

In the last 40 years national emergencies have been declared over 50 times.

Sure the Dems can go to court.

The courts however are not going to get involved between Congress and the Pres.

If the Congress doesn't like the outcome of laws they passed, they can change those laws. Why would the courts intervene. Precedent is on Trumps side.

Do your research before spouting off about things you obviously know nothing about.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I'm not reading anything. I'm just going based on what it appears to me. Pres. Trump CAN'T back down from his demand for wall money, now that he's gone through all this the last month. IF he does, he's finished politically, and he knows it. So, this is a Hail Mary "I gotta save face" pass, AND his last chance to get something through, while looking like HE'S compromising something, YET the Dems still refuse.

IMO, Pelosi should give on this, and use it as wedge for something else she would want more in the future. A "you owe me Mr. President".
Trump originally wanted an additional 1.7b on top of the existing money for border security in the budget. This what the Senate voted yes on in the budget that was voted on in the last Congressional session, before Trump got in his head he need 5b for the wall. Mind you, this is the same bill that the House voted in the new session but now Senate will not see on the floor despite near unanimous support for in the previous session. If Pelosi compromises with the wall, she loses. She will be vilified by the Democrats and I'm with them, the wall is ineffective to stop immigration since the majority of illegal immigration in this country is from overstaying visas. If she caves, there WILL be a Democrat insurrection in the House, the likes of which Republicans should do to McConnell in the Senate for tabling the CRs that he is tabling because "Trump wouldn't sign them."

Trump needs to grow the Hell up. I work with behavior students who are more mature than he is and these kids are Kindergarten through second graders. They don't hold their breathe until they turn blue as bad as Trump is right now. Trump needs to realize he will tank the economy the longer this goes. I don't even think using a national emergency would in fact reopen the government. https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...utdown-1098628 So this means Trump would continue to stiff the workers who are furloughed, the "essential employees" and government contractors and the trickle down economics to come from these workers. And I thought Trump was good for the economy...

Old 01-18-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Congress passed the law to give the Pres authority to declare a national emergency.

In the last 40 years national emergencies have been declared over 50 times.

Sure the Dems can go to court.

The courts however are not going to get involved between Congress and the Pres.

If the Congress doesn't like the outcome of laws they passed, they can change those laws. Why would the courts intervene. Precedent is on Trumps side.

Do your research before spouting off about things you obviously know nothing about.
The problem is I don't see how the border is truly a national emergency. Trump COULD have done this two months ago when we had that caravan. The rumors of the second caravan are over-blown by Fox News. This is the issue here. It's not like Superstorm Sandy, bad tornados or 9/11 which are truly national emergencies. There is too much grey area and the use of a national emergency for immigration from the Mexican border (mind you most immigrants become illegal due to visas that are over-stayed and drugs coming at ports of entry rather than the border itself) might be out of the scope of the law.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem is I don't see how the border is truly a national emergency. Trump COULD have done this two months ago when we had that caravan. The rumors of the second caravan are over-blown by Fox News. This is the issue here. It's not like Superstorm Sandy, bad tornados or 9/11 which are truly national emergencies. There is too much grey area and the use of a national emergency for immigration from the Mexican border (mind you most immigrants become illegal due to visas that are over-stayed and drugs coming at ports of entry rather than the border itself) might be out of the scope of the law.
Nonetheless, the courts will decline to be involved imo. Too much precedent on his side.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:47 PM

8,336 posts, read 2,965,021 times
Quote:
I would love him to declare a state emergency because it means the government will re open. I don’t think he’ll do that though. He’d have to prove an emergency which there is none.
Uh, FYI millions of violent illegal alien criminals is a national emergency.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:49 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Yes there is, we are crawling with them. You want me to start throwing spitballs at them, or would you like to get me some help. Just wait till they are at your door, you will change your mind.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Nonetheless, the courts will decline to be involved imo. Too much precedent on his side.
The issue is this is a slippery slope and allow Presidents to have power for a national emergency for anything they see stalled in Congress that may or may not be a true emergency. This is why the courts should and will need to get involved and not just defer to the law. The border is not a true emergency at least in the way conservatives and Trump supporters think it is and the Trump administration even confirmed this themselves.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:02 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Uh, FYI millions of violent illegal alien criminals is a national emergency.
He can stop the current caravan by just closing the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies