Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2019, 05:04 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times

Advertisements

OP sees Alex Jones as a journalist.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:21 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Above it's pointed out that it does no good to single out one state and I agree with that but I don't buy that stat.

The problem is not regulated to one or two states.

Greed is the reason but the arguments are political.
Well, if it does no good to single out the state with the longest border with Mexico - where the largest numbers are....then, for certain it would do no good to build any wall there! Which is exactly why so many are against it....

But my take is that E-Verify in Texas would do more to solve the problems - both quicker and cheaper - than years of building a wall (when, in fact, there are a multitude of other ways people can come and stay)...

Take some of the emotion out of the issue - look at another issue....POT.

Now, my home state of MA. prides itself on caring about the citizens. We have near universal health care, the best hospitals and docs and some of the best colleges (and many other such things).

These educated and reasonable people don't believe in locking up 100's of thousands of people and ruining their lives for a garden herb. They also don't support the sending of people with guns (LE) to manhandle them and lock them up...at our expense.

If we preached this day-in and day-out and yet kept doing it while saying "We all know Pot is a Federal thing" (which it is), then we would be just like Texas.

But we aren't. So we decrimed it 6 years ago even for rec use and now it is legal to buy at stores for rec use.

It's done because we had the will and the votes.

Can't you see that Texas is effectively in the same position? If they wanted to do and provide a demo of the effectiveness and stop millions of illegals from working there, they could do it.

But they are not.

I guess we have a different take on the definition of political. I think this is more like hypocritical than political. When someone or an entity CAN do something but refuses to...whilst yelling that it needs to be done or the heavens will fall, that's hypocrisy in its pure form.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:32 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, if it does no good to single out the state with the longest border with Mexico - where the largest numbers are....then, for certain it would do no good to build any wall there! Which is exactly why so many are against it....
I'm not for the wall.

Quote:
But my take is that E-Verify in Texas would do more to solve the problems - both quicker and cheaper - than years of building a wall (when, in fact, there are a multitude of other ways people can come and stay)...
That is true for every state.

Quote:
Take some of the emotion out of the issue - look at another issue....POT.

Now, my home state of MA. prides itself on caring about the citizens. We have near universal health care, the best hospitals and docs and some of the best colleges (and many other such things).

These educated and reasonable people don't believe in locking up 100's of thousands of people and ruining their lives for a garden herb. They also don't support the sending of people with guns (LE) to manhandle them and lock them up...at our expense.

If we preached this day-in and day-out and yet kept doing it while saying "We all know Pot is a Federal thing" (which it is), then we would be just like Texas.

But we aren't. So we decrimed it 6 years ago even for rec use and now it is legal to buy at stores for rec use.

It's done because we had the will and the votes.

Can't you see that Texas is effectively in the same position? If they wanted to do and provide a demo of the effectiveness and stop millions of illegals from working there, they could do it.

But they are not.

I guess we have a different take on the definition of political. I think this is more like hypocritical than political. When someone or an entity CAN do something but refuses to...whilst yelling that it needs to be done or the heavens will fall, that's hypocrisy in its pure form.
People of Mass are not going to move over pot laws, illegals will. Besides, you are not thinking two steps ahead.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:28 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I want mandatory e-verify. I heard NOTHING about that. Why?
I don't know. It seems to have broader public support than a lot of potential immigration-related policies. Trump's better than the alternatives, but he is FAR from the ideal. He should be all over e-verify. It's so inexpensive and potentially so effective.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:31 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You think the courts would allow it? Not that it should be their decision, but everything a state does regarding immigration is always overruled by a federal judge.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:34 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You think the courts would allow it? Not that it should be their decision, but everything a state does regarding immigration is always overruled by a federal judge.
e-verify is done through the federal government. Legal. They are checking with the Feds to make sure someone is here legally. They can do that.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Of course the courts would allow it! It already is law in other states and even Texas pols never mentioned that the law doesn't allow it - rather they are scared of the economic consequences.

No question. They could do it next week.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I don't know. It seems to have broader public support than a lot of potential immigration-related policies. Trump's better than the alternatives, but he is FAR from the ideal. He should be all over e-verify. It's so inexpensive and potentially so effective.
But it's not symbolic. It doesn't have TRUMP on the top of it and he probably can't make as much money or political hay from it.

Trump is not a rational, productive or efficient person. If you start out with that fact you will have an easier time understanding why he does everything the hard way.

I would compare Trump to an employee I fired. There were two reasons, but #2 was really the kicker.

1. Every time he would go on sales trips and calls he would come back with promises "they are gonna buy in a month after...blah blah".

2. He was helping to run the assembly plant (small) when not on the road and one day I did a QC check on the appliances that were being made. The units I inspected had "leg bolts" which were too short....so they only caught by one thread turn. The result would be HOT 300lb items falling over when used inside a house (think freestanding wood stove)....
When I asked him why he was using short bolts, his answer was "we ran out of the longer and these were all they had at the hardware store".

I think this sums up Donald perfectly. Promises made and not kept and lack of ability to accomplish basic tasks.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:54 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No wonder his support from Hispanic Americans has skyrocketed since the shutdown. Crap like this right here to prove they are just a tool to be used.
Hispanic support for Trump passes the 50% mark!
And I can guarantee that Trump knew that - and it makes the Dems look like a bunch of jackarses.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:56 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
How disappointing for conservatives that Trump didn't just announce that he's firing Congress and annointing himself king (he'd use a replica Berder King crown).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies