Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:16 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
They shouldn't have to negotiate "in good faith"!!! They have the votes, they should absolutely have the right to say "no".

He's represents the minority without the votes to pass stuff he wants. Elections mean something as Trumpers like to say.
And what votes do they have? They don't have the votes to overturn his veto. Voting him out of office will be a little late considering the government shut down will last 2 years.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:17 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
After a federal employee has been furloughed for 30 days the president can fire them. The theory is that there are certain people he is trying to get rid of, that he couldn't get rid of before, and that he will just basically hire 90% of the people back after firing them.

However, I don't see why he would say it was an announcement regarding the boarder if that was what he was going to do.
It doesn't apply during a shutdown like this, though.

"As Federal News Network previously reported, agencies will not conduct targeted layoffs, otherwise known as reductions-in-force (RIFs), if the government shutdown hits the 30-day mark.

Federal statute typically instructs agencies to RIF targeted groups of employees who have been placed on furlough status for 30 days or more, but these regulations do not apply during a government shutdown, both OPM and the Office of Management and Budget have stressed."

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/gover...s-30-day-mark/

Old 01-18-2019, 06:17 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Well thank you! That makes sense in the context.
And it isn't true.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fe...rkers-30-days/

Whoops posted at the same time as someone else.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
It’s exactly what Pelosi has been saying they should do. He absolutely should do this.
Really? Pelosi has said that they should reopen for 3 weeks, and then if he doesn't get his way he should declare an emergency?

I thought Pelosi was saying they should reopen, pay the employees, and then continue to figure out what to do about this wall the pres is insisting on. As in, reopen, and we'll keep saying no.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:20 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Really? Pelosi has said that they should reopen for 3 weeks, and then if he doesn't get his way he should declare an emergency?

I thought Pelosi was saying they should reopen, pay the employees, and then continue to figure out what to do about this wall the pres is insisting on. As in, reopen, and we'll keep saying no.
I’m referring to her saying they should open temporarily and allow time to negotiate.

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...95559504764930

State of the Union = Broken government.
Congress cannot even secure endowed (sacred) rights (prosecute trespass; adjudicate disputes; defend against enemies, foreign or domestic).

Trump is going to take that power from Congress. 3pm tomorrow.

another extreme and unsupported claim from Bentbow that will never happen....

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:

In other words, Pelosi says to open the government for 3 weeks and then forget anything ever happened and keep the government open from then on with no chance of approving funding for a wall. Yup, like that's going to happen, LOL.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
And it isn't true.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fe...rkers-30-days/

Whoops posted at the same time as someone else.
Wait. That says this claim is true. From Snopes:

What's True
Under some circumstances, federal employees can be laid off in targeted "reduction in force" plans, or RiF, after 30 days of government shutdown.

What's False
The current shutdown is an "emergency shutdown" in which federal government employees cannot be laid off in RiF actions.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
In other words, Pelosi says to open the government for 3 weeks and then forget anything ever happened and keep the government open from then on with no chance of approving funding for a wall. Yup, like that's going to happen, LOL.
Yes. I think that's basically it. And I like the plan.

Reopen the govt, pay the workers, and then nope, forget your wall. But at least the federal workers will get paid and will have a little more time to seek employment elsewhere.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:25 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
Hopefully it’s a detailed plan for how the money will be put to use to strengthen the border
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies