Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 07:25 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
If someone actually has no money for food, then of course they need help. But barring special circumstances, some kind of crisis that has sapped all savings, it shouldn't come to that. If you're cruising along for years, working a government job, but have saved so little that you're out of food money after one check is late then, sorry, but you're irresponsible and I have little sympathy.
I agree that they played the doomsday card a bit early. The stories on the news of people possibly being evicted before their first missed paycheck were ridiculous. But the callousness of people dismissing actual problems with "you'll be paid eventually so stop whining" are equally ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 08:00 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How long would you work at a job if youre employer stopped paying you for the work you do?
If i were a federal employee id give it a month before the need for income would drive me to alternate employment.
The fed.guv hasn't stopped paying them. They've simply altered the schedule of payment. The back pay for anyone affected by the shutdown has already been approved. So the ones still going to work are getting paid, just on a different payment schedule than normal. The furloughed folks are all on paid vacations that don't count against their PTO. And the ones working through the deferred pay period are almost guaranteed to get bonuses. So either they are getting bonuses in actual salary or they are getting free paid time off.

How long would I do it? As long as my savings and my moonlighting at pizza delivery or bartending would cover me.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:25 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The fed.guv hasn't stopped paying them. They've simply altered the schedule of payment. The back pay for anyone affected by the shutdown has already been approved.
Untrue. Only federal employees will get back pay. There are 4.1 million federal contractors and contractors won't get back pay.

"federal workers will have to wait for back pay after the government shutdown ends, thousands more whose pay comes from federal contracts have little hope of recouping the pay ... those workers aren't eligible for back pay because they are paid by private companies with government contracts instead of being government employees. "

https://abcnews.go.com/US/shutdown-j...ry?id=60116026

Old 01-22-2019, 11:31 AM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And the
gas station
grocery store
insurance co
mortgage holder/landlord
cable company
bank
etc
are they also going to make concessions to furloughed employees.?
Yes, if the furloughed employee reaches out to the "insurance co" "mortgage holder/landlord" "cable company" "bank", then yes. A google search will tell you all of this. Not that you have to worry about it.

As for the "gas station" if the furloughed employee has a gasoline credit card, s/he can reach out to them.

If they are so stretched thin and can't even buy basic food items, food banks have advertised that they are there for them.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:33 AM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
You say this like it's the law .

Please, call my utility, city, mortgage company, phone company, and internet provider. Oh, and while you're at it, you can call the hotel we had to cancel last weekend, the rec dept. where we can't sign our kids up for activities for the spring, alllllllll the little girl scouts coming to our door with their delicious cookies, the other hotel we have reserved for a hockey tournament in a few weeks, etc. etc.
Do some googling if you don't believe it. Creditors are making concessions for them.

BTW, nowhere did I say it's "the law". I don't know where you got that from.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:21 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
When I lived up in the Sierra Nevada mountains my ex and I worked for a company that was salvaging an old warehouse. Something shady happened and we were told that we weren't getting paid that week, but we would get back pay when the funds came in. It got ugly pretty quick and the workers went crazy. There was an RV in the parking lot that got destroyed. My ex and I went back late one night and took some brass to salvage. We got paid. It was dangerous and someone saw us leaving with the brass. I don't know how we didn't get caught. I fell through a hole in the floor with one leg and it was almost two stories up. We were barely surviving at that time in my early 20's and missing a paycheck was a real hardship. I see the hateful comments and I just shake my head. One size does not fit all and orange man is really bad this time. Where's Stormy with that rolled up magazine. He needs a swat or more.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:25 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I agree that they played the doomsday card a bit early. The stories on the news of people possibly being evicted before their first missed paycheck were ridiculous. But the callousness of people dismissing actual problems with "you'll be paid eventually so stop whining" are equally ridiculous.
FYI. Govt not paying thier own light bills around the world. Nor the rents for the buildings the house- or even the cell phones they use, for maybe a real attack. How long will companies wait is the dam question here !

Old 01-22-2019, 11:05 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yes, if the furloughed employee reaches out to the "insurance co" "mortgage holder/landlord" "cable company" "bank", then yes. A google search will tell you all of this. Not that you have to worry about it.

As for the "gas station" if the furloughed employee has a gasoline credit card, s/he can reach out to them.

If they are so stretched thin and can't even buy basic food items, food banks have advertised that they are there for them.
It’s appalling that middle class workers would even be in this position by no fault of their own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies