Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 10:34 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times

Advertisements

Arkensa?

Old 01-21-2019, 10:45 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I lived in Southern CA.

So yes, I know my S***.

I know next great rockers who played at the Roxy, the great actors whose highlight of their career are some non-speaking parts, the next great director who got no higher than clapper loader, and legions of others who never so much as sniff the big stage.
Just FTR, clapper/loader is a seriously important job, takes a consummate professional to do right, and is compensated accordingly on major productions. And don't overlook the thousands of jobs that come with having the industry. I was never involved in production (thank God, "tedious" doesn't begin to describe it) - but made six-figure salaries keeping networks and data centers running for two of the Big Six.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Arkensa?
One of those off-brand knock-offs. Almost as good as Arkansas, and much cheaper.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:08 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,226,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Just FTR, clapper/loader is a seriously important job, takes a consummate professional to do right, and is compensated accordingly on major productions. And don't overlook the thousands of jobs that come with having the industry. I was never involved in production (thank God, "tedious" doesn't begin to describe it) - but made six-figure salaries keeping networks and data centers running for two of the Big Six.

Oh, I know that. My friend who was a clapper/loader seriously paid his dues with years of hard work and low paid in other positions before he worked up to that job. He was getting steady work as a clapper/loader for a few years and then suddenly it just stopped. No more offers, no more job, it was like Hollywood just forgot about him. He bumped around for a few years and eventually went back to school.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Oh, I know that. My friend who was a clapper/loader seriously paid his dues with years of hard work and low paid in other positions before he worked up to that job. He was getting steady work as a clapper/loader for a few years and then suddenly it just stopped. No more offers, no more job, it was like Hollywood just forgot about him. He bumped around for a few years and eventually went back to school.

That IS kinda weird, but yeah - the pyramid gets so much narrower towards the top. And lots of people think the clapper/loader has an easy job, when it's a position of colossal responsibility.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Oh, there's this comparison too:
Snow in Charleston in winter:

Just got back from wonderful weekend at a cabin, sat on the enclosed deck drinking beer and waiting for enough flags to pop on the ice fishing gear so we could go reset them. Snow and cold weather is what you make it.

Quote:
hiking,

In my younger days I used to love going out in the snow for overnight excursion. We went after nor'easter once and were building snow lawn chairs around the fire.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:27 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Again, it's location. You can get a similar house in say Pomona or even Brea for around $500-$600k. Everyone and their mother wants on the westside, due to ocean and amenity proximity. Supply and demand
$600,000 for Pomona?

Looks like they have some nice 2 bedroom homes for the bargain $525,000. They look ancient and are on tiny lots. The new buyer will pay 1.3% property tax also as the market value is reset. So they can look forward to $5,000+ property tax bills on tiny, ancient 2 bedroom home.

Can buy a nicer, bigger home in West Virginia and Arkansas for less than $100,000 with tiny property tax bills and very low electric bills .

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...78_rect/11_zm/

The same home that is $600,000 in run-down Pomona would be $100,000 or less in a majority of West Virginia or Arkansas.

Pomona has a very high crime rate, extremely low per-capita incomes has a multi-generational gang problem, for people who need schools for their children the schools are horrible, long commutes and the very high electric bills because it's so hot.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:37 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
$600,000 for Pomona?

Looks like they have some nice 2 bedroom homes for the bargain $525,000. They look ancient and are on tiny lots. The new buyer will pay 1.3% property tax also as the market value is reset. So they can look forward to $5,000+ property tax bills on tiny, ancient 2 bedroom home.

Can buy a nicer, bigger home in West Virginia and Arkansas for less than $100,000 with tiny property tax bills and very low electric bills .

The same home that is $600,000 in run-down Pomona would be $100,000 or less in a majority of West Virginia or Arkansas.

Pomona has a very high crime rate, extremely low per-capita incomes has a multi-generational gang problem, for people who need schools for their children the schools are horrible, long commutes and the very high electric bills because it's so hot.
Not as hot as San Antonio where you're living, especially at night. And you're only 35 miles from Downtown LA and 50 to the beach. Can't say the same in San Antonio.....

Old 01-21-2019, 05:50 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Just got back from wonderful weekend at a cabin, sat on the enclosed deck drinking beer and waiting for enough flags to pop on the ice fishing gear so we could go reset them. Snow and cold weather is what you make it.

In my younger days I used to love going out in the snow for overnight excursion. We went after nor'easter once and were building snow lawn chairs around the fire.
Meh, day to day living in it isnt that fun. Had to dig out my mom's car in the snow this morning just so she could go to work, and hopefully she wont get stuck in the snow coming back. Much rather be at the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.