Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does shutdown affect you if it goes on months?w
I am conservative -no affect 39 31.20%
I am conservative-mild affect 3 2.40%
I am conservative-big affect 2 1.60%
I am non partisan-no affect 33 26.40%
I am non partisan-mild affect 6 4.80%
I am non partisan-big affec 11 8.80%
I am liberal-no affect 8 6.40%
I am liberal-mild affect 13 10.40%
I am liberal-big affect 10 8.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 08:53 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times

Advertisements

I will avoid flying. It will shortly become an undependable mode of transportation on at least two levels.
Thank God the planes are still serviced by the airlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 09:01 PM

1,991 posts, read 899,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
no effect at all, retired federal worker, my pension came right on time and will continue to. Even got a COLA, thank you President Trump.
If you think Trump is responsible for the COLA increase you must be a retired GS2.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:05 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Where this shutdown will hit a wall (no pun intended!!!!!) is IF food stamps, WIC and Medicaid are affected. Obviously it would be the Democrat base that's most directly affected as its mostly them who depend on those things (yes I live in a very conservative state that unfortunately has a lot of welfare recipients but most of those actual welfare recipients are black Democrats) but it can lead to large scale unrest. I remember once the food stamp system crashed for a few hours and there were near riots in Walmart in some ghetto areas.

I don't think industries and airlines will purposely cut corners as its not in their best interests to have a plane crash or have a major industrial accident though government regulators are mostly known around here for destroying jobs rather than helping our community.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:06 PM

1,991 posts, read 899,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I will avoid flying. It will shortly become an undependable mode of transportation on at least two levels.
Thank God the planes are still serviced by the airlines.
Actually, airlines farm out most of their maintenance and inspections to contractors. Some contractors are not even in this country. The people who monitor contractor compliance with FAA regulations are FAA Inspectors.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:06 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
I do believe that President Trump SHOULD have the executive power to reclassify employees dealing with tax refunds, WIC, food stamps etc as essential so they would HAVE to work.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:08 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Where this shutdown will hit a wall (no pun intended!!!!!) is IF food stamps, WIC and Medicaid are affected. Obviously it would be the Democrat base that's most directly affected as its mostly them who depend on those things (yes I live in a very conservative state that unfortunately has a lot of welfare recipients but most of those actual welfare recipients are black Democrats) but it can lead to large scale unrest. I remember once the food stamp system crashed for a few hours and there were near riots in Walmart in some ghetto areas.

I don't think industries and airlines will purposely cut corners as its not in their best interests to have a plane crash or have a major industrial accident though government regulators are mostly known around here for destroying jobs rather than helping our community.

Food Stamps & WIC, in all likelihood, have just a few weeks to keep going, as I doubt March could be funded on time, unless a CR were signed ten days before start of March.

That means House would have to work on acceptable compromise CR, that other 2 branches support, within the next 2 weeks.

It will likely take at least a week after that, to be ratified.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:16 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
There haven't been effects felt by a lot of people yet because workers are still holding in there and are still managing to work for free. Those people won't be able to last much longer if they can't put food on the table. Tons of people will be affected in about a month I bet if it lasts that long. All air flights will be grounded indefinitely if TSA and ATCs all walk off the jobs en masse at the same time. People won't be getting their Amazon orders for a looooooong time, and thousands of Americans will be stranded abroad indefinitely if they can't fly home. Millions of people won't be able to travel domestically either. And that's just for starters.

Sure, you can try to claim that it is 'illegal' for workers like ATCs and TSA to walk off the job, but that argument won't hold up in court. What's the defense going to be against the argument that you're forcing people to go to work with no pay for an infinite amount of time, yet they are running out of money to be able to eat? Sorry, but the US has an amendment against slavery. What are you going to do? Fire them all? Ha, yeah right, because who are you going to replace them with? People who'll take jobs for 0 salary? This isn't like the Regan era at all either since at least back then the govt was still living up to its end of the bargain and was still paying people.

This will end as soon as the public becomes MAJORLY impacted. It should start with all air traffic being grounded for the foreseeable future. The public wouldn't last 20 minutes if all of the sudden all air traffic ceased to work. I'd be very worried if I had a trip that required air travel in Feb. or even early March. You could be stranded overseas indefinitely until the government reopens. You better just hope you don't overstay a visa/entry stamp in another country and get arrested or fined for it.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post

Sure, you can try to claim that it is 'illegal' for workers like ATCs and TSA to walk off the job, but that argument won't hold up in court. .
Walking worked well (sar) for PATCO.

The act of walking away = No pension later on.

Govt employees are not stupid enough to do that, although it would be noble if they did, as future deficits would sharply decline.

Plus if some walk, a few %, that is feasible at some point, but not all nor even most. Simply put, family circumstances with 800k employees is a case by case thing. Not all have the same reserve to make it through a few months.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:24 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Walking worked well (sar) for PATCO.

The act of walking away = No pension later on.

Govt employees are not stupid enough to do that, although it would be noble if they did, as future deficits would sharply decline.

Plus if some walk, a few %, that is feasible at some point, but not all nor even most. Simply put, family circumstances with 800k employees is a case by case thing. Not all have the same reserve to make it through a few months.

Once again, PATCO isn't the same situation. The government is NOT paying people, unlike when the ATCs went on strike during Reagan.

You cannot force people to work indefinitely for no pay if they can no longer put food on the table. Are you going to drag in 10,000 people back into work for 0 pay if they need to make money to simply afford food? Fire them all and have 0 people to replace them because the jobs are paying $0 per hour?

Not the same as PATCO at all.

Just wait until thousands of people get screwed on home loans as well. The housing industry will tank, even though they got a breather for now, and they'll take the entire economy with them. Putin is loving everything about this shutdown.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
You cannot force people to work indefinitely for no pay if they can no longer put food on the table. .
They are free to quit whenever they choose to, every day, any year.

I support Employment At Will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies