Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does shutdown affect you if it goes on months?w
I am conservative -no affect 39 31.20%
I am conservative-mild affect 3 2.40%
I am conservative-big affect 2 1.60%
I am non partisan-no affect 33 26.40%
I am non partisan-mild affect 6 4.80%
I am non partisan-big affec 11 8.80%
I am liberal-no affect 8 6.40%
I am liberal-mild affect 13 10.40%
I am liberal-big affect 10 8.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:44 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Walking worked well (sar) for PATCO.

The act of walking away = No pension later on.

Govt employees are not stupid enough to do that, although it would be noble if they did, as future deficits would sharply decline.

Plus if some walk, a few %, that is feasible at some point, but not all nor even most. Simply put, family circumstances with 800k employees is a case by case thing. Not all have the same reserve to make it through a few months.
They can quit and keep their pension without penalty. Pension amount is based on number of years of service. It obviously won't be as robust as it would be if they stay, but if it goes on for too long, many would likely quit. I think most would hold up another month, but past that, I could see people giving in and quitting. It will be interesting to see if that happens and air traffic crumbles, which would have huge market and economic impacts (even on simple things like online shopping). Now, I don't think a doomsday scenario like that would actually happen, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised with anything in Washington anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 09:50 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
They can quit and keep their pension without penalty..
to the vested level only, yes.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
The American People are starting to CLEARLY see the Democrats for what they are, self absorbed tyrannical leaders who have been disconnected from acting in the best interests of their constituents through corruption and elitism.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:55 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
I took an educated guess with my response. I don't think a lot of people truly know because no shutdown has lasted this long before.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:59 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If airport security and air traffic control continue to be impacted, it affects the safety of everyone who travels via plane.

New drugs can't be approved, so that impacts everyone who could use the therapy.

Food inspections on hold, so that can increase the risk of more food-borne contamination events.

If you're a private contractor working with the government, good chance you take a hit.

I work in biotech related field, and tons of companies are starting to panic. If this goes on longer it could cost tons of people in private industry their jobs and millions, possibly even billions, of dollars in damage to the biotech industry. Even investors who don't care about anything other than investing in biotech are panicking about losing millions/billions on biotech stocks should any of the companies they have vested interested in have delayed releases of their products.

For example, small, medium, and even large sized biotechs need to outsource their manufacturing for things like viruses that are being engineered to treat a plethora of diseases. There are only a handful of places in the world that can make large scale batches of viruses under GMP that are OK to use in clinical trials. The wait list is massive because of how hot the field is and how much demand there exists for the facilities. This little charade is making it very difficult in industry, because they don't know if their regulatory filings will now stay on track to lineup with their development plans to manufacture their technologies. If they cannot get regulatory approval to proceed, all of their billion dollar development plans are screwed up, and they're not allowed to hold up the line at the manufacturing facilities because of the huge queue. Plans for development at companies could be screwed for a year or more because of the government shutdown due to the lack of regulatory approval. It will cost companies millions in loses and they'll definitely have to layoff people in biotech.....if this gets to that point.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:39 PM

88,995 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
In my case, not all all.

How about you?
Same.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:54 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
There haven't been effects felt by a lot of people yet because workers are still holding in there and are still managing to work for free. Those people won't be able to last much longer if they can't put food on the table. Tons of people will be affected in about a month I bet if it lasts that long. All air flights will be grounded indefinitely if TSA and ATCs all walk off the jobs en masse at the same time. People won't be getting their Amazon orders for a looooooong time, and thousands of Americans will be stranded abroad indefinitely if they can't fly home. Millions of people won't be able to travel domestically either. And that's just for starters.

Sure, you can try to claim that it is 'illegal' for workers like ATCs and TSA to walk off the job, but that argument won't hold up in court. What's the defense going to be against the argument that you're forcing people to go to work with no pay for an infinite amount of time, yet they are running out of money to be able to eat? Sorry, but the US has an amendment against slavery. What are you going to do? Fire them all? Ha, yeah right, because who are you going to replace them with? People who'll take jobs for 0 salary? This isn't like the Regan era at all either since at least back then the govt was still living up to its end of the bargain and was still paying people.

This will end as soon as the public becomes MAJORLY impacted. It should start with all air traffic being grounded for the foreseeable future. The public wouldn't last 20 minutes if all of the sudden all air traffic ceased to work. I'd be very worried if I had a trip that required air travel in Feb. or even early March. You could be stranded overseas indefinitely until the government reopens. You better just hope you don't overstay a visa/entry stamp in another country and get arrested or fined for it.
In Pelosi, Schumer and Ocasia's ideal America, if someone overstays their visa they should be rewarded with citizenship and the right to sponsor 20 family members to chain migrate with them and also receive all sorts of government benefits!!!!!

Trump should NOT compromise anymore. If he opens the government we get nothing and the other side gets everything - no wall, plus a Congress that will force through amnesty for the DACA recipients and continued birthright citizenship.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
My dad told me long ago, to never get involved in a government contract, or subcontract to anyone that has.
For the very reason, government is the only one, that has legal authority and the guns, to not honor their contract.

I have no pity for anyone sucking off government tit, directly or indirectly.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:17 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
I'd say keep the government shut down until the Democrats cave because as much damage this may cause, if the far left isn't reigned in we're not going to have a country anymore anyway.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I do believe that President Trump SHOULD have the executive power to reclassify employees dealing with tax refunds, WIC, food stamps etc as essential so they would HAVE to work.
And what happens when tax season is done? What happens when the credit limits hit for the essential employees who need to show up for work. What happens when they cannot pay their bills for months on end? There are a lot of things we don't know, but I do know that there workers and families who have been effected that can only go one more missed paycheck. If it goes belt beyond that, they don't know how they could make ends meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies