Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does shutdown affect you if it goes on months?w
I am conservative -no affect 39 31.20%
I am conservative-mild affect 3 2.40%
I am conservative-big affect 2 1.60%
I am non partisan-no affect 33 26.40%
I am non partisan-mild affect 6 4.80%
I am non partisan-big affec 11 8.80%
I am liberal-no affect 8 6.40%
I am liberal-mild affect 13 10.40%
I am liberal-big affect 10 8.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 01:46 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,894 times

Advertisements

Doesn't really affect me aside from secretly hoping some people get hit hard. But that's not nice, and that's not karma I want to work off, so I have to strive to be better.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 02:46 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And what happens when tax season is done? What happens when the credit limits hit for the essential employees who need to show up for work. What happens when they cannot pay their bills for months on end? There are a lot of things we don't know, but I do know that there workers and families who have been effected that can only go one more missed paycheck. If it goes belt beyond that, they don't know how they could make ends meet.
Pelosi should send hem personally funded donations.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:51 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Doesn't really affect me aside from secretly hoping some people get hit hard. But that's not nice, and that's not karma I want to work off, so I have to strive to be better.....
Who exactly do you want to see hit hard? I don't want anyone hit hard but it seems like it is less and less of a possibility considering Trump isn't backing down and losing by almost any metric bigly. Liberals already hate him, moderates are turning away as this gets worse, even his base are not happy with him offering DACA as a bargaining chip for the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Pelosi should send hem personally funded donations.
You mean Trump, Ryan and McConnell right? I mean Trump got 1.7B voted by the last Senate and voted on by the House and awaiting a vote by this Senate that hasn't happened because Trump now wants 5b. Oh wait, you listed yourself as "conservative and will not be effected" and continually post these threads mocking those who are effected. You don't care about the truth.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:52 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
What shutdown? LOL

Old 01-21-2019, 04:59 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'd say keep the government shut down until the Democrats cave because as much damage this may cause, if the far left isn't reigned in we're not going to have a country anymore anyway.
What about the far right? Come on, we are in this mess, Independents, Lefties, righties and everything in between. You think this is a campaign? No, people are suffering in a fight that is not theirs.

How about trump donating part of his donated salary to these Federal employees, that he is holding hostage and for leverage? How about congress doing the same. Those fat cats are all still receiving their salaries, for what? None of them are NEGOTIATING. They are all just bickering and standing there holding their collective breaths, get an arbitrator, in there and end this standoff.

This shutdown, seems illegal, to me. Maybe all the unpaid people need to file a class action lawsuit; when this has finally come to an end.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:02 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You mean Trump, Ryan and McConnell right? I mean Trump got 1.7B voted by the last Senate and voted on by the House and awaiting a vote by this Senate that hasn't happened because Trump now wants 5b. Oh wait, you listed yourself as "conservative and will not be effected" and continually post these threads mocking those who are effected. You don't care about the truth.
1.7 was not for the wall, and is not even meeting halfway.

It was properly rejected.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:07 AM

69 posts, read 51,035 times
I think it may have a positive effect by showing the people who cares about our country and who's just playing politics by denying funding for the wall.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:12 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
If you think Trump is responsible for the COLA increase you must be a retired GS2.
highest COLA in 7 years. Sorry, GS-15, but thanks for asking.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:14 AM

989 posts, read 455,964 times
If you don't know how it affects you then you're probably not that bright. Now, you may not care how it affects you, but it does affect you in some way. I won't bother to lay out all the very small ways in which your daily life is impacted because they are small things, that done away with over the long haul have major issues (like weather modeling accuracy). Most people think they don't care or need such things, but we do.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
What about the far right? Come on, we are in this mess, Independents, Lefties, righties and everything in between. You think this is a campaign? No, people are suffering in a fight that is not theirs.

How about trump donating part of his donated salary to these Federal employees, that he is holding hostage and for leverage? How about congress doing the same. Those fat cats are all still receiving their salaries, for what? None of them are NEGOTIATING. They are all just bickering and standing there holding their collective breaths, get an arbitrator, in there and end this standoff.

This shutdown, seems illegal, to me. Maybe all the unpaid people need to file a class action lawsuit; when this has finally come to an end.
The problem with many in the Trump camp is they do not understand how deep we are in this mess. They are either oblivious, cake eaters, or paid shills. For those who voted "conservative and it will not effect them" I cannot take anything they say seriously in the future if I ever did. They are at best removed from reality beyond what they experience and must not see the food banks being stretched for the government workers and contractors going two checks without pay this week.

Several Representatives and Senators are in fact not taking pay. The President is already "not getting paid" since he donates his presidential salary every quarter. I use quotes since he still gets a check every month. If I were in Congress, I wouldn't and would be seen buying items for local workers with the money I should be getting paid. I think McSally is. I haven't heard any other names to be honest. This leads me to my next point, the lawsuit.

The lawsuit shouldn't be just about wages. The lawsuit should be about the constitutionality of the lack of pay. In the 90's during one of the several Clinton shutdowns, Congress passed a bill requiring Congress to get paid during a government shutdown. This leave Congress with only the threat of being recalled or voted out as their only skin in the game which is a weak one, especially this early in a new Congress for this particular shutdown. To me, this law is unconstitutional based on the equal protection clause under the 14th Amendment. Either Congress gets paid and so do the essential employees or nobody gets paid at all. If Congress knew they wouldn't get paid, maybe that skin in the game would force them to compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
1.7 was not for the wall, and is not even meeting halfway.

It was properly rejected.
To quote CM Punk, what a load of crap. Back in December after the H.W. Bush recess, the president was on board, all of the Senate was on board and the old House was on board. The Senate voted and then we saw Ann Coulter and others complain about wall funding and then Trump remembers a campaign promise rather than a compromise? The House didn't get to vote on it until the next session and now McConnell isn't even putting it up to a vote for Trump to veto it. Trump and by proxy McConnell don't care about no damn compromise. They are trying to throw DACA in, knowing that it could get struck down in the Courts. You have no clue about the truth, just conservative talking points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies