Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I am a vet, and politically I identify as?
Identify primarily conservative 23 38.33%
Identify as moderate 19 31.67%
Identify as primarily liberal 13 21.67%
None of your bleeping business! 5 8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 08:01 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure my military service shaped my politics. It did broaden my views of the world a great deal. After going around the world three times, visiting 60+ countries and all 50 states I know what a great variety of people and lands there are. I also know a great many peoples view of the world barely extends beyond a days travel from their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 08:19 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I'm not sure my military service shaped my politics. It did broaden my views of the world a great deal. After going around the world three times, visiting 60+ countries and all 50 states I know what a great variety of people and lands there are. I also know a great many peoples view of the world barely extends beyond a days travel from their home.
Politics were my last priority during my time on active duty. I don’t even remember thinking about politics. No one I knew ever even discussed it. Young military people are almost apolitical to a man, and I don’t even remember anyone voting. The officers probably did I’m sure, but we enlisted just don’t get into it.

Most young, unmarried servicemembers have their days filled with tasks, and the last thing they want to do with their precious free time is bog down their minds in super serious matters of state. We serve every president regardless of party, and no one really cares about your feelings on this or that elected official. They are “The Honorable” whether you hate them or not. Lol

Old 01-21-2019, 08:28 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why are you only asking me that question?
You are the only one here that identifies as far left, who has served. In the nearly 22 years I served, that wasnt unheard of, but certianly an anomaly.

I was a Navy Seabee (muddy boot Navy, no ships). The only two guys I met while in the NCF that identified as far left was a closeted emo gay dude (he kept getting in trouble for getting "faddish" hair styles and colors), and an angry black muslim nationalist of Senegalese heritage, who like to tag things with phrases like "United Snakes of AmeriKKKa".

Neither one stayed in the military too long.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:28 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Army. When I was younger, I was moderate with a slight conservative lean--if moderates are 'dead center', I was 1 degree to the right of that center. I started shifting more liberal probably about....I'd say the early 2000's. This seems to have coincided with my shift in religious beliefs as well, along with seeing a lot of attitude from Republicans that struck me as nasty and mean-spirited. I went pretty strongly liberal about the mid-2000's.

Were my voting ballots of the past available, this would probably be reflected by them--and still is. If you present me with what I find to be two equally valid candidates, I'm likely to vote for the one that represents my party of preference. However, if the one that represents my party falls short for whatever reason, I won't vote for them. For example, in the recent elections we had two candidates for county sheriff. I felt that the then sheriff (Republican) had been doing a good job, and the Democrat candidate's resume didn't impress me. So I voted for the Republican (he didn't win.) Same with the county commissioner. The Republican candidate had the job for quite a bit, and had made some changes that I *really* like--for example, instead of just walking into the DMV and taking a number and waiting, you get online and make an appointment. It took me by surprise the first time, but I found that I really like it--you don't have to guess when it's going to be less busy, and it's been a much smoother process--before, I could be waiting for hours. The last couple of times I had to go, it was make the appointment, get called up at my time, and I've usually been taken care of with minutes to spare before my appointment time was up. And the workers seems a *lot* more calm and happy as well. (They would actually smile and crack jokes!) And the waiting areas were less full and more quiet. So instead of my spending hours at the DMV, this method means the last couple of times I went, I was in and out in under 30 minutes. The Democratic candidate, however, didn't feel this was working (and she was one of the people working there), but she wasn't able to convince me *why* this wasn't working--so I voted for the Republican.

So now, I'd say that I'm primarily liberal, with the occasional conservative pocket in my psyche.

I do butt heads with a friend of mine IRL who makes snide comments about 'the party of peace and love is anything but'. I always look at him and tell him if he thinks I've always been sweetness and light, then I want to know what multiple personality of mine he's been hanging out with all these years. I've *never* been accused of being a completely sweet person ever in my life. From the time I could walk it was, "Indigo's rather headstrong and not shy about expressing her opinion." Another individual IRL made a snide comment about "Those highly educated elites" and I pointed out cheerfully that I am the daughter of a factory worker and a SAHM, and that I only had 19 college credits to my name--which I didn't obtain until my mid-40's.

Last edited by Indigo Cardinal; 01-21-2019 at 08:37 AM..

Old 01-21-2019, 08:36 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Politics were my last priority during my time on active duty. I don’t even remember thinking about politics. No one I knew ever even discussed it. Young military people are almost apolitical to a man, and I don’t even remember anyone voting. The officers probably did I’m sure, but we enlisted just don’t get into it.
Pretty much nailed it. It was after military service, when back in the "real world" when things began becoming more apparent, and began shaping views.

One exception for me.

Last time I voted for a democrat was in 1992, after returning from Desert Storm. My time there formed my "war is a last solution only" and "why the **** are we here, George H.W. Bush?". I did not want to see any more Americans sacrificed to violence for the middle east and/or cheap oil after losing friends. Let the arabs sort out their own messes.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
You are the only one here that identifies as far left, who has served. In the nearly 22 years I served, that wasnt unheard of, but certianly an anomaly.

I was a Navy Seabee (muddy boot Navy, no ships). The only two guys I met while in the NCF that identified as far left was a closeted emo gay dude (he kept getting in trouble for getting "faddish" hair styles and colors), and an angry black muslim nationalist of Senegalese heritage, who like to tag things with phrases like "United Snakes of AmeriKKKa".

That’s me. I’m a closeted gay black Muslim nationalist. That’s why I’m on the far left.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:13 AM

17,606 posts, read 6,894,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post

I don't know if DD is muslim, but angry black certainly applies.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:18 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I voted moderate on behalf of my husband. He has always been staunchly conservative, but feels they have lost what was left of their minds.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-21-2019, 09:24 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post

I do butt heads with a friend of mine IRL who makes snide comments about 'the party of peace and love is anything but'. I always look at him and tell him if he thinks I've always been sweetness and light, then I want to know what multiple personality of mine he's been hanging out with all these years. I've *never* been accused of being a completely sweet person ever in my life. From the time I could walk it was, "Indigo's rather headstrong and not shy about expressing her opinion." Another individual IRL made a snide comment about "Those highly educated elites" and I pointed out cheerfully that I am the daughter of a factory worker and a SAHM, and that I only had 19 college credits to my name--which I didn't obtain until my mid-40's.
Like I posted in another thread, if "they" (regardless who they are, they could be conservative or liberal just to be completely fair) believe you were Daimon Hellstrom, there is really nothing else you can do.

I've been attacked for absolutely no reasons here (not in real life though) simply because I am a conservative.

In real life, my future sister-in-law has said, "Anybody who voted for Trump should have their heads examined and I don't care who you are, if you voted for Trump, there is something wrong with you." right after I told her that I voted for Trump. She also said, "I love you already Lily, but there is something wrong with you." The whole time, I have kept my mouth shut. I still love her too, but I don't want to change people's opinions. Unless they attack me personally, I don't voice my opinion. Even if they attack me personally (like my future sister in law did), i took a lot of factors into consideration. I don't want to judge somebody simply because they said something I didn't like. I normally give people a lot of chances before I stop associating with them. This whole "un-friend" somebody on facebook thing is juvenile in my eyes. lol

She's a white lady who made a baby with a Vietnamese man without a marriage, made a baby with a black man without a marriage, she FINALLY married my fiance's brother and he was the only one who supported her two daughters and gave her a marriage, somehow, ALL white men are STILL bad in her eyes. "check your privilege" is something she would say.

Don't get me wrong, she is still a great lady, kind, generous, but she is too extreme for my taste. One of her daughter joined the Navy, but got kicked out ( I don't know the reason) She doesn't like the military so much either.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 01-21-2019 at 09:35 AM..

Old 01-21-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I don't know if DD is muslim, but angry black certainly applies.
I’m the furthest thing from angry. I have the best sense of humor on CD. That said, is it mandatory that I be happy and show you my teeth all the time like a good boy?

And why are you discussing me with someone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies