Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 10:28 AM

20,956 posts, read 8,573,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
ahzzie, you do realize that a lot of people lost their insurance because of Obamacare right?
Statistics are your friend.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiam.../#3bccaaecf8cf

"For the first time in more than 50 years of surveys, the CDC on Wednesday reported that more than 90% of Americans — 90.8% of us, to be specific — have health insurance."

That's a win. The numbers are that 16-20 MILLION more people were covered.

I have no doubt that you can find people who weren't. That's not the point. See the chart on that page or direct - https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/9...CUninsured.jpg

That's big time. You should be singing the praises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 10:31 AM

23,736 posts, read 14,840,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The wall will likely take a decade to build"

How many walls have YOU built to make such a claim?

"cost a lot more than it should,"

The CURRENT "cost" is a LOT higher!

" be climbed over, tunneled under,"

Maybe we should tear down the current effective walls.

NOTHING is 100%. We have current speed limit laws and people break them every day. Should we eliminate them?

"will need maintenance"

What maintenance?

Do you do any driving? Do you see the walls around the Interstate highways, etc for sound barriers?

CONCRETE DOESN'T NEED maintenance.

"Not to mention the seizing of land via eminent domain."

It's done every day to tear down old buildings and build new roads in cities, etc.

All I see is lame, not well thought out, excuses!
You might want to study up on who owns all the cement available for the wall. And how to get the concrete to the wall building sites.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:31 AM

25,403 posts, read 9,678,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Obviously I understand that given the makeup of Congress, compromise is necessary to stop the impasse but I'll honestly say that as a Trump supporter and the son of LEGAL immigrants, Trump has already compromised significantly more than the Democrats.

As a voter here is what I actually believe:

If someone is illegal, they don't deserve anything. I think DACA should be rescinded and they should have NO path to citizenship and that they should just be happy we're not able to deport them all. Illegal aliens in my opinion are NOT entitled to in-state college tuition or shouldn't even have the right to education or health care at all in the United States. I also believe in an Israeli-style concrete barrier going at least 20 feet underground to prevent tunnels and with sensors and drones flying across the border at all times. I also believe birthright citizenship should be modified where at least one parent has to be in the U.S. legally.

I would also be okay with the use of snipers and drone strikes against Mexican drug cartels and traffickers along the border.

So yes what Trump has done is compromise MUCH more than the Democrats have. Given that I now recognize the need for compromise given the makeup of Congress, I can LIVE WITH (not necessarily like) DACA recipients being given permanent residency but not citizenship, and their illegal parents should have zero respite. No illegal alien who came over the age of 18 should get any kind of amnesty. This in exchange for the wall. Either all this or the complete and permanent defunding of Planned Parenthood and the permanent repeal of Obamacare in exchange for no wall and continued DACA.

The Democrats haven't compromise a single bit. This is why I believe Trump must keep the government closed until the Democrats back down. If Trump re-opens the government now we get nothing and the Democrats get everything they want- no wall, plus amnesty for DACA and other illegals.
The Dems and Reps passed a bill several weeks before shutdown that Trump supposedly agreed to and was going to sign. He walked away from it. Why can't we address that bill? It seemed everyone was on board at the time. Why is the wall such a huge issue now when for years it wasn't? We've always had these issues at the border.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Something like this happened when Reagan was present. Do what Dems want and they work with him after. Dems didn't keep their promise and that's why we still have the problem today.
Ah, so Reagan was forced into signing it and preaching the virtues!

My goodness...at least have a speck of honesty...and don't claim RR is a liar.

"The border, he said, should be open “both ways” — and border security policy should take into account the economic challenges facing Mexico."

"“There was not any discussion at the senior policy levels during the Reagan administration about fencing or a wall that I can recall,” Doris Meissner, who was executive associate commissioner of the Immigration and Naturalization Service during the Reagan administration, wrote in an email."

It's amazing how some of you are so brainwashed that you put words and intentions in the mouths of your own heroes when they do the right thing.....saying they were FORCED into being decent human beings.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
The Dems and Reps passed a bill several weeks before shutdown that Trump supposedly agreed to and was going to sign. He walked away from it. Why can't we address that bill? It seemed everyone was on board at the time. Why is the wall such a huge issue now when for years it wasn't? We've always had these issues at the border.
Ask Hate Radio and Comedians that forced Trumps hand (in Trumps opinion) why.....they know.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:34 AM

33,748 posts, read 16,742,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Why should the courts have any say?
Because we are a nation of laws.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:44 AM

35,512 posts, read 17,690,584 times
So this whole border wall thing is analogous to a neighbor dispute.

You come home from work one day, and the neighbor has put up the markings for a fence on your property.

You say hey wait, this is on my property, why are you building here?

The neighbor refuses to remove the post markers, and insists on a compromise.

I'll build my fence there, and will allow you to walk on the sidewalk in front of my house. I'll build my fence and will allow your kids to play basketball in your driveway.

And you say no, I already have the right to those things, remove your fence post markers.

And then Trump refuses to budge, and then cordons off the road with his big truck so no one can get in or out of the neighborhood, until you give on his fence.

And a few other neighbors are shaking their heads, wondering why you're being so stubborn about his fence, while the rest of the neighborhood is in shock with his brassy behavior, and are trying to think of a way to get his stupid truck out of the middle of the road.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:46 AM

It's that same old story. I shake you down for 100K. You refuse to pay. I say "hey, I decided I will take only 20K".

You...assuming you are sane...say "no way".

Old 01-21-2019, 10:54 AM

35,512 posts, read 17,690,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It's that same old story. I shake you down for 100K. You refuse to pay. I say "hey, I decided I will take only 20K".

You...assuming you are sane...say "no way".
Or really, I'm still demanding 100K and have put a lock on your garage door, locking your car in, until you pay.

I will, however, consider paying for getting your car professionally cleaned and detailed once you pay the 100K and I unlock your garage.

Because you know, I'm always willing to compromise.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:55 AM

33,748 posts, read 16,742,725 times
I do hope POTUS Trump stops offering as much as he did Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies