Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 08:50 AM

5,249 posts, read 6,172,186 times

Advertisements

Some gyms are actually skipping political/news stations. If one set of patrons is proving that antagonizing to another I can see why that might happen. Although my bigger gripe is people living on their smart phones while physically on a piece of equipment.

To be honest I think it would be funny to wear the most offensive T-shirt from the opposing party. When questioned just tell the oafs you really do not care but they are so annoying you've defected to the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 11:47 AM

1,571 posts, read 1,115,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
To be honest I think it would be funny to wear the most offensive T-shirt from the opposing party. When questioned just tell the oafs you really do not care but they are so annoying you've defected to the other side.
ROFL! That's hilarious. Trolling would probably get you shot, but still freaking hilarious.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:05 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,221,354 times
If you want to control your environment stay home where you can control your environment. My gym is open to people with severe disabilities that can also be disturbing - should they not be allowed? How about people who dress totally inappropriate and show way too much? Gyms are social places and where friends meet up to work out.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:53 PM

6,809 posts, read 10,461,091 times
That's just life in a public gathering place in America. There are going to be differences. While I would prefer people keep their politics to themselves, people can wear their political T-shirts and talk politics with their friends at the gym, although maybe some consideration for others would be nice. It is tacky, yes. There was a guy at my gym who always came with a MAGA hat on and while I wish he didn't, I wasn't about to say he couldn't or shouldn't. I feel the same about people and their political bumper stickers - but it is their car, not mine. Now sometimes people can go too far and start trying to actively intimidate others based on politics, race, religion, etc., and say, "But all I was doing was...." when they know well and good their intention was something darker. I do think we need to not let that kind of stuff go on - I don't think that applies to the case you are describing. The gym I go to itself does have some TVs on Fox and CNN news stations and I wish it didn't, I'd rather it stick to the ESPN, Game Show network, HGTV etc. But I guess people are obsessed with their news and can't stand being at the gym for an hour without it or something.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:32 PM

22,619 posts, read 24,456,098 times
Let me take a wild guess, an old Goocher who cannot stop talking!!

Yes, i would do my best to stay on the other side of the gym.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:33 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,732,081 times
Please keep politics out of the gym, sports, entertainment, etc.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:03 PM

6,416 posts, read 3,905,770 times
A and B are annoying, largely because they're having any conversation loudly, it's just that politics are worse. But, it sounds like they're both okay with having the conversation. C and D, so what? They're not bothering anyone else.

Honestly, I thought from the title that this was going to be a thread about people who insist on talking about politics to you at the gym when you don't want to.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:59 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,234,277 times
Since I refuse to discuss my politics with strangers, I wouldn’t care what he wore. Non issue with me.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:08 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,141,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Who's at fault here: everyone, nobody or one side?

Persons A/B:

At my gym, two people come in and work out on elliptical machines together: they stand on the elliptical machines and move them, slowly, for 20 minutes. While they are on the elliptical machines, they discuss their political views very loudly: they wear T-shirts with the name of their political party on them, and they very loudly refer to members of the other main party in a disparaging way (think "Nazis" or "Communists"). The whole gym can hear them.

Person C:

This guy wears a T-shirt from a Senator's political campaign, with the senator's name on it. I commented on it one day and he mentioned that he wears it just so Persons A/B will be quiet. I watched him, and when Persons A/B began yelling one day about how much they despise members of the other political party, he walked over to them and got on the elliptical machine next to them. Persons A/B saw the shirt, definitely noticed it and stormed off.

Person D:

He wears a T-shirt from a Presidential campaign over 10 years ago. I asked him about it and he said that it's a T-shirt, and he needs gym clothes, so he wears it. He did not comment about politics.

Are they all nuts? Or are Persons A/B obnoxious and Person C petty? Or is this an American gym in 2019?

Persons A & B are being rude by talking loudly/yelling. The fact that politics is their topic of choice is mostly irrelevant, except that those of us who are politically active may wish to escape politics while at the gym.

Person C may be a bit petty, or that may simply have been his passive-aggressive way of getting back at A & B.

Person D is perfectly fine and normal.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:24 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,725,662 times
I've never really experienced anything like this at a gym. If I heard two people loudly having a conversation about politics and supporting a position I disagreed with, I'd just ignore it and carry on with my workout.

Now if the conversation was about sports...well, sometimes I can't help but chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies