Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 05:39 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
This issue really isn't about the $5 billion, even though it is but a down payment on a 700-mile wall (Trump now wants about 1,000 miles). A decade or so back, the Congressional Research Service estimated a wall would cost multiples of that figure. Too, the proposed $5 billion is not only for infrastructure but includes additional CBP agents and technology and port infrastructure that all agree are required.

Still, the "problem" is more the practical and the political. The practical is the pushback from the border, in particular, in Texas along the Rio Grande from property owners with the associated legal problems. This dampens Republican support for a wall, and is one reason legislation stalls.

The political issue is that both parties want immigration "reform" (whatever that entails). Border security funds have been negotiated in packages combined with various immigration proposals. Even the standalone Secure Fence Act of 2006 was passed with Democratic support due to a GWB promise that immigration reform would be next on the table. Both parties have resisted paying separately for the wall. I don't necessarily agree with that but this isn't a matter of just cutting a check to keep folks happy.
"the Congressional Research Service estimated" Have ANY of their "estimates" EVER come true"?

What is their record? If NOT good, why should we believe them THIS TIME?

"in particular, in Texas"

Easy solution. If they will NOT accept barriers being built, pull out ALL BORDER PATROL agents in the area.

WITH new barriers in other places the illegals will migrate to where NO barriers are built, meaning MORE illegals coming across THEIR properties. They WON'T hold out very long when thousands of illegals start crossing their properties.

Beside I have seen MANY Texas landowners complaining about the CURRENT illegals crossing their properties and the problems they cause, so don't think t is as big a problem as some imply.

"I don't necessarily agree with that but this isn't a matter of just cutting a check to keep folks happy."

I heard we confiscate over 4 BILLION dollars YEAR of drug money. Since most of the drugs illegally coming into our country through the southern border, Use THAT money to pay for the needed protections.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:00 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"the Congressional Research Service estimated" Have ANY of their "estimates" EVER come true"?

What is their record? If NOT good, why should we believe them THIS TIME?

"in particular, in Texas"

Easy solution. If they will NOT accept barriers being built, pull out ALL BORDER PATROL agents in the area.

WITH new barriers in other places the illegals will migrate to where NO barriers are built, meaning MORE illegals coming across THEIR properties. They WON'T hold out very long when thousands of illegals start crossing their properties.

Beside I have seen MANY Texas landowners complaining about the CURRENT illegals crossing their properties and the problems they cause, so don't think t is as big a problem as some imply.

"I don't necessarily agree with that but this isn't a matter of just cutting a check to keep folks happy."

I heard we confiscate over 4 BILLION dollars YEAR of drug money. Since most of the drugs illegally coming into our country through the southern border, Use THAT money to pay for the needed protections.
You still have to take their property from them and pay them for it. That’s a long battle in court for a lot of landowners.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies