Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 06:49 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
It's an act of violence because MAGA hats make people of color (for the most part) feel threatened and causes emotional injury, which is a verbal form of violence. It's not physical, but it doesn't have to be.
If the precious little snowflakes "feel" threatened" by a hat, and are emotionally injured because of that, then that's on them. And they might want to make an appointment with a mental health professional, because that sort of thinking is just not healthy.

Here's a news flash: verbal violence is NOT violence. Speech is protected in this country, even speech that you disagree with and find offensive. If you can't handle that, then maybe you should look deep inside yourself and figure out why WORDS are hurting you. Because violence DOES have to be physical. Anything else is free speech.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:49 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/tech/...ens/index.html

Twitter suspended an account on Monday afternoon that helped spread a controversial encounter between a Native American elder and a group of high school students wearing Make America Great Again hats.

The account claimed to belong to a California schoolteacher. Its profile photo was not of a schoolteacher, but of a blogger based in Brazil, CNN Business found. Twitter suspended the account soon after CNN Business asked about it.
The account, with the username @2020fight, was set up in December 2016 and appeared to be the tweets of a woman named Talia living in California. "Teacher & Advocate. Fighting for 2020," its Twitter bio read. Since the beginning of this year, the account had tweeted on average 130 times a day and had more than 40,000 followers.
Late on Friday, the account posted a minute-long video showing the now-iconic confrontation between a Native American elder and the high school students, with the caption, "This MAGA loser gleefully bothering a Native American protester at the Indigenous Peoples March."
The left is obviously colluding with Brazil to take down our president. Foreign interference with our political system should never be tolerated. We should check to see if George Soros has any financial interests in Brazil. This must stop now!

Old 01-22-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
I agree. It was a big rowdy fest all the way around. And, if anyone instigated something, it was the Black Hebrew Israelite group. I've seen videos of them before. They are nasty foul-mouthed race taunters.
And yet NO reporting was done about their actions. Political cover by the media. Again.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
You seem like a reasonable poster, so I'll try to explain my position a little better.

People react to imagery in different ways. For example, since you live in Austin, I'm guessing you see a fair amount of Longhorns sweatshirts. I'm guessing the reaction of the general populace in Austin would be different to that of people in Norman or College Station for someone wearing a Longhorns sweatshirt. And those are just sports teams.

With MAGA hats, yes - it's a political ideology. But given Trump's association with racism for many, it can be deeply distressing to encounter them, especially for many people of color who strongly oppose and feel threatened by that ideology. Seeing a group of white male teenagers wearing them is probably more distressing than just an isolated one. That can cause real psychological harm to people, and I maintain it is something to consider when wearing charged articles of clothing like that.
If that is the case, then those people were mentally ill to begin with.

You're actually saying that wearing a sports team shirt can trigger anxiety?

Good lord, we've raised a nation of veal calves.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And yet NO reporting was done about their actions. Political cover by the media. Again.
Yea. No kidding. Two hours of footage of some of the most racist blathering I’ve ever heard, but complete silence from everyone on that reality because everyone is so worked up over white kids in MAGA hats instead. America has been so kowtowed to the idea that white = bad that we now allow openly racist groups to verbally beat down white children with little to no criticism.

Disgusting.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:56 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
I can't believe that the mainstream media outlets have once again so quickly discredited themselves.
If the fake buzzfeed story from a few days ago wasn't enough to completely distrust our news media, then the biased reporting on this story was definitely the nail in the coffin.

First off, this story wasn't even newsworthy to begin with.
The media clearly made it into a big deal because the kids were wearing MAGA hats, and the media wanted to twist it into another hysterical & sensational story about racism.

This is becoming so obvious now and is much easier to notice, having witnessed the media do this numerous times in the past decade. People are waking up and noticing.

Trump's assertions of "Fake news" are being proven with each passing week.
If the MSM had published the truth-Christian Children, including some in MAGA hats, threatened and taunted by two Racist Hate Groups in our Nation's Capital, ...they would have destroyed their own agenda and the stereotypes they have worked so hard to create over the last several years.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:56 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Of course not, because it wouldn't support the narrative of white Christians being the hate group. Turns out the Native American is probably the biggest bigot in the crowd.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:01 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
It's not been a great start to 2019 for the liberal media.
The Cohen lies exposed by Mueller.
Now these poor Covington students unable to go to school today because of death threats thanks to the lies and deceit spread by CNN and others.
Trump is right.
There is too much fake news in the media.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:01 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
I'm actually surprised that many of my left wing/liberal friends have stepped in to post articles and videos questioning the narrative. Seems like this one may have pushed a little too far.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
The Fake News was strong with this one

Go media
Yep. This was a real good fake news story. Kids are coming out of school and were being racially attacked by a group and they stood tall. Then this American Indian stepped in to try and defuse the situation. It amazes me how people can attack students leaving school while being harassed, but they are "white", so I suppose that is okay these days.

I am honestly saddened by how my fellow Americans are acting on all sides. Honestly I think the media has really gotten the best out of us all. Very hard to be balanced these days.

Good luck to all. I think at some point things will settle down with how people view the media, but it might not be in my lifetime. Kind of sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies