Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:31 PM

17,940 posts, read 27,373,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Just a little story for MLK Jr. Day.

Jesse Owens won 4 gold medals in the 1936 Berlin Olympics and became a world sensation. However, when he came home - he came home to a segregated America. So segregated in fact that Franklin Delano Roosevelt invited all of the white athletes, but not any of the black athletes. According to Owens, Hitler waved at him...FDR wouldn't let him anywhere near the White House. Hitler also sent Owens a written congratulations and a signed photograph...FDR didn't even send a telegram like he did to the white athletes.

The next president, Truman, also ignored Owens. The first White House recognition that Jesse Owens got was in 1955 when Eisenhower awarded Jesse Owens the "American Ambassador for All Sports."

But it wasn't for 40 years that Owens would get his "Olympic White House invitation." When Ford invited the entire 1976 USA Olympics team to the White House...all races...Ford recalled back to his college days in 1935 as a young football player at the University of Michigan, where he watched rival Ohio State's Jesse Owens break or tie several world records at a track meet in Ann Arbor. Ford was in shock by how impressive Owens had been and recalled that FDR never invited him to the White House.

Ford then extended an invitation to the black athletes that FDR has snubbed.

This wasn't a unique event for Ford. As a college athlete Ford had worked against segregation in 1934 and became best friends with Willis Ward, a black athlete on the team that wasn't allowed to play against southern teams. Ford in protest was going to sit out a game against segregated Georgia Tech, but Willis Ward talked him into playing so they could beat them while Ward was left out. Their friendship lasted into adulthood, as Ford campaigned for Willis Ward a Democrat and Ward campaigned for Ford a Republican.

https://thelivingstonpost.com/decenc...d-gerald-ford/

https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk...s/jesse-owens/
I'm not surprised at all, thanks for the thread.

https://sheeble.com/are-democrats-ra...initive-guide/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 11:18 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,447,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Not instrumental. They sent over a few ships to peeve the British who they were in conflict with. The British were thinking of breaking the Union blockades to get southern cotton. Gettysburg put end to those thoughts.
Well I'm definitely no Civil War expert. It's just my understanding that the Union was losing and would have lost had Russia not stopped Britain from getting supplies to the South. Again...I'm not clear on the whole story. My point in mentioning this is that we never learn about these things in school. As long as I can remember, Russia = bad commie nation. So it's not a stretch that we wouldn't learn how Hitler showed respect to Jesse Owens. Hitler is the enemy and it looks bad for a dictator with a terrible reputation to acknowledge a US citizen when his own goverment doesn't. I think they *would* want to erase that detail from the history books.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:03 AM

26,345 posts, read 14,952,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I believe Owens said he acknowledged Hitler after one of his victories and Hitler acknowledged him back, but I have not heard of Owens claiming that Hitler sent him a photo of himself. I'm not trying to nitpick or find fault with anyone here, just from what I read.

I don't know what the truth is, but in private Hitler was not happy about Owen's victories as well as performances by the other black athletes.

Personally, I just don't feel someone like that would be sending pictures to Jesse Owens.

Also, as I mentioned before, on the first day of the track and field events, Hitler did congratulate and shake the hands of a German as well as Finn athlete, but left the stadium before black american high jumper Cornelius Johnson received his gold medal. Based on this stunt, the olympic committee gave him an ultimatum to congratulate all athletes or none at all. So Hitler did indeed snub a black athlete, but it was Cornelius Johnson. But by the time Owens won his medals, Hitler was already abiding by his self imposed rule of not congratulating anyone (in order to avoid having to shake the hands of any black athletes, for sure).
Dude right in my links.

Quote:
Owens said, “Hitler didn’t snub me – it was FDR who snubbed me. The president didn’t even send me a telegram.” On the other hand, Hitler sent Owens a commemorative inscribed cabinet photograph of himself. Jesse Owens was never invited to the White House nor were honors bestowed upon him by President Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) or his successor Harry S. Truman during their terms. In 1955, President Dwight D. Eisenhower honored Owens by naming him an “Ambassador of Sports.”

P.S. Desert Detroiter - if you are reading this I am sorry if the Black History Month website is upsetting you again, with which presidents did what. I didn't want to change the facts though.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:20 AM

10,600 posts, read 12,062,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I can believe it. People also don't know that Russia was instrumental to the Union winning the Civil War. I think it was Britain (don't quote me) that was going to interfere on behalf of the Union, and Russia sank their ships. Told them not to interfere with another country's internal affairs.
Uh, did you misspeak or something?....what you said makes no sense, unless I'm misreading it. How did Russia sinking British ships help the Union, if the British were going to intervene on behalf of the Union.

Shouldn't that have been:

it was Britain (don't quote me) that was going to interfere on behalf of the SOUTH (because it wanted cotton), and Russia sank their ships. Told them not to interfere with another country's internal affairs.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:43 AM

30,023 posts, read 18,596,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Interesting - although I find it so unlikely that Hitler would have waved to him. Hitler was furious at the time.

That's so disappointing about FDR, but it was Eleanor who was seriously concerned about racial issues. FDR is indeed a great president on many fronts, but he wasn't perfect, and there are certainly some shameful lapses.

(You should mention it in the Sports forum, too!)

That is actually untrue and a fable. Hitler was not "enraged" at all by the accomplishments of Owens and, as stated above, gave him a written note of congratulations. Hitler did not shake Owen's hand, as he had left the stadium prior to his event.

Germany "defeated" the rest of the world in the Berlin Olympics, winning the most gold medals, which is the propaganda event that Hitler wanted. The "anger" over Jesse Owens is a myth. There was more contempt for Owens back in America than in Nazi Germany.

Racism used to be mainstream and widespread. FDR and Truman not inviting Owens, which is shocking today, would have been considered "normal" back then. Keep in mind that the dems of that time were the worst racists, with Wilson being a strong supporter of the KKK. This democrat legacy of racism is one that the modern left has desperately "modified" through revisionist history to hide a sordid, embarrassing past.

This is why revisionist history is so dangerous. One must face the painful facts of history to avoid such mistakes in the future. Dems have conveniently revised history, such that people are shocked by the actions of dems when the truth comes out. Every dem POTUS up to Carter, with the exception of Kennedy, was a terrible racist. It is a legacy dems hate to hear.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:15 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,551,513 times
Quote:
Just a little story for MLK Jr. Day.

Jesse Owens won 4 gold medals in the 1936 Berlin Olympics and became a world sensation. However, when he came home - he came home to a segregated America. So segregated in fact that Franklin Delano Roosevelt invited all of the white athletes, but not any of the black athletes. According to Owens, Hitler waved at him...FDR wouldn't let him anywhere near the White House. Hitler also sent Owens a written congratulations and a signed photograph...FDR didn't even send a telegram like he did to the white athletes.

The next president, Truman, also ignored Owens. The first White House recognition that Jesse Owens got was in 1955 when Eisenhower awarded Jesse Owens the "American Ambassador for All Sports."

But it wasn't for 40 years that Owens would get his "Olympic White House invitation." When Ford invited the entire 1976 USA Olympics team to the White House...all races...Ford recalled back to his college days in 1935 as a young football player at the University of Michigan, where he watched rival Ohio State's Jesse Owens break or tie several world records at a track meet in Ann Arbor. Ford was in shock by how impressive Owens had been and recalled that FDR never invited him to the White House.

Ford then extended an invitation to the black athletes that FDR has snubbed.

This wasn't a unique event for Ford. As a college athlete Ford had worked against segregation in 1934 and became best friends with Willis Ward, a black athlete on the team that wasn't allowed to play against southern teams. Ford in protest was going to sit out a game against segregated Georgia Tech, but Willis Ward talked him into playing so they could beat them while Ward was left out. Their friendship lasted into adulthood, as Ford campaigned for Willis Ward a Democrat and Ward campaigned for Ford a Republican.

https://thelivingstonpost.com/decenc...d-gerald-ford/

That wasn't a wave. It was a nazi salute.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:26 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,876,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is actually untrue and a fable. Hitler was not "enraged" at all by the accomplishments of Owens and, as stated above, gave him a written note of congratulations. Hitler did not shake Owen's hand, as he had left the stadium prior to his event.

Germany "defeated" the rest of the world in the Berlin Olympics, winning the most gold medals, which is the propaganda event that Hitler wanted. The "anger" over Jesse Owens is a myth. There was more contempt for Owens back in America than in Nazi Germany.

Racism used to be mainstream and widespread. FDR and Truman not inviting Owens, which is shocking today, would have been considered "normal" back then. Keep in mind that the dems of that time were the worst racists, with Wilson being a strong supporter of the KKK. This democrat legacy of racism is one that the modern left has desperately "modified" through revisionist history to hide a sordid, embarrassing past.

This is why revisionist history is so dangerous. One must face the painful facts of history to avoid such mistakes in the future. Dems have conveniently revised history, such that people are shocked by the actions of dems when the truth comes out. Every dem POTUS up to Carter, with the exception of Kennedy, was a terrible racist. It is a legacy dems hate to hear.
Sorry, but the racist ones will always be where the south votes, And winch way have they voted for years? Mississippi for example?

Old 01-22-2019, 06:46 AM

30,023 posts, read 18,596,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Sorry, but the racist ones will always be where the south votes, And winch way have they voted for years? Mississippi for example?

You cannot escape the legacy of the dem party, which has been on the wrong side of history on many, many occasions.

Those "racist" states that you note were democrat during the civil rights movement. There is nothing wrong with admitting that and saying that the dems have changed their minds. The dem approach, however, is to revise history and act like it never happened at all.

It is like someone being horrified to find out that their ancestors were slave owners. Who cares?! The actions of one's ancestors are not the acts or sentiments of someone today and not something that one can control. Behaviors and norms of the past cannot be judged with today's metric of ethics. To do so is a denial that human nature and societal norms do not evolve over time, which is absurd. What is considered "normal" today may be considered outrageous by more "enlightened" individuals 200 years from now.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:57 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Quote:
I am sorry that I reported a factual story and it triggered you into this response. I didn't mean to upset your sensibilities.

By the way there are some historians that think that Earl Warren made up that quote about Eisenhower as they were in the middle of a huge personal feud when he claimed Ike said it, two other people there in the room said it was bull, and that Warren made another comment at the same time that was debunked.

Ike wasn't perfect and a product of his time, but he sincerely pushed for a Civil Rights Act that would create enforcement of the 15th Amendment. It was LBJ in the legislature that took the teeth out of it. Ironically, it was LBJ who helped vindicate this wrong in 1965 with the Voting Rights Act thanks to millions of people like MLK Jr. pushing the nation to do so. Ike had also supported desegregation of the Army in the late 1940s under Truman.

It was also controversial when Ike used the military to enforce court orders to desegregate. Remember, both JFK and LBJ in the senate refused to publicly support Ike's controversial decision to use the military in Little Rock. Today that decision makes sense...many people at the time thought Ike was acting like a dictator. Ironically, both JFK and LBJ had to use the military themselves to desegregate as presidents - something that they were able to do, because Ike did it first without their support and the precedent was set.

Earl Warren wasn't perfect either - he was one of the biggest pushers of Japanese Internment Camps - leading to FDR's Executive Order 9066.

Are you saying Jesse Owens lied? I don't think Owens is lying. Perhaps Hitler was swept up in the euphoria and acted uncharacteristically? Owens said the best reception and ovation he ever got was in Berlin.
Ike surely said it.

Moreover, Ike being a man of his time is no excuse. He led black troops in war. He was also a Christian. Did the Bible say something different when Ike was alive?

Old 01-22-2019, 11:49 AM

6,061 posts, read 1,999,201 times
two more factoids about Jesse Owens.

His family was from Alabama, where Jesse was born in 1913, around the beginning of the great migration north. They knew that they wanted to relocate to Cleveland, which they saw as a kind of promised land. They named their son "James Cleveland" to memorialize that wish. They did move to Cleveland when he was about 9 years old.

A teacher asked him his name, to which he responded "J.C." But she couldn't understand his thick Alabama drawl. She thought he was saying "Jesse," and from then on, "J.C." became "Jesse."

After winning the gold medal, a reception was held for him at a NYC hotel, the Waldorf IIRC. He was not allowed in the front elevator, and had to take a rear freight elevator to get to his own reception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies