Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 09:10 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Oh stop it already. She didn't say the world was going to end. Here's she said.

"I think that the part of it that is generational is that millennials and Gen-Z and all these folks that come after us are looking up and we’re like, ‘the world is going to end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change and your biggest issue is–your biggest issue is ‘how are we going to pay for it?'”

Apparently you're so old that you don't realize the words, "we're like" always precedes a metaphor. It's an expression that's pretty old already, Gen-X or older. Only someone that's clueless and out of touch wouldn't know this.

The 12 year thing comes from articles like this:

"The world’s leading climate scientists have warned there is only a dozen years for global warming to be kept to a maximum of 1.5C, beyond which even half a degree will significantly worsen the risks of drought, floods, extreme heat and poverty for hundreds of millions of people."

AOC is smart, sharp, young and hip. She is the face of the new generation that's fed-up with the oligarchs, racists and climate deniers and others of this ilk that infest today's GOP. The handwriting is on the wall. So go ahead and keep misconstruing her words if it makes you feel better, because it's all you got. She ain't going away.
It's 'Val-speak', and it's an ignorant way of expressing oneself.

The millennials in my family (who are all more highly educated than AOC) don't use that speech pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 09:13 PM

18,023 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The Westchester princess turned Bronx home gurl, and former bartender, now tells us that the world is going to end in just 12 years if we don't "address climate change". Says like... like..... WWII. And it gets better, we don't need a plan to pay for whatever she comes up with.

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/stat...50417653940224

She's also now the spokes person for all under 29.

This is the future of the Democrat party. The video speaks for itself.

(Even Al Gore is shocked)
Since the world is gonna end in 12 years, let's not worry about money.

Let's spend 5 trillion per year on Medicaid for all.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:14 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Her career is going to end in 2 years and I hope she still knows how to bartend.
Oh, I doubt it.

Given that district, she probably has that spot for as long as she wants it.

Whether her fellow congress critters end up paying her any heed is another matter.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:56 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
At least she has a degree.

The only female in the Kardashian family who has a degree is Kourtney.
Yet every member of the family is worth a minimum of $30 million they are the epitome of the American dream. Came from a poor immigrant family to where they are now. I can guarantee there's thousands of folks with p.h.ds that are still struggling. So why does one look down on them for not having a degree?

Old 01-22-2019, 10:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Yet every member of the family is worth a minimum of $30 million they are the epitome of the American dream. Came from a poor immigrant family to where they are now. I can guarantee there's thousands of folks with p.h.ds that are still struggling. So why does one look down on them for not having a degree?
I have no idea, Democrats and leftists keep bringing up and mocking those without a degree.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:23 PM

11,270 posts, read 11,028,294 times
12 years? That would be right around the middle of Pence's second term.

I don't think there's gonna be any issues of that sort.

Now, if liberals get back into power, I can see this happening.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:25 PM

24,638 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Apocalypse in 12 years? She must be desperate to get rid of her student loans.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Quote:
The Westchester princess turned Bronx home gurl, and former bartender, now tells us that the world is going to end in just 12 years if we don't "address climate change". Says like... like..... WWII. And it gets better, we don't need a plan to pay for whatever she comes up with.

I rather listen to her than Individual 1 tries to prove his point that there is no climate change since he doesn't know the difference between climate and weather. He is the president yet your focus is on a newly elected Congresswoman. If we post everything stupid Individual 1 says, the whole forum would be full.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:28 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:

I don’t know but she sounds exactly like Trump and you guys bought it. And why do have a problem with her age.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:34 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,964,842 times
She makes Trump seem like the most intelligent person in the world lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies