Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should we enact legislation to ban the potato chip?
Yes! 6 7.79%
No, just enact age limits and tax of up to 1000%, as with cigarettes, to be enforced by the BATF. 5 6.49%
No, leave potato chips alone. 61 79.22%
other (please explain below). 5 6.49%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 10:49 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Excellent points. The CDC blames tobacco for just under a half-million deaths per year in the US. The NIH blames obesity for ~300,000. Under President Bill Clinton we began a crackdown of tobacco. Most people, other than radical libertarians, supported the crackdown, and 25 years later it's still going strong.

Why wouldn't we do the same thing with junk food, especially potato chips which are possibly the worst offender (see post #1)? People keep coming on the thread to accuse me of trolling. This only tells me that they are too dumb to have anything to say on the actual TOPIC of the thread.
Yea, I know, it doesnt make sense to me either.

Some people say it comes down to the money they make off tobacco and other dangerous products, and that is why they do not restrict access, but thats not accurate imo, as with opioid drugs, pharma companies, doctors, etc were raking in billions...and yet Govt still came in and restricted access, so...not sure what the factors are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 11:53 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
NOPE, It's for "Troll", and you gotta admit, he's exceptional at it!
No he's not! He's terrible at it! A good troll is one you never figure out is trolling....like President Trump....he feeds the left exactly what he wants them to react to...then he zings them...or better yet, lets them zing themselves and each other before they even realize it!

Old 01-25-2019, 02:32 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I've never seen chips fried in lard...that sounds heavenly. Where I live, they're only fried in vegetable oils.
Good's also makes chips fried in oil, but I never bought them. The ones fried in lard taste the best...they are a staple in Berks County, PA, where I grew up. We usually eat them with with beer, ring bologna, sharp cheese, and Tommy Sturgis pretzels, which we referred to as "Dutch Lunch". Praise the Lard!

Old 01-25-2019, 09:07 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Good's also makes chips fried in oil, but I never bought them. The ones fried in lard taste the best...they are a staple in Berks County, PA, where I grew up. We usually eat them with with beer, ring bologna, sharp cheese, and Tommy Sturgis pretzels, which we referred to as "Dutch Lunch". Praise the Lard!
Thank you for reminding me what I left off of the list I posted earlier:

Lard - Banned
Beer - Banned
Bologna - Banned
Cheese - Banned
Pretzels - Banned

Sorry for missing these earlier.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:11 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
I'm from Chester County home of Herr's Potato Chips. PA has a "Potato Chip Belt" mostly in York, and Adams counties, but also Chester, and Lancaster where snack food manufacturers are located. Potato chips, and pretzels are a way of life here.

Banning them would cause a revolution.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:14 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I'm from Chester County home of Herr's Potato Chips. PA has a "Potato Chip Belt" mostly in York, and Adams counties, but also Chester, and Lancaster where snack food manufacturers are located. Potato chips, and pretzels are a way of life here.

Banning them would cause a revolution.

How could I forget Herr's??? "With Herr's, with Herr's...making chips fresh is our bag". Great when I'm in the mood for a flavored chip, like salt and vinegar (my favorite) or sour cream and chive.

I always bring back boxes of snacks (chips, pretzels) to Western PA when I come out to Berks County to visit my home town.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:03 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
How could I forget Herr's??? "With Herr's, with Herr's...making chips fresh is our bag". Great when I'm in the mood for a flavored chip, like salt and vinegar (my favorite) or sour cream and chive.

I always bring back boxes of snacks (chips, pretzels) to Western PA when I come out to Berks County to visit my home town.
Herr's is going to have to change their slogan. It won't be long before:

Bags - Banned!

Even if left un-banned, bags have become too politically incorrect to use in a slogan.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:47 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
If I was going to be executed, my last meal would involve potato chips. My only gripe is they don't make any good ones anymore. Used to love Laura Scudder's chips made with peanut oil. Then I settled for the Michael's brand at Whole Foods. I think they quit making them. Most potato chips are kettle chips and taste like shi$.
I don't know if they are cooked with peanut oil but you can still get Laura Scudder Potato Chips at Big Lots & Grocery Outlet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies