Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 11:43 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Dems and Reps had passed a bill weeks before the shutdown that Trump was going to sign. Until Ann Coulter called. Then he walked away. The majority of Americans don't think a monument to Trump is necessary, and you and I and everybody else knows that is exactly what the wall represents to him.
So you and your assumed majority of Americans already hate him. What is his motivation at this point to give in? Were you going to start liking him if he did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 11:44 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Hispanic American Support for Trump has jumped over 19% points, just since the shutdown.
Black support for Trump and Republicans in general is the greatest it has been since the early 50's.
Cherry picking numbers wont help you at all here. Fun fact-more people want Trump impeached then the number who approve of him. More importantly that 50% hispanic approval rating? From the same polling:
Quote:
Despite the bump in approval among Latinos, Trump's overall approval rating is at only 39 percent, according to the poll.

39%. And if you look at his numbers, he appears to be the most disapproved of president in recent history. A good link showing the data:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/

Old 01-23-2019, 11:44 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
If Dems currently want to keep their present setup of Pelosi answering to Mitch McConnell, then keep resisting the wall.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:48 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
39%. And if you look at his numbers, he appears to be the most disapproved of president in recent history. A good link showing the data:

Cool, more proof that he is dead man walking. More motivation for him to hold the line, since he's a big loser either way. May as well drag Pelosi down with him.

By all means, post more negative stuff. Really really convince him that he's screwed no matter what he does, thus giving him even less reason to compromise. He already has the shutdown record, but no reason he can't pad that sucker and make sure it endures. After all, he gets to drag down Pelosi with him, and wit you and everyone telling him how his downfall is a virtual guarantee at this point, yea, not really seeing where he is getting any reason whatsoever to budge even a smidgen.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:34 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Your post proves my point perfectly. I never said one positive thing about Trump in my earlier post, and I didn't vote for the idiot. I said that at this point, since he is universally hated, reviled and predicted to be biggest loser EVAR, that he gains nothing by giving Pelosi her way, so why not keep holding his line?

And to rebut that, you say Trump is the worst this, most horrible that, and is a totally failed President...EXACTLY like I said his critics all claim. You predict his coming downfall, which I already mentioned as something that gets predicted constantly, incessantly ad nauseum. Your post is my proof that I do indeed know what is going on where Trump is concerned.

You are a perfect example of the narrative hurled at the guy all the time, constantly. My point is that if he takes your criticism seriously even a little, then he knows he's a lame duck on borrowed time, so why give in now? At least be historically noteworthy by refusing to give in to SanFran Nan, since he'll be the first Republican ever to do so. Holding the line against her and her media sycophants might be the only Presidential thing his admin ever does, at least for legacy cred. Afterall, isn't he due to be impeached or imprisoned like next week or something? Why surrender when the enemy has already promised to destroy you and everyone you ever loved, met, spoke to, etc? And Pelosi & Co have not been shy about how much hurt they want to put on this guy. If you know you're going down, may as well drag some folks with you, eh?

Whether I rank him as a failure or don't, the Democrats and almost the entire establishment media does, and they never shut up about it. No matter what he does, it's awful, failed, evil, etc. So what does he possibly gain, operating inside that cultural narrative, by compromising with Nancy Pelosi? Not a freaking thing is what, so my advice to him, same as it is Israel vis a vis the UN...do whatever you want, since you'll be hated/blamed no matter what.

In such an environment and understanding how our government works, if SanFran Nan wants the shutdown to end, Trump isn't the one to convince. The Dems already artillery barrage that guy constantly without much effect, so it's time to work the GOP in the House ad Senate and get them to go traitor to the party, at least in name/face of the POTUS. Get 67 votes in the Senate and 291 in the House and Trump can go suck eggs. To do that, she needs to get 20 GOP Senators and 56 GOP reps to join the cause. She's pretty fierce, so bullying 76 feckless GOP idiots into submission shouldn't be too tough for her.
I think your logic has merit. I've always thought that the most dangerous person around is the person with nothing left to lose. Janis Joplin even said it, "freedoms just another word for nothin' left to lose". If Trump feels he has nothing left to lose, and his opponents keep yelling and screaming that at him ever day from every angle....well, you figure it out.

Like you, a few times I've said a thing or two about Trump that didn't amount to ripping his flesh from his bones. Just by doing that people will rip into you as a Trumpie supporter. It's like you can't even make an observation or comment on something he's done....and if it's not 110% critical, you're going to be unloaded on, so brace yourself. The only acceptable way to act is fall in line and hate him with every ounce of your being, and express it at every street corner, loudly. Otherwise, you're a Trumpie!

Old 01-23-2019, 12:45 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Cherry picking numbers wont help you at all here. Fun fact-more people want Trump impeached then the number who approve of him. More importantly that 50% hispanic approval rating? From the same polling:

https://www.livetradingnews.com/pres...ts-120491.html

PBS/NPR Polling, to be cherry picking.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-numbers-among

Old 01-23-2019, 12:48 PM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I think most people with a brain recognize that border security is important. We need walls, barriers, electronic means to monitor crossings as well as immigration courts to hear claims of asylum. I think most asylum claims are bogus because what they claim to be fleeing, crime, gangs, drugs, a fear of death for their kids can be found in some of our inner cities and no one cares, no one sheds a tear for those people....

What is really crazy about this is that the Dems are willing to hurt hard working Americans to help people that would break our immigration laws? We have immigration laws that work yet some expect to skip the line and come in through the back door? How is that fair to people that immigrate legally?

The shutdown is a political game to the Dems.

Nancy Pants is hurting Americans. Trump wants to protect America from law breaking border jumpers?

Why cant people see this? Are they that blinded by their Hatred of Trump ?

Old 01-23-2019, 12:49 PM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times
But, but, but.........Mexico is going to pay for the wall. Donny said so.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:15 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Paul Ryan did a better job screwing Trump over than Pelosi has.
He worked the inside angle effectively . Pelosi is just butting heads and posing.
BS.
Ryan was nothing but a compliant squish. He never wanted the Speaker's job, and was so soft Trump browbeat him to a pulp the first time Ryan didn't follow Trump in lockstep.

Once or twice was all it took for Trump. Ryan just let him have his way almost as soon as the dust settled.

Worked the inside angle? What 'angle'? All Ryan wanted to do by 2017 was to quit and go home.

You had better think twice about Pelosi. Yup, she is butting heads and posing, but she also has her Democratic majority firmly and solidly under control, and has the best whips in the House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies