Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 11:44 AM

958 posts, read 304,668 times

Advertisements

It is absolutely unbelievable how STUPID this little congressgirl tart is. She actually believes there is $3 billion sitting around that the state was going to give to Amazon for opening a center in Queens:

"If we were willing to give away away $3 billion for this deal, we could invest $3 billion in our district ourselves if we want to. We could hire more teachers, we can fix our subways, we can put a lot of people to work for that money if we wanted to"

I shook my head along with you people as you read this. OK, so the deal was Amazon was going to pay New York $27 billion to open their center there. But NY cut them a deal to instead by $24 billion, a savings of $3 billion.

So the moronic NY Times, outraged at this, reporting it as if the state were going to cut Amazon a $3 billion check. So undoubtedly, the stupid congressgirl read these stories and believed them, obviously not understanding the concept of a tax break. And she allegedly has an economics degree.

So the dimbulb is celebrating Amazon pulling out, and crowing about how else the $3 billion could be used. Message for you, honey. The money isn't there, and now thanks to you, the $24 billion won't be there either. Nice work.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:48 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
So Trump seems to think there is 6 billion sitting around waiting to go towards a stupid wall. So I guess that makes him STUPID too. Right on!

NY was going to give them $3 billion for the deal and now they are not. Tax payers are now off the hook for the $3 billion. Good for them. I am sick and tired of these billions of tax dollars going towards companies just to get them. Look at the money tax payers are out in Wisconsin and other states that have yet to see a profit for their deals.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:51 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
They are both stupid. I get the reluctance to have the taxpayers funding Amazon's corporate office - it's not right. However, sometimes you can 'bite off your nose to spite your face' as my mother used to say!

Old 02-15-2019, 11:54 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So Trump seems to think there is 6 billion sitting around waiting to go towards a stupid wall. So I guess that makes him STUPID too. Right on!
This thread is not about Trump, try staying on topic.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:55 AM

52,285 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Yeah, it's pretty silly of AOC to not understand that it was tax incentives, it wasn't money handed directly over to Amazon that could be diverted to other needs.

Scary that this woman was elected. I guess you talk about giving out free crap and people bite hook line and sinker.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:00 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
She is a Loon for sure and worse is we will be seeing more and more people like her that have been raised on the basis that everyone gets a trophy, the new math and the drivel that America is somehow responsible for the evil in the world and racism here at home.

The future of America is not going to be bright when people like AOC fail at making a go at success and they turn instead to politics to feed at the public trough.

The one thing that is a positive about AOC is that she got off her butt and tried but now she should sit back down and listen for awhile and stop making these ridiculous comments.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:03 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,404 times
Quote:

NY was going to give them $3 billion for the deal and now they are not. Tax payers are now off the hook for the $3 billion. Good for them. I am sick and tired of these billions of tax dollars going towards companies just to get them. Look at the money tax payers are out in Wisconsin and other states that have yet to see a profit for their deals.
I hear you.... I'd like to see these companies base location decisions on something other than how much corporate welfare they can extort from a community. When the auction is over the "winner" has undoubtedly paid too much for jobs. Stealing jobs from your neighbors accomplishes what in the long run?

Old 02-15-2019, 12:06 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
It is absolutely unbelievable how STUPID this little congressgirl tart is. She actually believes there is $3 billion sitting around that the state was going to give to Amazon for opening a center in Queens:

"If we were willing to give away away $3 billion for this deal, we could invest $3 billion in our district ourselves if we want to. We could hire more teachers, we can fix our subways, we can put a lot of people to work for that money if we wanted to"

I shook my head along with you people as you read this. OK, so the deal was Amazon was going to pay New York $27 billion to open their center there. But NY cut them a deal to instead by $24 billion, a savings of $3 billion.

So the moronic NY Times, outraged at this, reporting it as if the state were going to cut Amazon a $3 billion check. So undoubtedly, the stupid congressgirl read these stories and believed them, obviously not understanding the concept of a tax break. And she allegedly has an economics degree.

So the dimbulb is celebrating Amazon pulling out, and crowing about how else the $3 billion could be used. Message for you, honey. The money isn't there, and now thanks to you, the $24 billion won't be there either. Nice work.
This is sad that the Marxist has so little understanding of business.

However I for one am not sorry to see Amazon get the boot (or "change their mind")...... I'm tired of seeing cities give away these massive tax breaks for sports teams (and I like sports), or for big business.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:06 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:

no the taxpayers are NOT "off the hook for 3 billion"... now the taxpayers get nothing

amazons INVESTMENT IN THE STATE AND CITY was supposed to be about 27 billion (the cost to open a HQ of that size and hiring 25,000 people).. the state (Andrew Cuomo) allowed them to write-off 3 billion, with the state/city STILL GETTING 24 billion

no where was NY ""giving"" 3 billion... no where is that 3 billion now.... NY just LOST 24 billion

Old 02-15-2019, 12:08 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post

You are right, giving a tax break to the rich does not free up money for others to spend elsewhere.

I thank you for exposing the truth that Trickle-Down Economics is a scam. It was a scam when Reagan did it, it's a scam when Trump does it, and it's a scam when we justify tax breaks to bring business to town, or to build stadiums.

AOC is probably right to celebrate the fall of the deal, but you are correct, it does not free up money that didn't exist before. Just like Trump's ill-informed tax breaks for companies like Amazon, it doesn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies