Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 09:05 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Apparently proud of their traitorous ancestors and the way they got manipulated? Poor guys who were convinced by their economic betters to put their necks on the line so those betters could keep raking in the dough. I don't get it either. But it's awful similar to the way things are today on the right.
Southern soldier who had just been captured to a Northern soldier: "Why are you fighting?"

Northern soldier: "To preserve the Union and free the slaves. Why are you fighting?"

Southern Soldier: "Because you're down here!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 09:18 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Southern soldier who had just been captured to a Northern soldier: "Why are you fighting?"

Northern soldier: "To preserve the Union and free the slaves. Why are you fighting?"

Southern Soldier: "Because you're down here!"
How do you propose that the problem of slavery should have been resolved? No deflecting, please, and nothing about the fact that racism existed (and continues to exist) in the north, as well. A simple answer to the question will suffice.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:20 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The South is very unique and actually while I"m from Louisiana the South in general does have its own cuisine, culture, etc. We also have the Southern hospitality and friendliness which unfortunately is being diluted by transplants such as yourself. I've lived in the north too and its like night and day. We also have a focus on faith and family that is different than anywhere else in the nation.

Additionally the flag also represents standing up to an overreaching federal government as well and supporting states rights which even today are not respected, such as the government forcing abortion and Obamacare and gun control on us against our wishes. For example if we had our way here in Louisiana, abortion would be illegal here. Yet we have to live under Roe vs Wade.....and right now New York has already made clear it wants its partial birth abortion law allowing for abortion up until birth expanded across the country.
I cannot rep you again but I would if I could. More people need to stand up for southern culture and southern rights. I agree with everything you have said, really I can’t think of anything I could add to it. The southern idea of states rights is also what most of the founding fathers believed in. These leftists have become accustomed to using the federal government as a club to beat us into submission but they are constitutionally wrong. If they keep this up a day will come when the confederate flag they object to will not just be on a T shirt or bumper sticker but it will again fly over the state houses of our states in a new Confederacy. There are limits to the amount of tyranny they can dish out before we stand up again.
By the way I am also a transplant although I have been here a while. I fully embrace southern culture and values. This is my home and I will stand up for Southern Rights. There is no comparison between life in the north and life here in the South. You could not pay me enough to move up north and deal with all that. I am pretty sure they would kick me out anyway

Old 01-24-2019, 09:26 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And neither does the regimentation which allows the overly-powerful NEA to peddle its own doctrines, The best education is obtained in the marketplace of ideas, and the best education is, to the greatest extent possible, autodidactic.
You can practice that all you like. But in the real world of the current school system some semblance of order needs to be maintained. Don't like it then homeschool, which I am completely in favor of BTW.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:28 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Here's the reality-- any kid in a southern school that chooses to wear a confederate flag symbol to school knows exactly what they are doing.

They are most purposefully being defiant.

That is not acceptable.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
How do you propose that the problem of slavery should have been resolved? No deflecting, please, and nothing about the fact that racism existed (and continues to exist) in the north, as well. A simple answer to the question will suffice.
If you don't mind me stepping in, and looking at this from the opposite end, over 620,000 Deaths, over a Million Injured and Millions of Dollars of Destruction inflicted, was Not the answer.

For the record, I would have been strictly against Slavery back then, just like I'm strictly against some of the things this government allows today, and I would have wanted Slavery to stop, but Not that way.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:32 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
If you don't mind me stepping in, and looking at this from the opposite end, over 620,000 Deaths, over a Million Injured and Millions of Dollars of Destruction, was Not the answer.

For the record, I would have been strictly against Slavery back then, just like I'm strictly against some of the things this government allows today, and I would have wanted Slavery to stop, but Not that way.
I agree with you that the loss of life was tragic, but that still doesn't answer the question of how it should have been stopped.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:44 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I'm from the South and I have never understood latching onto the flag of a failed rebellion as "pride." Hell, pick some other symbol... food, landmarks, natural beauty... thriving cities and affordable real estate... amusement parks.... something.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:46 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I agree with you that the loss of life was tragic, but that still doesn't answer the question of how it should have been stopped.
I don't have a quick answer. But boycotting trade with slaves states and having well organized Underground Railroads, may have worked. If the landowner in the next community woke up one morning and all his slaves were gone, he would not have my sympathy.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:53 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
To me, the only place in the South where the food is unique is Louisiana. I can get soul food in Detroit or Chicago that matches the best southern cooking in the rest of those states.

Of course, some folks will mention BBQ, but that’s a canard. The best Q I’ve ever had was in Kansas City. Texas is decent but they really only standout when it comes to brisket. Everything else I can find in KC or St Louis with much better flavor.

So even their foods don’t really set them apart very much from the rest of the country.
Welcome to the 21st century, where you can authentic Indian food somewhere in the middle of flyover country. Even Louisiana food (Creole) you can buy quality in any large US city. And it's not very unique, Jambalaya tastes a lot like Jollof rice (eaten from Ghana to Nigeria). Since you're big on Black Pride, you should know that a lot of Louisiana food is similar to West African.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies