Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 05:41 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And vice versa. If you sell slaves, you're just as guilty as the person buying the slaves.
True. Not arguing against that.

Quote:
There is no defense for slavery. It is heinous. The fact that the United States was a key player in the 18th and 19th century slave trade is a shame that we, as a country, have to live with. And it's very tempting to try to distance ourselves from that blemish, by trying to depict one half of the country as depraved, and the other half of the country as saints. It's tempting, but dishonest. Slavery is evil. Anyone who profited off of slavery was part of an egregious system. Those who wanted to end this institution are to be applauded, but it's important to recognize that some of those who wanted to end slavery wanted to profit off the ending of slavery. The vast majority of Americans in the mid-19th century did see black people as inferior, not as equals. The immorality of slavery didn't lead to the conclusion that blacks should be respected as equals, unfortunately. That's something that we are still fighting to achieve.
I am aware that the USA was a major player in the slavery. As a teenager I would think "North good, South bad". When your ancestors were enslaved, it's easy to do. The more I've read, I have learned it was not that simple. I learned about beyond the South that benefited from slavery. The textile mills in New England, rum distillers. I know that northern states were generally free states and the south was a region of slavery. I also know that best way to end slavery is through the $$$. Textile mills in the north could have stopped buying cotton from the southern states. Stop buying sugar and tobacco, or anything where slave labor was involved.

As aware as I am of those facts, it still does not change my mind about the Confederacy. There were those who felt that slavery was such a necessity that they were willing to secede and fight a war. While it wasn't the only reason, it is certainly a cause that I can't get behind.

I never intended this to be a discussion of "North good, south bad". I know that Blacks generally do worse than anyone aelse pretty much all over the country. I was explicitly speaking about the Confederate cause and how that relates to the Confederate flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 06:21 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
If the school isn’t pleased with student attire; make all the students equal, get them into uniforms, and I don’t mean hiked up skirts for the drama queens...pants for all.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
If the school isn’t pleased with student attire; make all the students equal, get them into uniforms, and I don’t mean hiked up skirts for the drama queens...pants for all.
A very important question is this. Why are Confederate flag shirts against school dress code? That should be answered because things like that are banned because of controversy.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:57 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
It's a southern state. I don't care what those little racists do.
This comment is sickening.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:12 PM

937 posts, read 927,348 times
Are they still a social justice warrior if they're on the right?

Old 02-08-2019, 08:32 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I cannot rep you again but I would if I could. More people need to stand up for southern culture and southern rights. I agree with everything you have said, really I can’t think of anything I could add to it. The southern idea of states rights is also what most of the founding fathers believed in. These leftists have become accustomed to using the federal government as a club to beat us into submission but they are constitutionally wrong. If they keep this up a day will come when the confederate flag they object to will not just be on a T shirt or bumper sticker but it will again fly over the state houses of our states in a new Confederacy. There are limits to the amount of tyranny they can dish out before we stand up again.
By the way I am also a transplant although I have been here a while. I fully embrace southern culture and values. This is my home and I will stand up for Southern Rights. There is no comparison between life in the north and life here in the South. You could not pay me enough to move up north and deal with all that. I am pretty sure they would kick me out anyway

There is only one flag I will stand for, or under (and it ain't the confederate flag). All others will be burnt to ash.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:15 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
There is only one flag I will stand for, or under (and it ain't the confederate flag). All others will be burnt to ash.
Lol, what? Why?

Old 02-08-2019, 09:20 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Schools should let students wear what they want if it covers everything

Them not tolerating "offensive things" is them teaching kids they don't have to tolerate things they are offended by

Sorry life doesn't work that way, people are free to offend you and you don't get to take it out on them

If it disrupts class, put them in detention but it didn't disrupt class, only offended the teachers

Old 02-09-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Well, there are some people that agree with you, at least as far as the Confederate flag is concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEaPew3Os3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm88Jz_r0fY

Old 02-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Schools should let students wear what they want if it covers everything

Them not tolerating "offensive things" is them teaching kids they don't have to tolerate things they are offended by

Sorry life doesn't work that way, people are free to offend you and you don't get to take it out on them

If it disrupts class, put them in detention but it didn't disrupt class, only offended the teachers
Not if what said students are wearing involves something that is morally compromising. Kids need to be taught that some things are morally compromising. The Confederate cause is one of those things. One reason I'm in favor of Confederate flag shirts not being allowed in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies