Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 02:44 PM

24,327 posts, read 26,731,198 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about a candidate who never made a controversial joke before, never dated other people besides their husband or wife, etc. That's what I don't get about people acting shocked when a video surfaces from 10-20 years ago. Like come on, 99% of people are full of s*** if they honestly act like they've never made an inappropriate joke or even said something inappropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 02:47 PM

45 posts, read 87,585 times
And here’s what Willie Brown himself has to say about Kamala (if you can’t access the article, then at least read the comments: very interesting comments).

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/arti...p?t=c1bc437ba8

Old 01-26-2019, 04:00 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,597,274 times
I'll pass. She's basically a female version of Obama. Her PR team needs to be fired.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:43 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,664,722 times
She may win California but that’s it.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,283,365 times
We'll see. I can see her standing up to Trump beautifully, if they ever debated, though - even if he lurks around behind her on the stage, like he did with Hillary.

Kamala is a tough a**. I like Amy Klobuchar but I don't like how she caved when Kavanaugh came back at her. Joe Biden is just another old white guy who is apologizing for being a jerk way back when, as much as I do respect his service. Elizabeth Warren is this generation's Ralph Nader - she's a great advocate who we really need, but who should never be president.

Beto is another white guy with a fake car salesman smile. Bernie - God save us. Again, we need him in the world, but please don't let him become president. Then, there's the unknown guy who announced whose name starts with Butt....something, who nobody knows anything about.

At this point, Kamala comes out ahead without any real competition, in my opinion. I could easily see her handle any dictator in any summit meeting or any difficult interview or press conference, etc.

She's strong, tough, and smart - and - she grew up in Oakland going to public schools. She's the closest thing to someone who would understand me and my needs that may end up on the ticket. Can we please stop electing people who were born rich in America?

She gets it. She gets the struggles of the little people, she gets how to use power. At this point, she's my choice, hands down.

As far as her maybe not being a saint - saints aren't what we need to deal with dictators and war mongers and stand up to whoever needs standing up to. I believe she can be a good negotiator, but she would never be a pushover. Works for me in a president.

Hopefully, it won't get crazy in Oakland. I'm going to take my chances. Maybe they'll let a fat old gray haired lady alone :-)

Old 01-26-2019, 10:38 PM

Kamala and Booker are both show boaters. The Kavanaugh hearings were them putting on a show to run for president, ridiculous. I see O'Rorke as another Obama, which isn't bad. I would take Obama over any Democratic candidate. Joe Biden I like from Democrats too.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:50 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,283,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Kamala and Booker are both show boaters. The Kavanaugh hearings were them putting on a show to run for president, ridiculous. I see O'Rorke as another Obama, which isn't bad. I would take Obama over any Democratic candidate. Joe Biden I like from Democrats too.
I don't like candidates that come across as hysterical. And Cory Booker has this look about him that is kind of hysterical - in a crazy man kind of way. It's his eyes.

O'Rourke is no Obama. He is another white boy with a pretty connected, privileged life. I just can't get super excited about him.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:52 PM

32,877 posts, read 12,139,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
We'll see. I can see her standing up to Trump beautifully, if they ever debated, though - even if he lurks around behind her on the stage, like he did with Hillary.

Kamala is a tough a**. I like Amy Klobuchar but I don't like how she caved when Kavanaugh came back at her. Joe Biden is just another old white guy who is apologizing for being a jerk way back when, as much as I do respect his service. Elizabeth Warren is this generation's Ralph Nader - she's a great advocate who we really need, but who should never be president.

Beto is another white guy with a fake car salesman smile. Bernie - God save us. Again, we need him in the world, but please don't let him become president. Then, there's the unknown guy who announced whose name starts with Butt....something, who nobody knows anything about.

LOL.

Quote:
At this point, Kamala comes out ahead without any real competition, in my opinion. I could easily see her handle any dictator in any summit meeting or any difficult interview or press conference, etc.

She's strong, tough, and smart - and - she grew up in Oakland going to public schools. She's the closest thing to someone who would understand me and my needs that may end up on the ticket. Can we please stop electing people who were born rich in America?

She gets it. She gets the struggles of the little people, she gets how to use power. At this point, she's my choice, hands down.

As far as her maybe not being a saint - saints aren't what we need to deal with dictators and war mongers and stand up to whoever needs standing up to. I believe she can be a good negotiator, but she would never be a pushover. Works for me in a president.

Hopefully, it won't get crazy in Oakland. I'm going to take my chances. Maybe they'll let a fat old gray haired lady alone :-)
Kamala moved to Montreal (in Canada) when she was 12.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't like candidates that come across as hysterical. And Cory Booker has this look about him that is kind of hysterical - in a crazy man kind of way. It's his eyes.

O'Rourke is no Obama. He is another white boy with a pretty connected, privileged life. I just can't get super excited about him.

Remember Booker's Spartacus moment, where it came out that he requested those documents to be declassified and he was notified already that morning lol. What an idiot. Kamala put on a similar show.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:36 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,045,841 times
My favorite candidate is Major Tulsi Gabbard, who recently announced her candidacy.
  • She is a Major in the United States Army Reserve
  • A person of color: she is Half Samoan.
  • Hindu
  • Served in Iraq. While she was in Congress. Here's a picture of her with a fully automatic rifle in Iraq:
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/da...alnews14_b.jpg
    I believe she is an Officer in a Military Police unit. Apparently she was providing security for a medical unit on the battlefield.
  • She is a Democrat in the House from Hawaii
  • She was against the Keystone XL Pipeline
  • She would stop getting us involved in wars unless the potential enemy threatened our national security directly. For example, she was against the war in Iraq in 2003 (she voted against it in Congress but still went to fight in it).

There are two things I don't like about her: she used to be homophobic and she endorsed Bernie Sanders.

As a Blue Dog Democrat (centrist, center-left Democrat), I would not support a communist like Bernie Sanders. But Major Gabbard herself is not that far to the left. She liked some of his ideas in terms of domestic policy.

For the homophobic aspect, she inherited it from her dad. Her father was against gay marriage, and as a young woman, she supported his ideas, writing about "homosexual extremists". But after she served in Iraq, she was convinced that no one should ever impose their religious or moral beliefs on others. So she now supports LGBT. She is against the ban on transsexuals in the military.

Here's her first campaign video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPi4VAJtPL4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies