Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 08:37 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
First off, I too believe this comment is completely ridiculous. I find it hard to believe that if The Trump Organization ran a chain of grocery stores his stores would be giving credit to furloughed government workers. Completely ridiculous comment. However, I also feel the need to insert a little bit of context to comments such as the one above. Because while yes, it is true that Trump has 6 bankruptcies to his credit, he is also sole or principle owner of over 500 other businesses. Which means he is running with close to a 99% success rate. I don't care how much you hate the guy, you can't see results like those and say the man doesn't know how to do business. I've provided a link. It's a wiki, but I'm sure you can find the same information elsewhere if you feel the need to investigate further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trump_Organization

Being sole or principle owner of a business says nothing about the success of that business.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:39 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
This is what happens when you elect an out of touch billionaire and he staffs his administration with other out of touch billionaires. SMDH
Going to buy something for Donald's prison cell.

KFC launches gravy scented candles so your house always smells finger lickin’ good - The Metro

KFC launches limited-edition gravy scented candle in the UK | London Evening Standard

Old 01-25-2019, 08:50 AM

447 posts, read 208,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think he IS 'touched', and not in a good way.
Well Stormy had to TOUCH THAT to get a payout. Not sure if it was worth "I cant unsee that EVER."

Old 01-25-2019, 08:59 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBratty View Post
Well Stormy had to TOUCH THAT to get a payout. Not sure if it was worth "I cant unsee that EVER."

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww!

Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Whats sad about this, years ago, grocery stores would not have a problem doing this for someone, (given that they knew the customers as regulars and knew they were in a temporary jam), but certainly NOT today.

This kind of reminded me of the war effort in WW2, the govt asked the public to use certain materials and products sparingly, so more could go for the war effort, generally people and businesses did their part, even to the point of it being inconvenient, but they recognized the larger picture was more important...I have a feeling just asking someone or a company to do this today, they would be offended just from the request!
Years ago? How many, 100? It certainly wouldn't be the case in large cities like Washington DC 20, 30, or even 50 years ago. And if it did happen for "someone," it wouldn't happen for all customers. This statement is as out of touch as trump's.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:15 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Again, this is mostly based on your personal opinions/observations of the president, coupled with lots of anti-Trump docs out there who want more than anything to say the man is "insane" or "mentally ill". I submit to you that none of us are 100% sane. Almost everyone I have met in my life has exhibited signs at one point or another that maybe they just weren't all there. Can you honestly say that you could look at Trump's opponent in the 2016 elections and say "Yeah, she's got all her marbles! Nothing wrong there!" Yes, there are times when I wonder if Trump is truly all there. But if I'm honest, I wonder that about almost every one of these sycophantic politicians I see on TV every day. I don't think a single one of them is truly "right in the head". Of course, once again, that's just my personal opinion. But I do see what you are saying and understand where you are going with this comment. I guess in the end, only time will tell. However, I can tell you one thing. There were a lot of people who thought our "insane" POTUS would already have plunged us into some sort of nuclear holocaust by now. And so far, we've dodged that bullet. I can only hope that trend continues through this president and many presidents to come.
I attribute this miracle to those in the government who were ACTIVELY opposing trumps whims and even his orders.

https://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...-using-nuclear

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump asked a foreign policy adviser multiple times in an hour long briefing why the U.S. can’t use its nuclear weapons, MSNBC anchor Joe Scarborough said Wednesday morning.

“Several months ago, a foreign policy expert went to advise Donald Trump,” Scarborough said. “And three times he asked about the use of nuclear weapons — three times he asked. At one point, ‘If we have them, why can’t we use them?’”

Who knows what disasters have been avoided because people stole orders off trump's desk.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:34 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I worked for a grocery company warehouse for 31 years .They do not give away or donate "expired food" . . It's product that they can not sell or received by mistake or is close on sell by dates, or product that they just have too much of
Agreed. I worked for a large regional food bank for many years. Food donation is rarely done at the local store level, but instead at the grocery stores' corporate levels, or the manufacturer/supplier level. Even though grocery stores and other donors are protected by good samaritan laws, they're still skittish about donating anything but shelf-stable foods.

Prepared foods and foods that aren't shelf-stable are another story - storage, transportation, and food handling training often are barriers to accepting food for the food banks and pantries.

Add into the mix the rise of off-brand stores such as Big Lots and Ollie's - manufacturers sell their surplus product to those stores instead of donating the product to the food banks and pantries. The supply of donated surplus food from those sources has dwindled over the past 20 years or so.

And there's no such thing as "expired" food, except for baby formula. Those dates are nothing but arbitrary CYA gestures on the part of the manufacturers.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:47 AM

1,991 posts, read 900,290 times
Dateline: West Palm Beach City Jail, Jan 25th.

Tried to play a round of free golf at Mar-a-Lago today. I just started walking the course with my golf bag cart when I was stopped. When I was asked what the hell I was doing, I explained that their Boss said I could waive the membership fees until I got paid. They were supposed to “work along with me”. That didn’t turn out so well. Instead of working along with me, they worked me over and threw me in jail. Who knew the membership fee was $200,000? I told them I was good for it as I wasn’t living paycheck to paycheck, but they did not want to hear it.

Until next time, does anyone know a good bail bondsman in Broward County?

Old 01-25-2019, 09:48 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Dateline: West Palm Beach City Jail, Jan 25th.

Tried to play a round of free golf at Mar-a-Lago today. I just started walking the course with my golf bag cart when I was stopped. When I was asked what the hell I was doing, I explained that their Boss said I could waive the membership fees until I got paid. They were supposed to “work along with me”. That didn’t turn out so well. Instead of working along with me, they worked me over and threw me in jail. Who knew the membership fee was $200,000? I told them I was good for it as I wasn’t living paycheck to paycheck, but they did not want to hear it.

Until next time, does anyone know a good bail bondsman in Broward County?
1,000,000 reps to you. Freaking hilarious!

Old 01-25-2019, 09:56 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
First off, I too believe this comment is completely ridiculous. I find it hard to believe that if The Trump Organization ran a chain of grocery stores his stores would be giving credit to furloughed government workers. Completely ridiculous comment. However, I also feel the need to insert a little bit of context to comments such as the one above. Because while yes, it is true that Trump has 6 bankruptcies to his credit, he is also sole or principle owner of over 500 other businesses. Which means he is running with close to a 99% success rate. I don't care how much you hate the guy, you can't see results like those and say the man doesn't know how to do business. I've provided a link. It's a wiki, but I'm sure you can find the same information elsewhere if you feel the need to investigate further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trump_Organization
Do you understand the purpose of business?
ROI?

If so, I think more people can understand Trumps failure in this fashion. The number of shell companies or failed ventures means nothing. What matters is that "did he invest wisely and did his decisions and management work out to beat the market"?

Do the math. I've done some basics and here it is.

1. If he invested him money in the S&P as he inherited it - and never opened a single business - he'd have 15 Billion dollars.

2. If he invested his money with Warren Buffet (which he could have) and never opened a single business, he's have 150 BILLION dollars.

Instead, he "invested" his money in himself, his frauds and his scams and real estate, etc. and reportedly has about 2.5 Billion dollars. He was down to zero or negative net worth before the Russian bailed him out.

To achieve that terrible ROI (not even comparable, for example, to mine....or to the DOW or a monkey throwing darts at the stock page), he ripped off taxpayers, banks, investors, contractors and many of the regular public (Trump U, etc.).....

THIS is the accurate statement - not a list of businesses. By the time his dad and brother died or were unable to invest their wealth he had at least 350 Million dollars "free". That was the mid-1970's.

ROI - 5% or so......

Now, if you consider a LOSS of ten or tens of billions of dollars....after ripping so many people off - to be "good business", that's your perogative. But study the money and I think you will be less than impressed.

I've averaged 9-10% since about 1982....passive. My "active" investments (my work) made much more.

But if I used 1982 and 10% and had 350 Million at the start (Trump had it earlier), I'd have over 10 Billion.

check for yourself. Find some investment interest compounding calculators online and play with the numbers.

Note - he could have invested all of it in 30 year treasuries (about 8-9% in the late 70's) and had 4X the net worth he has today.

Bad investing. Bad Business person...all the frauds and cons aside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies