Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support this emergency order?
Yes 105 44.87%
No 129 55.13%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2019, 05:08 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,421,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Show us a post where you said the same thing about Obama?

As an FYI, liberal constitutional scholars like Dershowitz and Turley both voted for Obama, but felt he was corrupting the system with unconstitutional EO's.
I have not heard their opinions on what Trump is considering doing (regarding a emergency order) on this issue, but I suspect it is more in line with a potus constitutional duties and responsibilities than unilaterally declaring a bunch of illegal aliens able to stay in the country via DACA.

`
What Trump is doing is on far shakier ground and sets a far more dangerous precedent than DACA. Yes DACA expansion was on iffy grounds constitutionally under the various immigration statutes, but using emergency powers for a non-emergency is setting a precedent that will be used at some point by a president who fancies himself dictator and I wouldn't rule out Trump being the one to try it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 05:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,449,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Come on really! Over 50% of people in congress are millionaires. You think they'll go for wealth redistribution? You think They really give two craps for climate change? The minute it hits them in the personal pocket book they'll vote it down. No one in Washington cares a fig for any of us. NO ONE. They'll bend us over regardless of who's driving the buss....Jeezus do you actually think Nancy Pelosi care about climate change?????or splitting her money with you!!!!!????? She's no better then Trump.......
But ~ it won't matter what they think, will it? The President, in your mind, can claim any old thing is an EMERGENCY. Works the same for Democratic presidents.

I'll take Pelosi over Dump any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:10 PM

16,382 posts, read 8,471,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It's not an emergency and no reasonable judge or lawyer thinks it's an emergency. He just needs to declare one as a distraction. If he does that, it's going to set a terrible precedent.

There is no "emergency" at the Mexican border.

There's no hurricane, hostile military presence trying to overrun the country, nothing that's an actual emergency.

This wall will take over a decade to build. Emergencies are not decades-long things.
Interesting perspective, and if you are one of these environmental types, I hope you stick to this line of thinking. Combating "global warming" or whatever the latest leftist talking point is, will take decades if not longer.
Yet I'd bet many on the left saying what you just did, would applaud a Democrat potus setting us on a path of emergency action to combat climate change, even if it would take decades.

BTW - A wall in certain areas and barriers in others will not take decades. Heck to complete such a project in areas where it needs to be erected will take a few years, not decades.

`

Old 01-24-2019, 05:11 PM

25,423 posts, read 9,741,144 times
Quote:
Show us a post where you said the same thing about Obama?

As an FYI, liberal constitutional scholars like Dershowitz and Turley both voted for Obama, but felt he was corrupting the system with unconstitutional EO's.
I have not heard their opinions on what Trump is considering doing (regarding a emergency order) on this issue, but I suspect it is more in line with a potus constitutional duties and responsibilities than unilaterally declaring a bunch of illegal aliens able to stay in the country via DACA.

`
Declaring an emergency order for something that is not an emergency but is the number one issue on Trump's wish list would constitute a power grab, IMO. There is no emergency at the border. The CBP knows that border security is complicated and that a "wall" is not the answer.
https://qz.com/1525881/customs-and-b...-boring-truth/

The SCOTUS doesn't want to take up the DACA issue right now. Even Paul Ryan didn't want to scrap DACA when Trump came into office.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-daca-dreamers

Old 01-24-2019, 05:13 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,155,591 times
Go for it, Trump. I'll grab the popcorn.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:13 PM

25,423 posts, read 9,741,144 times
Quote:
Interesting perspective, and if you are one of these environmental types, I hope you stick to this line of thinking. Combating "global warming" or whatever the latest leftist talking point is, will take decades if not longer.
Yet I'd bet many on the left saying what you just did, would applaud a Democrat potus setting us on a path of emergency action to combat climate change, even if it would take decades.

BTW - A wall in certain areas and barriers in others will not take decades. Heck to complete such a project in areas where it needs to be erected will take a few years, not decades.

`
Climate change is a real and present danger. No, I don't have the time or the interest in educating you about it. Google is your friend.

The wall is Trump's wet dream. And BTW, declaring a national emergency for a wall will indeed take years to get through the courts, let alone the years it would take to build it. The majority of Americans don't even want a Trump wall.

The CBP says border security is a much more complex issue than building a wall. Trump would do well to listen to people besides Coulter, Hannity and Limbaugh.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-daca-dreamers

Old 01-24-2019, 05:15 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,271,217 times
Hope they lawyered up.

You can't legislate from the oval office

Old 01-24-2019, 05:18 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,109,536 times
I lean in favor of the wall, but this is a bad precedent to set. If/when the country is under Democrat leadership, they'll do the same for their own pet projects.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:19 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,699,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
But ~ it won't matter what they think, will it? The President, in your mind, can claim any old thing is an EMERGENCY. Works the same for Democratic presidents.

I'll take Pelosi over Dump any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.
I'll give this one more shot....... The border crisis real or imagined doesn't hurt anyone in Washington. Half of those SOBs probably don't even know where the border is. The things you want some future president to declare an emergency will impact them... They'll do whatever they can to keep their money and Power and will prevent it...

Old 01-24-2019, 05:28 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,483,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Hope they lawyered up.

You can't legislate from the oval office
Did you feel that way when Obama was president? I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies