Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 10:39 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The child tested positive for marijuana. Yes, the POS mother should be arrested.
She tested positive. And? So?

Look up Charlottes Web and what it does, The only POS's are the ones who dont care when children suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 06:19 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
An infant in Louisiana had a seizure after being breastfed. The mother, after confessing that she had smoked pot, was arrested and charged with second-degree cruelty to a juvenile and child desertion. Bail has been set at $125,000.

She was not charged with possession of marijuana, therefore I assume that she was not in possession of marijuana.

I can't find any credible study that has determined that THC in breastmilk causes seizures.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...12c348b3c.html

Wow. Given the responses I've seen in this thread you'd think this woman did something horrific like beat her baby or something. I think back on all the things my mom did when we were kids, all the dangers, all the risks i.e., no seat belts, no child's car seat, riding in the back of a pick-up, no helmets when we rode bicycles, shooting off fireworks, shooting guns, allowing her kids to consume alcohol on New Years eve and other special holidays etc. and you people would have strung her up.

Add to it, some of you feel the same about a mother who smokes or drinks while pregnant? You MUST think yourselves to be "all that AND a bag of rice cakes!" when you look at your perfect selves in the mirror.

Let they who have not sinned cast the first stone.

The politically correct "group think" of many on here is far more dangerous if passed on to children than pot, cigarette smoke or alcohol through breast milk. But that's just MY opinion.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:27 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Wow. Given the responses I've seen in this thread you'd think this woman did something horrific like beat her baby or something. I think back on all the things my mom did when we were kids, all the dangers, all the risks i.e., no seat belts, no child's car seat, riding in the back of a pick-up, no helmets when we rode bicycles, shooting off fireworks, shooting guns, allowing her kids to consume alcohol on New Years eve and other special holidays etc. and you people would have strung her up.

Add to it, some of you feel the same about a mother who smokes or drinks while pregnant? You MUST think yourselves to be "all that AND a bag of rice cakes!" when you look at your perfect selves in the mirror.

Let they who have not sinned cast the first stone.
Wow, talk about grasping at straws? The poor kid is an infant feeding on it's mothers milk. If you think it's fine to smoke pot and then feed your milk to your baby which results in that baby having seizures, you really need to stop and think about what you're saying.
If the baby's seizure is the direct result of pot, then at minimum, that mother needs to be drug tested on a regular basis while she's breast feeding or lose her kid to child protective services. How could you even think anything else is fair to the child unless you believe feeding the mothers pot addiction is more important than the health of her baby

Old 01-25-2019, 06:30 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
No, of course not. There has been no cause and effect proved.

The police and government should have better things to do than go after breast-feeding mothers for smoking weed. How ridiculous.

Just an example of control freak overreach.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:36 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
An infant in Louisiana had a seizure after being breastfed. The mother, after confessing that she had smoked pot, was arrested and charged with second-degree cruelty to a juvenile and child desertion. Bail has been set at $125,000.

She was not charged with possession of marijuana, therefore I assume that she was not in possession of marijuana.

I can't find any credible study that has determined that THC in breastmilk causes seizures.

Not unless there is proof the pot caused the seizure, then maybe child endangerment. If she was going to smoke she could have pumped beforehand, and that is what she should have done. I dont get the cruelty or desertion charge.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:39 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Wow, talk about grasping at straws? The poor kid is an infant feeding on it's mothers milk. If you think it's fine to smoke pot and then feed your milk to your baby which results in that baby having seizures, you really need to stop and think about what you're saying.
If the baby's seizure is the direct result of pot, then at minimum, that mother needs to be drug tested on a regular basis while she's breast feeding or lose her kid to child protective services. How could you even think anything else is fair to the child unless you believe feeding the mothers pot addiction is more important than the health of her baby

Ding ding DING!!! We have a WINNER!

You, oh perfect person who has never sinned, may cast the first stone! Oh wait... I'm betting that person who stares back at you in the mirror isn't nearly as perfect as what you demand of other people if they're doing something you "don't like".

Old 01-25-2019, 06:40 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,239,488 times
I'm not familiar with the laws, but generally speaking, I do not think a woman should be charged if she smokes/drinks while breastfeeding, as oftentimes these substances do not get into the breast milk and/or are not transferred to the baby in sufficient amounts to impact anything.

I doubt any of the previous posters would charge a BFing mother for taking aspirin, sudafed, or cough medicine, all of which are counter-indicated while breastfeeding.

However, in this case, the baby tested positive for marijuana and the doctors indicated it caused the seizure. (I agree... I've not heard that THC is related to seizures, and seizures can be caused by non-dangerous fevers.) But if that is the actual diagnosis, then I think some kind of child endangerment charge is warranted. The desertion makes me think that maybe she was unconscious or something? I have no idea what that's about.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:49 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:

Here's my take and it is just me, doesn't mean it's written in stone and I don't smoke pot, yet, but in the future, due to a health problem, I may have to...instead of taking pain pills....?????

Who can say that any drug caused this or that in a patient or baby? It may in some not in others....we much though remember that there are chemical properties to pot? Not sure, yes or no?

But, in all meds there are definitely chemical properties, which cause side effects in some and not others, however, how can you prove it does or not...

maybe the baby is allergic. I remember a friend of ours, was told by her doctor, to drink one can of beer every single day while she was breast feeding? Somehow it was helping her keep the milk coming in, or something to that affect? True? Who knows, but it worked for her? Whatever the reason....

So, legally, I don't think they can prove that the pot caused a seizure, unless the child doesn't have another?

Wast the child sick, did the child have a temp....there are so so many factors that can cause a seizure. I mean, did the child have vaccinations prior? My Gosh, I don't thing this is or can be justified...due to the differences in our bodies and our own chemical makeup. I am now allergic to so many things that never bothered me as a child...others like my son, had allergies to formulas and milk, until he started to crawl...then it went away, but up unto that point, I had to give him goats milk, until he could take other kind of nourishment....and we tried everything on the market.

So, that was an example, I'm not off topic....like so many think I am when responding to posts.

I can only go by examples I've seen heard and read, and try and apply to my life....

I don't believe this was lawful....

Old 01-25-2019, 06:49 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention--

"Data on the effects of marijuana exposure to the infant through breastfeeding are limited and conflicting. To limit potential risk to the infant, breastfeeding mothers who use marijuana should be encouraged to abstain from or significantly reduce marijuana use."

https://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/br...marijuana.html

"Should be encouraged to abstain or significantly reduce marijuana use" is a long way off from "should be arrested and charged with second-degree cruelty to a juvenile and child desertion."

This case is far from over.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:51 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I'm not familiar with the laws, but generally speaking, I do not think a woman should be charged if she smokes/drinks while breastfeeding, as oftentimes these substances do not get into the breast milk and/or are not transferred to the baby in sufficient amounts to impact anything.

I doubt any of the previous posters would charge a BFing mother for taking aspirin, sudafed, or cough medicine, all of which are counter-indicated while breastfeeding.

However, in this case, the baby tested positive for marijuana and the doctors indicated it caused the seizure. (I agree... I've not heard that THC is related to seizures, and seizures can be caused by non-dangerous fevers.) But if that is the actual diagnosis, then I think some kind of child endangerment charge is warranted. The desertion makes me think that maybe she was unconscious or something? I have no idea what that's about.
A good point and something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies