Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 05:30 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Well for one one can go UNDER the wall. If someone wants something bad enough they will find a way. Are you naive enough to not understand that someone whose crossed hundreds of miles of dessert that they are going to let a wall stop them?
The wall should go deep underground too. Israel is proof that walls work. They have walls along their entire border and its prevented a majority of terrorist infiltrations.

Last edited by Tom Lennox 70; 01-26-2019 at 05:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 05:31 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I'm a moderate Democrat and I have no problem with border security. But spending this kind of money on a wall without doing any of the more practical things to stop the problems we have from people who are already here seems like a waste of money. I've read that the wall will take a long time to build, will no doubt go way over budget, and be nearly obsolete by the time it is finished.

Instead of putting all of our eggs in one basket, we need to :

1 - increase funding to ferret out fraud and identity theft - social security and welfare fraud cost us a ton of money each year. I live in Southern California and have seen this first hand.

2 - make E-Verify mandatory. If there are not jobs, the incentive to come here will drop

3 - beef up border security with more agents, camers, drones, etc. - technology that is readily available

4 - fund the immigration courts - they are backlogged so badly that it is laughable. It takes forever for cases to even come before a judge. We need to fast track this.

5 - increase funding for ICE agents in cities with large illegal populations. I see folks that I'm sure aren't supposed to be here every day - usually they are near self storage facilities, big box DIY stores, etc. Does anyone check on them? Evidently not since there is a group of them there every single day.

These are just common sense things we should do - that people who are serious about this problem should be able to support. Yet all I hear is "wall, wall, wall". Putting all of your eggs in one basket is never a good idea.
You make the common sense case for why, no matter what they say, neither party is serious about border control. Just your #2 point about e-verify would solve most of the problem.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:33 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Just a simple question, but I truly don't understand this.

Other than just the fact that they detest Trump, I don't understand their refusal to compromise in anyway on this issue. It's not just a "wall", it's a way to gain control of the borders of this country and help protect the citizens within.

It's not a party/politics thing, it's for our national security. Why would they want uncontrolled entry into our country?

Maybe someone can enlighten me.
A simple question requires only a one word answer.

VOTES

Old 01-26-2019, 05:33 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
I'm a moderate Democrat and I have no problem with border security. But spending this kind of money on a wall without doing any of the more practical things to stop the problems we have from people who are already here seems like a waste of money.
The practical things you mentioned have already been tried, for years and even decades. They have failed to stop illegal immigrants pouring into the United States across the Mexican Border by the hundreds of thousands every year.

The main issue is that foreign nationals in Mexico who don’t have legal permission to enter the United States need to be stopped before they enter United States territory, not after. Only a Wall or barrier can do that.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Its simple, both parties are for secure borders just different methods:
GOP - physical barrier along thousands of miles.
Dems: modern tech, surveillance and efficient use of agents and drones.
Trump's plan would have included both. I think above all this is about the Democrats' hatred of Trump hence wanting him to fail at anything he proposes and fighting anything he does, and about political correctness. They hate Trump truly because of the social issues because they're afraid he's going to be unfriendly toward abortion and gay marriage, and because he's against the globalist system where American wealth is redistributed to the rest of the world through unfair trade agreements that benefit other countries over us.

They're also against the wall because they feel its "racist" and politically incorrect and might "offend" Mexicans. Its also about getting the Democrat votes of Mexicans living in the U.S.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:39 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Same reason that most of Americans know that a wall is a huge waste of money. What’s so hard to understand??
Don't group all Americans into the Left's agenda just because that is where you lean.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:40 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Trump doesn't actually want a wall either, nor does he really care about border security. He spent nearly two years doing almost nothing about the border while controlling both houses of Congress.

Once Ann Coulter and others on the right began to slam him, and threatened to abandon him, he suddenly decided to demand money for the wall. But he has gotten money in the past and didn't even spend it.

This is all just political-theater on all sides. The left just wants to stop Trump from succeeding at anything. And their insane partisanship has led them to support or oppose things they wouldn't otherwise.

Building a border barrier would help immensely with border security, and most sane people realize that the southern border is a problem that needs to be solved(and that the cost is a drop-in-the-bucket). The crazies on the left effectively want open-borders. But even the less-crazy constantly spout nonsense claiming that "barriers don't work", or that "they are immoral". And then go on to ramble that anything is better than a physical barrier.

But when you ask them whether we should take down the hundreds of miles of fencing we already have, they are like deer in a headlight.

All this debate over immigration just reminds me how stupid the average American is, how easily they are manipulated through emotions and outright propaganda, and why I hate this country.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:44 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
If Donald Trump said that we need to install 10 ft gold statues of himself every 10 miles bc Mexicans are scared of Donald Trump, would that be a good use of money. Bc that's only a slightly dumber idea than building a wall to seal off America from illegal entry.
Spoken like a true Democrat.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I'm a moderate Democrat and I have no problem with border security. But spending this kind of money on a wall without doing any of the more practical things to stop the problems we have from people who are already here seems like a waste of money. I've read that the wall will take a long time to build, will no doubt go way over budget, and be nearly obsolete by the time it is finished.

Instead of putting all of our eggs in one basket, we need to :

1 - increase funding to ferret out fraud and identity theft - social security and welfare fraud cost us a ton of money each year. I live in Southern California and have seen this first hand.

2 - make E-Verify mandatory. If there are not jobs, the incentive to come here will drop

3 - beef up border security with more agents, camers, drones, etc. - technology that is readily available

4 - fund the immigration courts - they are backlogged so badly that it is laughable. It takes forever for cases to even come before a judge. We need to fast track this.

5 - increase funding for ICE agents in cities with large illegal populations. I see folks that I'm sure aren't supposed to be here every day - usually they are near self storage facilities, big box DIY stores, etc. Does anyone check on them? Evidently not since there is a group of them there every single day.

These are just common sense things we should do - that people who are serious about this problem should be able to support. Yet all I hear is "wall, wall, wall". Putting all of your eggs in one basket is never a good idea.
What about things like ending birthright citizenship (one parent must be legal at least), going after employers who hire illegals, getting rid of in-state tuition for illegals, and making English the official language of the US? Or would this be too politically incorrect and "hurt the feelings" of the illegals too much?

Old 01-26-2019, 06:21 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The wall should go deep underground too. Israel is proof that walls work. They have walls along their entire border and its prevented a majority of terrorist infiltrations.
"Entire border".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies