Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will happen on February 15th?
Congress will come to an agreement that President Trump will sign 22 25.00%
President Trump will have to defend America and declare a National Emergency 38 43.18%
Pelosi will cause another government shutdown 28 31.82%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 11:46 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't think so. If he were going to declare a national emergency he would have done it already. Do you know how hard it was for him to capitulate today? You better believe he would not have done that had there been another way.
Cmon, LOL, Trump just said yesterday, he WOULD NEVER give up on this, he would keep it shutdown for years if thats what it took...and here we are the VERY next day and he is already caving? The shutdown hasnt even reached months long yet for petes sake!!?

Its pointless to discuss what will happen on 2-15, simply because Trump has proven that he cannot be trusted, his words mean nothing. He lost my support with this little stunt today.

Im starting to wonder if this wasnt the plan all along though, Trump is NO different than any of the other dirty and corrupt politicians, he literally just proved that with his actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Cmon, LOL, Trump just said yesterday, he WOULD NEVER give up on this, he would keep it shutdown for years if thats what it took...and here we are the VERY next day and he is already caving? The shutdown hasnt even reached months long yet for petes sake!!?

Its pointless to discuss what will happen on 2-15, simply because Trump has proven that he cannot be trusted, his words mean nothing. He lost my support with this little stunt today.

Im starting to wonder if this wasnt the plan all along though, Trump is NO different than any of the other dirty and corrupt politicians, he literally just proved that with his actions.
So you’ll vote Democrat, who is way less likely to do anything with border security?

Old 01-26-2019, 05:31 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Trump was bluffing about keeping the govt. shut down for years. He had no choice but to get it reopened temporarily. Airports were beginning to be shut down due to lack of personnel. I guaranteed you something else will be done on February 15th and leftist heads will probably explode again.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:53 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I always know it's a national emergency when it took the controlling party two years to get around to trying to make the wall happen and then the president talks about it for two months before declaring it an emergency.
You're quite disingenious. You know there wasn't a large enough majority in the Senate yes it was a majority but not 60 votes and not a single Democrat will come across the aisle and support border security - or anything Republicans proposed.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:03 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
The only face-saving move Trump has left is the national emergency gambit. Americans don't want his wall and certainly would not support another shutdown to force it. Never mind that a large majority of Americans do not consider the border situation a national emergency either. Going this route, too, will certainly ensure that the whole border wall initiative is dead , tied up in the courts until long after Trump has left office. Bottom line: no wall.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:14 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The only face-saving move Trump has left is the national emergency gambit. Americans don't want his wall and certainly would not support another shutdown to force it. Never mind that a large majority of Americans do not consider the border situation a national emergency either. Going this route, too, will certainly ensure that the whole border wall initiative is dead , tied up in the courts until long after Trump has left office. Bottom line: no wall.
Fine, just open the border to one and all, so that the democrats can win every election between now and the end of time. I for one and fed up with it, but this is the direction we are headed, and it means the end of our country as we know it. But I've learned not to stress over things I can't control. It is what it is.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:24 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Why do you keep up with the “illegals can vote” nonsense? You understand that everybody knows it’s untrue, yes?

Old 01-26-2019, 06:46 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Fine, just open the border to one and all, so that the democrats can win every election between now and the end of time. I for one and fed up with it, but this is the direction we are headed, and it means the end of our country as we know it. But I've learned not to stress over things I can't control. It is what it is.
I can see you have trouble with rational, logical thinking in some cases.

Nobody is saying 'open up the borders'.

Whatever we have been doing has been working. The number of people who have been caught along the border trying to enter illegally has dropped drastically. DEA agents are confident that MOST deadly drugs come through ports of entry - and via water. There may be some 'mairjuana' coming in on the open border -- but let's just legalize it in the border states -- and BAM problem solved, new economy for some and tax revenue potential for the government. As for sex trafficking -- we all know Trump's painted picture of how it is happening is something he fantasizes in his head about. Experts who have been involved and concerned about this issue for years and years and years -- not just adopting it as a platform to get votes and get their way, have said that Trump's stories of sex trafficking aren't accurate at all.

As for the burden on the welfare system. I can't speak for all communities but the ones I have lived with where it is been obvious there are some that may not have legal status -- they operate on a cash basis. They don't use banks for fear of being 'tracked' let alone sign up for welfare programs. Churches and schools often have programs for these individuals to help them out and they refuse to take the handouts because they think it will be a way of tracking them.

Yes -- some illegal residents commit violent crimes -- then let's prosecute them and send them home. They do not represent epidemic proportions of crime in our lsystem.

Seems we are catching them if they are coming in from the south (which they aren't -- they fly in on planes with visas and stay and then do their damage or radicalize via technology -- which the President doesn't have a clue about).

Old 01-26-2019, 06:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Those who live along the border seem to be split on a border structure. BUT what they have all said and seem to agree upon is that the legal ports of entry need more resources --human and otherwise Let's fix those ports of entry. Let's deal with the backlog. Let's shore up the systems to process immigrants, and illegal residents. Let's get e-verify up and running. Let's implement a system of tracking the visa system.

I was a green card holder and there are rules that are 'suppose' to be followed and they aren't. first of all they don't make sure you know the rules and then they don't enforce them. Most are minor.....notifying of change of address, renewing, etc. (Technically once you get a green card, it is very difficult to lose it but you can and are suppose to renew it every now and again). There is no penalty for lack of renewal, there is no tracking, there is nothing. They hand them out and done.

It is the same with the visa system.

It seems cumbersome and more complicated but it needs to be done.

The wall is a simple, expensive solution that may not address most of the problems.

Those cartels, real criminals -- will find away.

Yes it will stop those families who are desperate & stop parents from sending their unaccompanied children away from what they see are bigger dangers then what waits for them being sent away by themselves for safety.

Yeah -- a wall will work really well there.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:01 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
So you’ll vote Democrat, who is way less likely to do anything with border security?
I never said I was going to the democratic party..I think its high time an entirely new party rise up, one that actually caters to the interests of the people, dems and repubs are guilty of this today. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies