Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 08:39 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,443,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
... It was during the Obama regime that co2 was deemed as POLLUTION! Pseudo science at its WORST!
Wrong.

Carbon in itself is not a pollutant, any more than polypropylene, lead or rubbing alcohol.

But too much in the wrong place can be polluting. A large spill of isopropyl alcohol into a river can be a pollutant, a little bit in your aftershave is not.

Climate contrarians want to endanger the EPA climate endangerment finding

Quote:
The importance of the EPA endangerment finding
Briefly, the endangerment finding stemmed from a 2007 Supreme Court decision in which 12 states sued the EPA, calling on the agency to regulate carbon pollution under the Clean Air Act. The Supreme Court ruled in favor of those states, ordering EPA to determine if greenhouse gas emissions endanger public health and welfare. After considering the scientific evidence, including the latest IPCC report, national climate science assessments, etc., the EPA issued its endangerment finding correctly concluding that carbon pollution clearly endangers public health and welfare via its climate change impacts. As a result, the EPA is legally required to regulate carbon pollution.
Please note that the Supreme Court decision ordering the EPA to act occurred before Obama was president, and the EPA began it's work on this under president Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 08:50 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,904,108 times
Issues like AGW are not problems that most politicians really want to solve or even think the can solve. Its just a way to get people excited to vote for them. Take the war on drugs. Politicians promote solutions that are not really solutions to try to get elected. We could solve the drug problem, but people wouldnt like a real solution, so they just keep throwing money at the problem to make themselves look good so that they can get elected.

Its the same with the immigration issue and AGW.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:00 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,387,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Wrong.

Carbon in itself is not a pollutant, any more than polypropylene, lead or rubbing alcohol.

But too much in the wrong place can be polluting. A large spill of isopropyl alcohol into a river can be a pollutant, a little bit in your aftershave is not.

Climate contrarians want to endanger the EPA climate endangerment finding

Please note that the Supreme Court decision ordering the EPA to act occurred before Obama was president, and the EPA began it's work on this under president Bush.
More hysteria. Hey, captain science, carbon and carbon dioxide are not the same.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:18 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,414,424 times
Here is a good interactive article from the WaPo:

GONE IN A GENERATION
Across America, climate change is already disrupting lives

Quote:
The continental United States is 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than it was a century ago. Seas at the coasts are nine inches higher. The damage is mounting from these fundamental changes, and Americans are living it. These are their stories.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.0b303d5faef5

Old 01-31-2019, 09:23 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,129,543 times
"Omg i found so much cheap food in my local Walmart! World hunger is obviously a hoax!!!"

Old 01-31-2019, 09:29 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,233,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Here is a good interactive article from the WaPo:

GONE IN A GENERATION
Across America, climate change is already disrupting lives

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.0b303d5faef5
I'll ask you the same question I asked Heyschos yesterday.

What are we going to do about it?
* Ban cars?
* Ban airline travel (except for the elites of course)
* Ban manufacturing?
* Ban air conditioners?
* Force EVERYONE to buy solar panels?

Old 01-31-2019, 09:39 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,079 times
I'm alarmed, that's for sure. But it's not about climate change, weather, or global warming.

This thread is a horrifying example of what happens when you mix politics, science, and emotion. Stunning, actually.

I knew the disconnect of the masses from science was bad, but I didn't know it was this bad.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:41 AM

425 posts, read 391,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I'll ask you the same question I asked Heyschos yesterday.

What are we going to do about it?
* Ban cars?
* Ban airline travel (except for the elites of course)
* Ban manufacturing?
* Ban air conditioners?
* Force EVERYONE to buy solar panels?
Doing something is better than doing nothing. Incrementally more stringent regulation on all those have reduced their pollution output. You go to an extreme when we have been on this incremental path for 55 years.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:42 AM

27,519 posts, read 28,607,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I'm alarmed, that's for sure. But it's not about climate change, weather, or global warming.

This thread is a horrifying example of what happens when you mix politics and science. Stunning, actually.

I knew the disconnect of the masses from science was bad, but I didn't know it was this bad.
What does it matter in the end? What are people supposed to do even knowing that global warming is real?

Name something practical and likely to happen.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:45 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,342,935 times
Just in general, there's climate, and then there's weather. I don't know what's so hard to understand. Either people are stupid, deluded, or pathologically unwilling to educate themselves. Maybe they want their Las Vegas property to be beach front for their grand children?

Sometimes I wonder how we progressed so far to be able to ruin our planet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies