Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 03:01 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,880,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
CO2 (at the levels being discussed) is innocuous - mankind (and the planet) will always be best served by cleaning up dirty science whenever and wherever it crops up.
Where does the idea of cleaning up our dirty emission being a bad thing come from? You have an issue with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 03:38 PM

29,934 posts, read 18,491,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Where does the idea of cleaning up our dirty emissions being a bad thing come from?

CO2 is not a "dirty emission"- it is a building block of life that is as essential to life on our planet as O2 or water. We are carbon based beings, as is every form of plant and animal life on earth. There may be silicon based organisms somewhere, but not on our planet.

I fully support reducing actual industrial emission that are harmful to the environment (chloro-fluro carbons, sulpher dioxide, heavy metals, ect), However, CO2 is not only not a toxin, it is required by our planet to generate food and maintain life on the planet.

"Renewable" sources of energy are thus appealing in this regard. However, solar power is a terrible source of heavy metal toxins that is currently not "ready for prime time", lest we want to pollute the land and groundwater with heavy metals. Wind is probably the least offensive to the environment, with the major impact being on migratory birds.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
CO2 is not a "dirty emission"-
That isn't what I said, or what I asked. This goes to the discussion a bit earlier. Quit interjecting your politics into the discussion and answer my simple question.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:06 PM

8,058 posts, read 3,909,337 times
Quote:
Where does the idea of cleaning up our dirty emission being a bad thing come from? You have an issue with that?
Quote:
That isn't what I said, or what I asked. This goes to the discussion a bit earlier. Quit interjecting your politics into the discussion and answer my simple question.
I'll answer your question with a question...

If science somehow determined tomorrow that 1500 ppm CO2 in the atmosphere was optimal for life on earth, would man-made CO2 be considered a dirty emission?

Old 02-04-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I'll answer your question with a question...

If science somehow determined tomorrow that 1500 ppm CO2 in the atmosphere was optimal for life on earth, would man-made CO2 be considered a dirty emission?
I have no idea but it's never proper to answer a question with a question. There are many things we know for a fact that are bad for people. Why has it become so controversial to try and stop those actions?

Old 02-04-2019, 04:23 PM

8,058 posts, read 3,909,337 times
Quote:
I have no idea but it's never proper to answer a question with a question. There are many things we know for a fact that are bad for people. Why has it become so controversial to try and stop those actions?
Socrates would be crushed that you don't approve of maieutics.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:33 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,206,011 times
Quote:
So, research doesn't require large sums of money?
Why shouldn't research receive grants?

Let's see how far these grants go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq8Jo9QN0qA

Old 02-04-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Germany is a much smaller country.
LOL that's why he stated per capita.

Do you know why per capita was used in his statement?

Old 02-04-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
You see- that is the opposite of science.
No it's not...it's the basis of science. You simply don't have any valid scientific studies to share that would support your BS hypothesis that human activity is not responsible for the current global warming trend.

You have no clue what science is about. Stop beating your chest as if you do.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
CO2 is not a "dirty emission"- it is a building block of life that is as essential to life on our planet as O2 or water.
You are so clueless it's frightening. WRONG again! CO2_is_not_a_buidling_block_of_life.

The properties of carbon make it the backbone of the organic molecules which form living matter.

CO2 is not a backbone of organic molecules.

Sure keep beating your chest trying to convince us that you understand science. You don't even understand the basics of organic chemistry or biology.
Quote:
We are carbon based beings, as is every form of plant and animal life on earth.
Right on Sherlock but the Carbon backbone is not related to CO2 in any way shape or form. CO2 has nothing to do with the Carbon backbone that gives rise to living matter.

C-C-C-C-C = the Carbon Backbone.

Here's a simple lesson for you read up on.

Carbon Backbone

Last edited by Matadora; 02-04-2019 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies