Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:18 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times

Advertisements

What If Public Schools Were Abolished? - Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr. - Mises Institute

Quote:
There are decent public schools and terrible ones, so there is no use generalizing. Nor is there a need to trot out data on test scores. Let me just deal with economics. All studies have shown that average cost per pupil for public schools is twice that of private schools.
Quote:
In short, if we could abolish public schools and compulsory schooling laws, and replace it all with market-provided education, we would have better schools at half the price, and be freer too. We would also be a more just society, with only the customers of education bearing the costs.
Your thoughts? This article isn't about any President, administration, or policy. It's about the simple idea that the market could provide schools cheaper than the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 02:23 PM

290 posts, read 524,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
What If Public Schools Were Abolished? - Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr. - Mises Institute

Your thoughts? This article isn't about any President, administration, or policy. It's about the simple idea that the market could provide schools cheaper than the government.
This, like most other truths, is self-evident.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:28 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
I agree that public schools should be eliminated. When you make privately owned ones, there is competition. That's why we have Ivy League colleges.

I know most won't support abolishing public schools though. At the least, we should turn the schools systems over to counties. Federal control of schools causes too many problems.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
My issue with "public" schools, is simply that I dont believe the Federal Government should be involved. By nature, schools are local, and should be locally funded.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:33 PM

270 posts, read 527,041 times
If public school were abolished I would be out of a job.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:33 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
My issue with "public" schools, is simply that I dont believe the Federal Government should be involved. By nature, schools are local, and should be locally funded.
My issue is waste. Why are public schools more expensive than private which are often better than their "free" counterparts? Is it regulation? Is it just waste? Is it too little or too much oversight? I don't have kids, so I don't pay any attention to the schools around here, although I bought a house in the "good" district.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:34 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I agree that public schools should be eliminated. When you make privately owned ones, there is competition. That's why we have Ivy League colleges.

I know most won't support abolishing public schools though. At the least, we should turn the schools systems over to counties. Federal control of schools causes too many problems.
Ivy League schools. Now there's a recommendation. Dilatant rich kids studying liberal arts. Hell of a country,

Old 04-08-2008, 02:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Give local school districts back to the local governments to be run.
Getting the Fed involved was just asking for trouble.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Ivy League schools. Now there's a recommendation. Dilatant rich kids studying liberal arts. Hell of a country,
Who says the less fortunate can't attend?

Stop assuming.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:39 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanw View Post
If public school were abolished I would be out of a job.
Most people think that the abolishment of public schools means NO schools. As a teacher you'd be free to teach at any school.

Compulsory attendance laws are ridiculous, it forces children who don't want to be there to attend and disrupts those who wish to learn. There was a similar thread about this...the foundation of public schooling was that everyone has a right to an education whether they are rich or poor. Thomas Jefferson founded the University of Virginia for this reason.

This, however, does not mean that there should be truancy laws and such. Public schools have become like prisons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies