Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 07:13 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times

Advertisements

Saw this post in another thread, but it pretty much sums up how liberals see anyone who disagrees with them. I've seen similar thoughts expressed in other posts here, and on other forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
..I honestly think people who can't acknowledge what is right in front of them are "slow" - have some learning disability, perhaps are developmentally disabled. Some lack of proper brain function.
Personally I've been called everything from "uneducated" to "need to see a psychiatrist" to out and out "retarded" on various boards because I don't hold a liberal point of view.

Why? What drives this behavior?

Old 01-26-2019, 07:14 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Why do conservatives believe anyone who disagrees with them has a mental disorder?

I've seen similar thoughts expressing here and elsewhere many times.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:16 PM

But to answer the question, I don't think that about conservatives on most things, but some things I do.

If we have a disagreement about gun policy or abortion or something, thats probably a value judgement so its not that one person is right or wrong necessarily.

On the other hand, not accepting the reality of climate change. That's just plain ignorance on behalf of people who have chosen not to avail themselves of the overwhelming scientific evidence for it, while also rejecting the conclusions of professional scientists who have actually studied that evidence. Even that really wouldn't really be considering them unintelligent. I certainly feel they have the intelligence to understand the issue if they studied it properly.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:20 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Why do conservatives believe anyone who disagrees with them has a mental disorder?

That isn't true, most of us believe that liberalism is a mental disorder but there are tons of people out there who I disagree with and I don't think they've got a mental problem at all, only the hardcore liberals.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That isn't true, most of us believe that liberalism is a mental disorder but there are tons of people out there who I disagree with and I don't think they've got a mental problem at all, only the hardcore liberals.
Case in point.

Neither conservatism nor liberalism is a mental disorder.

They are different political viewpoints.

A person with a mental disorder would have trouble even understanding what a political viewpoint is.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:22 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Because if you acknowledge the person you're arguing with is just as smart as you are, then their arguments have merit.
The left doesn't have good arguments for many of their positions, so when they lose it can't be because theirs position may be wrong, it has to be because anyone that can't see their brilliance must be stupid.

Simple.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Because if you acknowledge the person you're arguing with is just as smart as you are, then their arguments have merit.
No, that is not a valid logical statement.

Just because someone is intelligent does not mean all of his/her arguments are correct.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:26 PM

334 posts, read 227,329 times
Being a centrist, I seem the same behavior from both sides. It can be quite entertaining, but sad at the same time.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:28 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Case in point.

Neither conservatism nor liberalism is a mental disorder.

They are different political viewpoints.

A person with a mental disorder would have trouble even understanding what a political viewpoint is.
Embrace it, then change.
Banging yourself in the head only leads to more brain damage.
It's not the sign of intelligence some think it is.
The brain isn't like a political system that some want to destroy and make better. The success rate is about the same for both though. No one with a good quality functioning brain wants to be party to the experiment when they have a political system that has proven to be the most successful the world has ever known. Producing more good than any before it. Those that are a part of it, and hate it, will never satisfy their self-hatred even when they get what they want.

Last edited by phma; 01-26-2019 at 07:43 PM..

Old 01-26-2019, 07:29 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:

That over-simplification may hold among "traditionalist" conservatives whose beliefs are grounded by religious and nationalistic absolutes -- but it doesn't for libertarians (lower case 'l' emphasized), who see both personal and economic freedoms as inseparable, and are the fastest-growing and most independent-thinking component of the "conservative" spectrum.

Unfortunately, the supposedly open-minded "progressives" immediately fall back upon this stereotype in order to attack all those who recognize the often-contradictory collection of non-principles presented as "politically Correct" -- but in reality, just another form of Holy Writ espoused by a vocal, immature and often vulgar minority.

Quote:
On the other hand, not accepting the reality of climate change. That's just plain ignorance on behalf of people who have chosen not to avail themselves of the overwhelming scientific evidence for it, while also rejecting the conclusions of professional scientists who have actually studied that evidence. Even that really wouldn't really be considering them unintelligent. I certainly feel they have the intelligence to understand the issue if they studied it properly.
There is quite a bit of bias in most of the "discussion" of climate change at this site.

Most of us admit that the climate changes -- has for all of recorded history. But contradictory evidence that rules out the influence of industrialization, such as the "Little Ice Age" of 600-900", the acknowledged existence of somewhat-wetter conditions in what is now the Sahara Desert in Roman/Biblical times, or an alarm over "global cooling" in the early 1960s, are conveniently ignored -- in favor of commercials showing cuddly polar bears, and aimed at adolescents (because 14-year-olds have a weaker conception of time and spend freely; mature adults don't).

Anyone who agrees with the "pop wisdom" of "global warming" is regaled as a "climate scientist" is invited to climb aboard the bandwagon; British juvenile author Saci Lloyd, who depicted tropical vegetation in London as early as 2015, is a regrettable example. More skeptical individuals such as the gentleman below, whom I've been acquainted with for over forty years, aren't invited to the party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Bastardi

View Poll Results: How much more per month would you be willing to pay (for climate change mitigation)? *

$5 or less per month
2.90%

$10 per month
2.90%

$25 per month
1.45%

$50 per month

0%

$100 or more per month
2.90%

Nothing - I should get a rebate for all this climate B.S.
89.86%

Voters: 69.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-26-2019 at 08:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies