Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 09:35 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times

Advertisements

Good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 10:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I didn’t have to go back very far. Just a couple of hours ago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/54269101-post2067.html
Weak. I’m not saying that I’d do that to him. I said that he needs it. And he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So your dad is a Northwestern alum?
Yes he is. And a fanatically proud one too. Probably flies into half the home football games every season! And has season tix for basketball even though he only comes up for the really big home games.

So naturally he tried to stuff the Cats down our throats growing up! I was always a homer though, so I went to ASU. I didn’t have Northwestern grades anyway.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:46 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Too bad it doesn't come directly from the cops who did it.
Yeah, one of my first cousins lives in Evanston, as does a slightly more removed cousin on the other side of my family. They're probably not very happy about it.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:51 AM

18,461 posts, read 15,240,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Weak. I’m not saying that I’d do that to him. I said that he needs it. And he does.
Quote:
desertdetroiter said:”When did I ever advocate for someone to be beaten unjustifiably? Tell me.
You said “he needs it”. That sounds a lot like “advocating for it” to me.

But, whatever.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
When did I ever advocate for someone to be beaten unjustifiably? Tell me.

My dad was going to college in Evanston for almost 7 years about 55 years ago. He felt safer there than dealing with Chicago’s cops.

I see this incident as an aberration for Evanston. At least until there are repeat incidents like this one.
Exactly! It's always been a pretty tolerant (except for booze...lol) town with cops accustomed to dealing with people of all races from all economic backgrounds.

Kudos to your dad - that's a pretty competitive school to get into, let alone graduate from. Smart dude. What happened to you, DD?

Old 01-28-2019, 10:18 AM

78,352 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Evanston contends their protocol for felony traffic stops was to render the suspect prone. And that they did.

There is nothing to indicate he was put down because of his race.

This situation compelled a change in protocol.

What remains unanswered is why the man was arrested, once LE concluded he was the owner of the car.
They were trying to CYA.

We've seen a number of cases where the cops screwed up royally so they dug up SOMETHING to charge the guy with and then offer to drop the charges if the person just forgets the whole thing.

It's the old "double down" bluff. Have to wonder how many times they've gotten away with it.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
He should have expected more from Evanston cops because they're generally not like this.

And you're singing to the choir regarding Laquan McDonald. I've been posting about him ever since the video came out.

Chicago cops have always been crooked with the judicial system and mayor and his cronies all in bed with them, otherwise Van Dyke wouldn't have gotten off with such a ridiculous sentence. That's not news, however, and isn't going away any time soon.

Evanston isn't Chicago - I'm still surprised that the cops did this.
Thanks for the response.

IMO Evanston uses a variation of the same "aggressive policing" the CPD uses to make sure that it stays *nice* and the "bad guys" stay in their own neighborhoods.

Now sure, they're not AS BAD as the CPD but that's arguably comparing them to one of the worst police forces in terms of abuse in the entire country.

I'm less concerned about VanDykes sentence than I am the conspiracy involving dozens of individuals that are still on the force and in public office that actively worked to keep him from ever even facing charges in the first place.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Exactly! It's always been a pretty tolerant (except for booze...lol) town with cops accustomed to dealing with people of all races from all economic backgrounds.

Kudos to your dad - that's a pretty competitive school to get into, let alone graduate from. Smart dude. What happened to you, DD?
The apple didn’t stop rolling when it fell from the tree. And it keeps rolling til this day.

My mom went to University of Chicago...my parents met in Chicago while in college.

So I had two chances to inherit some brains and failed. LMAO

Old 01-28-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:

My dad was going to college in Evanston for almost 7 years about 55 years ago. He felt safer there than dealing with Chicago’s cops.

I see this incident as an aberration for Evanston. At least until there are repeat incidents like this one.
IMO Evanston polices more by harassment than beat downs. Gotta keep it *nice* after all. Very similar to what you might see around Lincoln Park.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:01 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Quote:
You've shown your true colours - you're one of "them"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies