Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who does the money you have legally earned belong to?
The society 3 2.22%
The government 10 7.41%
You 117 86.67%
I don’t know. 5 3.70%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 10:30 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think majority of that money belongs to me, but a percentage belongs to the society because let's be fair, we cannot survive without other people because we are social animals.

Yes, you do need to pay taxes.
If my taxes just paid for the public services actually needed by society, that 1% of my income wouldn't be much of a burden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 10:33 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
What is this social contract you speak of? Did Moses bring it back from Mount Sinai, with the 17 commandments? Slipped between the two tablets?

It's about as real.

There are two rules, don't initiate aggression, don't take private property without consent.

If you don't abide by those rules you won't be oppressed, but we will cap your ass in defense of self or others and property. The force used may be collective, or individual, it's irrelevant, it's solely using force in defense. Anarchy doesn't equate to pacifism. It's two simple rules, and they're pretty ubiquitous.
There is one of you, and my gang has 100 people. You may put a cap in a few of us, but you are going to end up dead, and we going to eat your cows.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:42 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
There is one of you, and my gang has 100 people. You may put a cap in a few of us, but you are going to end up dead, and we going to eat your cows.
Yep, but your 100 gang isn't going to get far on me and my stuff, the next person you choose to attack you're going to find more difficult if not impossible. You'd be a forcing function for a mutual defense for that area, ultimately eliminating yourselves from the gene pool.

It's not perfect, but it works, has worked for the millennia before the rise of divine right and official government's.

Still works today in international politics. Explain why the US doesn't invade Mexico? Who is stopping us? Or Canada? Because we know that one may fall, but the response would be overwhelming. The risk is not worth the reward.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:45 AM

I'm going to put to rest that "taxes are theft" argument.

Say I live in your anarchist utopia. I have a tool you want to use. I give you set of terms you have to abide by in order to use my tool, and by using my tool you accept the terms. You are also aware that if you do not abide by the terms, I will shoot you. At this point, you can either choose to use my tool, or not use my tool. It's completely voluntary.

Now, let say there was this tool provided by a government that in order to use, you had to abide by certain terms. If you do not agree to these terms, you do not have to use it.

When you sell your time/labor for currency, you've just voluntary opted into the terms associated with use of the currency. The only thing taxed in the western world is currency. You are assessed, and pay in currency.

Now some of you are going to argue about property taxes. There again, you choose to live in a place that required property taxes. You can choose not to buy the house, and go live in the woods and eat squirrels.

With that said, when you consciously make the decision to use the tools, and engage in commerce of the collective, you do have to follow their terms of engagement. If you not want to follow their terms, do not engage. Anarchist seem to have a problem with this, despite it being in line with their doctrine.

Last edited by billydaman; 01-28-2019 at 10:55 AM..

Old 01-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Yep, but your 100 gang isn't going to get far on me and my stuff, the next person you choose to attack you're going to find more difficult if not impossible. You'd be a forcing function for a mutual defense for that area, ultimately eliminating yourselves from the gene pool.

It's not perfect, but it works, has worked for the millennia before the rise of divine right and official government's.

Still works today in international politics. Explain why the US doesn't invade Mexico? Who is stopping us? Or Canada? Because we know that one may fall, but the response would be overwhelming. The risk is not worth the reward.

Yeah, the 100 people I'm with are the "mutual defense" and we think you are Ted Kaczynski.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:51 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If the "societal infrastructure" was built by an illegitimate state with stolen money, who has any claim to it?
This statement makes no sense.
Everyone engaged in this is engaged voluntarily.
There are other options, you know.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Yeah, the 100 people I'm with are the "mutual defense" and we think you are Ted Kaczynski.
Oh so instead of our side oppressing you, you're now saying you're going to oppress us.

So it's just a normal day then.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This statement makes no sense.
Everyone engaged in this is engaged voluntarily.
There are other options, you know.
Please enumerate them. Before I shred the claims.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:17 AM

26,785 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabaman View Post
it's actually not a simple question at all. The nature of money, what it is, its role in society as a method of exchange of work and storage of wealth, and its future in a society rapidly moving towards automation and obsolescence of labor, are very complex topics.

Then of course you have the more philosophical study of the individual versus society, and the evolution of our societal obligations as population grows, technology improves, and resources are depleted.

But yeah, let's just pretend it's a simple question for a poll

Thank you.
First they pose the wrong questions, then they seethe with anger, when you give the wrong answers - not the kind they expect)))

Old 01-28-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Oh so instead of our side oppressing you, you're now saying you're going to oppress us.

So it's just a normal day then.

Yeah, I have no problem oppressing you, I benefit from it. This is why you need government, and rule of law, to protect you from people and groups like me. Rules only work if there is a big gun telling people to follow them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies