Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:59 PM

29,210 posts, read 22,341,507 times

Advertisements

Why can't we just end the drug war?

Because it makes too many people too much money to stop it. If you consider how much of our government's funding goes in some way to the drug war, how many American citizens profit from it, and think about all the ways that profit comes to them, stopping the war would raise hell with our economy.

And money will always buy power. Always has, always will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 11:57 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
It usually starts as either peer pressure, or someone dealing with too much stress or going through a depression, and they start looking for ways to drown out their pain.
But shouldn't people know by now that it just doesn't work? That drugs will not solve their problems?
I have had my share of problems, but I never even thought of taking drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Right, thats why I specifically said to legalize and regulate them all, this would take the criminal element completely out of the equation, there would be no more confusion about whats actually in the drugs they are taking, or accidentally dying because they didnt know elephant tranquilizer was mixed into the dope to increase weight!

If drugs were legalized and regulated, price would come WAY down, heroin is so artificially inflated, and its all due to risk, it being illegal.
But I don't think that would reduce the number of addicts with their mental and societal problems.
Here in Portugal they have decriminalized several aspects of drugs (drugs possession for personal use is not a crime anymore), but there are still lots of drug addicts and and the problems they have and cause don't go away.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:09 PM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWcV94G4rRI

Old 03-10-2019, 10:11 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yet another excellent example of why "the war on drugs" needs to end.

It's such a joke at this point that any politician should be tarred and feathered if they still support it.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:25 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,677 times
And here's yet another example why The War On Drugs needs to end. People, it is OUR black market drug money that is fueling this type of carnage:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...outputType=amp

Quote:
Just across the border from the U.S., drug gangs slaughtered 23 people — hanging nine from a bridge and decapitating 14 more, whose heads were found stashed in coolers near the town hall.

The four men and five women discovered dangling from the Colosio Bridge in Nuevo Laredo were handcuffed, blindfolded and bore signs of torture.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:28 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,765,029 times
Default The Real Drug Thread

So, lets talk about illegal narcotics and how we really feel about them.

Weed......ok, I don't give a damn...and if most conservatives are like me, why is it still illegal?

Don't play the blame game, and say it is a mind set against tokers and stoners, it is us vs. them....none of that....I want to know why people think it is still illegal?

Here is my position on it. Aside from I will not have a stoner on my payroll for safety, well stated, the reason that it is still illegal is the false economic activity it creates.

Follow along:

If it is illegal, there there are criminal and potentially civil penalties for use, sale, distribution, consumption, and transportation.

We have more lawyers in America then any other nation on earth, per capita, and they are not giving up their income. Legalization or even a citation that can be a small fine in a court does not require a lawyer, and lawyers want to eat.

Now what is funny.....kids vote left because they see "the man" as a right wing lunatic who will try to lock them up for using.....and in reality, 90% or more or lawyers are on the left with them, in ideology....but in practice, they need the level of criminal activity to feed the system.

We have a massive private corrections system in America.....if you started decriminalizing drugs, the prisoners could all be housed in state facilities and private corrections would end. Private Corrections, like CCA and Wackenhunt, pay lobbyists to insure that weed stays illegal. Or they try.

Lots of District Attorney's offices get funding from fees assessed to drunk and drug offenders.....now who wants to cut their budgets?

Now...to add this: The Trump haters don't want to hear about Trump may be the guy to force or compel the Feds to decriminalize weed....hurts their hate game.....but look what Trump will face: The police unions...the trial lawyers (may not be as important), and a host of other groups who may publicly say they want the oppressive laws to end, but in reality, they make a living from crime.

Now, if you think this is wrong, I challenge you to remember (those old enough) the double nickel. 55 mph speed limits.

They saved lives. No doubt about it. Didn’t save as much fuel as they wanted, but highway deaths went down by more then half.

After several years, the speed limit began creeping up when the feds quit tying highway money to enforcement...and you know who lobbied the hardest for bringing speed limits up? It wasn't the Auto Club......

It was Boardman, LaFrance, Emergency Equipment of America, The automakers......and why? Sales. Also, hosptials lost their ERs in some areas.......

This is an example of what I call a "false economy"........

Old 03-13-2019, 08:00 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
All drugs should be decriminalized, no exceptions. The state has no right to deny possession of any property be it it drugs, guns, etc. or to dictate what a person can put into their own body.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:09 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
This is why there is so much corruption and collusion in the drug industry...too many benefiting/profiting off laws against these drugs, not just MJ either, ALL street drugs.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:23 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
All drugs should be decriminalized, no exceptions. The state has no right to deny possession of any property be it it drugs, guns, etc. or to dictate what a person can put into their own body.
I couldn't disagree more. Since people are social beings, other people are forced to have to do with stoned people, which leads to all kinds of problems. Not to mention that someone destroying their body becomes a burden on the healthcare system.
Buy a one-way flight to the moon and I don't care how many drugs you take with you

Frankly, I think there should even be a blood alcohol limit in public, for everyone including pedestrians, not just car drivers.

Last edited by Neuling; 03-13-2019 at 11:03 AM..

Old 03-13-2019, 10:36 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Why Can't We Just End The Drug War? (Congress, illegal, injection)

I would guess it is not so easy to disengage from a policy that is a half century old and has been more or less bipartisan in its support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies