Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Congressional Democrats Negotiate in Good Faith on Border Security?
Yes 18 17.31%
No 80 76.92%
Not sure/Maybe/Can't answer 6 5.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 03:32 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I clicked not sure.
One thing that I'm sure about is that the Dems. are not going to go for a wall. The wall is a simple minded solution for simple minded people. What they will go for is greater technological monitoring of the border at known crossing points. They will go for more inspectors at ports of entry to interdict drugs, and to hopefully to protect the middle class find and deport people who overstay their H-1b visas.

This President stupidly went on the record as accepting responsibility for the shutdown. They may steer him in that direction on Feb. 15.

Simple minded solution for simple minded people? Are you not aware that both Schumer and Obama signed the actual wall bill back in 2006? Are they simple minded people to you? The good walls do work you might want to educate yourself on this. We tried high tech stuff years ago and it failed so it was scrapped. It's not only visa over stayers that should be deported but border jumpers also. Trump may have shut down the government but it was Pelosi and Schumer that kept it shut down by not negotiating for a wall that they already signed up for years ago. I guess you know better than Homeland Security and the Border Patrol? Why don't Schumer and Pelosi ask them what is needed to secure our border? They are the boots on the ground. It's because Pelosi and Schumer know that the good walls work and it doesn't fit with their agenda.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 03:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
This whole thing is just so silly.

Trump demanding a border wall, because he promised it to his 25% constituency.

No, you can't have your wall.

No, they aren't obligated to compromise with you, just because your friends want it and will find you weak if you can't ram it down the throats of the vast majority.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:40 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I guess all of the cultists on here are salivating at a way to blame the Democrats. Remember it was Trump who had 2 years to get this wall if he wanted it so badly. Trumps numbers were falling so bad that he decided to act like he wants a negotiation, actually he is posing to use his emergency declaration to get his wall. Trumps actions are so transparent and predictable. Trump needs to quit listening to Ann Coulter and the Faux news crowd.

Here we go again, Trump never had the 60 votes or a filibuster proof majority in congress since he was elected to pass a wall funding bill.

If Trump were truly listening to Coulter and Fox News then why did he decide to re-open the government? Coulter called him a wimp for doing so! You guys are so desperate with your conspiracy theories that it's laughable to say the least.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:54 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Here we go again, Trump never had the 60 votes or a filibuster proof majority in congress since he was elected to pass a wall funding bill.

If Trump were truly listening to Coulter and Fox News then why did he decide to re-open the government? Coulter called him a wimp for doing so! You guys are so desperate with your conspiracy theories that it's laughable to say the least.
How many Republican lawmakers actually wanted or would vote for 'the wall" in the past two years?

About a fourth?

Old 01-27-2019, 03:58 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

Trump reopened the government because he wants to give his State of the Union speech in the House chamber and Nancy and Mitch told him that that wasn't happening with the shutdown.

He thinks that negotiations means that he gets what he wants. Period.

He already left himself an opening by saying that the wall will be a smart wall. The Democrats have said that they're willing to include money to replace existing fencing. That would be an acceptable compromise. If he still wants to give his speech, he will compromise.

If you think that technology hasn't advanced, that's up to you.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:13 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Trump reopened the government because he wants to give his State of the Union speech in the House chamber and Nancy and Mitch told him that that wasn't happening with the shutdown.

He thinks that negotiations means that he gets what he wants. Period.

He already left himself an opening by saying that the wall will be a smart wall. The Democrats have said that they're willing to include money to replace existing fencing. That would be an acceptable compromise. If he still wants to give his speech, he will compromise.

If you think that technology hasn't advanced, that's up to you.
Unless new technology is a force field then no new technology is the same as a wall. Let me explain it so even a liberal can understand.

Wall = illegals stay in mexico. They are housed in mexico, they are fed in mexico, and they get heslth care by mexico. While waiting for asylum court date.

No wall = they either sneak into usa and we dont know who they are or where they go.. or they ask for asylum when they get caught... in which we house them, we feed them, And we give them free health care... until their court date... if they show up... where 80% are denied and they get deported... so they can do it all
Over again!

This wall does not work bull....it is the most stupid thing i have ever heard.. show me illegals walking thru mexico with ladders and shovels... or is it a acme store on the southern side of the border.. ladder rentals
By the hour? Come on you really do think americans are that stupid?

So if walls dont work and we need to take these people then you on the left are for rapists and drug traffickers because that is what is happening to these ladies who are brought here..illegally...

Old 01-27-2019, 05:14 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
No. They have no need to. Trump shut it down and is trying to build a wall that the majority of the country isn't interested in.

Most of us want dems to give him the middle finger. Pelosi is doing good so far

Old 01-27-2019, 05:15 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Unless new technology is a force field then no new technology is the same as a wall. Let me explain it so even a liberal can understand.

Wall = illegals stay in mexico.
Why do right wingers have trouble thinking outside the box? Must be all that Bible thumping...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/border-...ls-since-1990/

Old 01-27-2019, 05:21 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What reason do they have to negotiate now? Trump showed his hand and caved. If I were the dems I would take him for everything they can get.

Plus, the dems know his weakness now too.
A lot of the people gloating that "Trump caved" are the very same people who were going bat guano insane over him letting federal workers go without paychecks. It's all just BS. The emotions may be real but the words are all nonsense.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:22 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Why do right wingers have trouble thinking outside the box? Must be all that Bible thumping...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/border-...ls-since-1990/
Oh the wall cant stop them all so why try at all theory.. so original.. lets use that theory for other things then.

Birth control doesnt stop all pregnancy so why take it at all?

You cant catch all drunk drivers so why try? No more traffic stops.

Alarm systems can be disabled.. outlaw them since they dont stop all
Thieves.

Who needs referees when they dont get every call right.

Speed limits? Why have them if people speed?

This all or nothing logic is just plain stupid! And calling me a bible thumper? Oh yes all conservatives are religious bible thumping zealots... well you got that wrong.. the religion and all about me.. i am not even christian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies