Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

No shortage of large corporate giving, funding and resources, to schools.

It’s all deductible.

Good to hear PJ chose to do so, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 08:30 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No shortage of large corporate giving, funding and resources, to schools.

It’s all deductible.

Good to hear PJ chose to do so, too.
Certainly made my day!

Old 01-28-2019, 08:31 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Your quote was that papa johns was to help fund for black colleges. Why only black colleges, why not every race? No offence, but the one race who has helped me the most has been the Indians. I prefer to help them over all other races. But again, why do only black people matter with you, when this earth has several races that are very much important in it's make up. Got news for you, you are not so special. I am a white girl who has been arrested three times and even shot once on my damn horse by the police! So don't give me this crap about how oppressed black people are. The entire world is oppressed by the elite who control the government and the police who are sent to attack anyone who refuses to be a mindless puppet. MLK, Malcolm X, and JFK were killed by the same kinds of people, while the likes of the Bush's, Clintons and Farrakhans were allowed to spew their BS because they played the game like the elite want.
Do the double pack of Snickers. One won’t be enough.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:36 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,617 times
papa john spoke the truth and they couldnt handle it

Old 01-28-2019, 08:39 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
This. All it will do is fatten the bank accounts of the college administrators and professors, and the the editors who made the books. Funny, most of the most successful people in this country never even got a college degree. I myself make about 3 million a year and have only a vocational 2 year degree under my belt. And I got it all myself through loans, no hand outs to help me.
Congrats.

You are a statistical outlier.

Silly question: Did ya start with 1000 dollars or 1,000,000?

if 1000 damn impressive. Preach on venture capitalist who actually climbed the ladder to success. If one million... much preaching about not much.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:50 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Now this is the kind of corporate responsibility that I like.

Bennett College is a tiny Private College in Carolina established back in 1873 for the education of black coeds. It has since become an all women’s college and is struggling to save its accreditation. With less that 500 students, they don’t really take in much in tuition money and their endowment is quite small.

I went on FB (something I rarely do) to give black folks hell about an HBCU needing to pass the hat for $5 million dollars. There is simply TOO MUCH money floating around the black community for this to happen, and we shouldn’t be passing around the jar to finance our own institutions when we’re spending billions on other nonsense. And with Papa John’s stepping up in a major way, we should be embarrassed that it’s come to this. They never should’ve needed to contribute a dime.

But they did and I’m grateful. I don’t actually like their food, but now I gotta take one for the team.

Kudos to Papa John’s. And I’m sure it helps with their old headlines!!

https://www.blackenterprise.com/papa...nnett-college/

Hard not to like that.

But I think you would be surprised that there is much more of this than you think.

For instance, I worked for a Big Pharma company back in the 90s. They had a special summer internship program that recruited solely from Historically Black Colleges.

Every summer a large group of African American biz students would show up and work in various departments. Some procured permanent employment and all were able to put a Fortune 500 company on their resume.

Hard workers too.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:37 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Your quote was that papa johns was to help fund for black colleges. Why only black colleges, why not every race? No offence, but the one race who has helped me the most has been the Indians. I prefer to help them over all other races. But again, why do only black people matter with you, when this earth has several races that are very much important in it's make up. Got news for you, you are not so special. I am a white girl who has been arrested three times and even shot once on my damn horse by the police! So don't give me this crap about how oppressed black people are. The entire world is oppressed by the elite who control the government and the police who are sent to attack anyone who refuses to be a mindless puppet. MLK, Malcolm X, and JFK were killed by the same kinds of people, while the likes of the Bush's, Clintons and Farrakhans were allowed to spew their BS because they played the game like the elite want.
Because they have a black eye based on some comment made by the founder regarding black folks, although I honestly can't remember what it was. He may have used the N word? I don't recall, but apparently the board had other issues with him and kind of set him up.

At any rate if he had said something offensive about another group, they would have been the benefactors. They're doing damage control the same way Chick-fil-A did when they stepped in it with the gay community.

And $500K is better than nothing, folks, so if it's helpful in any way, that's what counts.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:40 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
I was happy to see him donate and like you OP was dissapointed in the HBCU community (of which I am an alum) for not immediately raising the money. It really isn't a lot. I did donate myself as my college pushed this out to us and asked all alumni to donate to save Bennett.

But plenty of racist people have donated and even helped establish HBCUs so in a way this is keeping up the tradition lol. I hope he donates another $500k.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:46 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
I should note, I'm more a fan of genuine acts than I am of damage control reaction. Little Caesar's founder Mike Ilitch read that Rosa Parks had been robbed and assaulted in her home in 1994 and he moved her into a secure building, paying her rent until the day she died.

Also bad pizza, but a more genuine act, in my opinion.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I should note, I'm more a fan of genuine acts than I am of damage control reaction. Little Caesar's founder Mike Ilitch read that Rosa Parks had been robbed and assaulted in her home in 1994 and he moved her into a secure building, paying her rent until the day she died.

Also bad pizza, but a more genuine act, in my opinion.

I agree in regards to genuine acts and will note on the bold that no one knew he was paying her rent until after he died a few years ago! That is to be admired IMO.

I'll note I remember when Rosa Parks was robbed and assaulted. I was living in Detroit at the time with a relative and they had a lot of ANGRY black people on the news in a frenzy that someone had the gall to beat up Rosa Parks. I also remember they showed the mug shots of the perps that did it and they were all bloodied and bruised up because the inmates at the jail beat their butts so bad when they found out what they did. A lady they interviewed, I remember a reporter telling her that the perps said they didn't know it was Rosa Park's house and the lady responded "everybody know where Rosa Parks live!" and looked all mad and angry.

I was glad she moved out of the area and thought that Ilitch was a true, genuinely decent person for doing what he did for her and not telling a soul about it. Today people always want to brag about their charity but he didn't and that is to be respected IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies