Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 07:13 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They don't see the destination, that's the issue. I wanted to go to the airport 30 minutes away but the guy that showed up "had an appointment" coming up and wanted to stay close to home and not risk being stuck in traffic so I had to start over again, knowing it could happen again. Fortunately it didn't but I couldn't believe that's actually how they run the business.
How do they not see the destination? You have to put in your destination when you call for one, that's how they give you a price right up front and the driver knows if they want to take it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 07:21 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
I drove Uber/Lyft part time for a year or so. I had around 10 people who wanted to bring dogs into my car and NONE of them had service animal vests or appeared to be legit service animals. 5 of the people flat out asked me if it was okay to bring the dog in the car. They texted/called me before I arrived. I said as long as the dog is behaved and sits quietly, it's fine.

The other 5 or so people tried the BS game of saying it's a therapy dog or it's a service dog. If they had just been honest and texted/called before I arrived, I would have said no problem.

My guess is the driver in question is so used to people scamming that he just assumes every dog is a fake service dog. And unfortunately drivers are not given much power when it comes to service animals. We are only allowed to ask if it's a service animal and what it is trained to do.

Easy solution: Have a national registry for trained service dogs. If your dog is on the registry, you are given a certificate/ID of some sort. You can show this ID/certificate to restaurants, stores, and upload to Uber. Airlines should start requiring this certification to avoid the influx of therapy animal scammers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
How do they not see the destination? You have to put in your destination when you call for one, that's how they give you a price right up front and the driver knows if they want to take it or not.
Drivers cannot see the destination until we have arrived at the passenger pickup location and tapped "Pick Up". They do this to eliminate discrimination and drivers picking passengers based on drop-off location.

The driver doesn't know the cost of the ride until the ride has ended.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:23 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Then you shouldn't be hired by Uber. You are either all in with every law or you don't work there. Simple.
Who doesn't want an Uber ride that smells like wet animal fur. Or dog pee. I've ridden in some nice rides and if it were mine I'd not want some nastly, rust colored, soggy poodle on my cloth seats. Disclosing you have a pet should be part of the transaction. Or that you are drunk or an Ahole. Or that your kid has a load in his diaper and they want to change it out on my leather seats.

Can we rate the passengers?

Old 01-28-2019, 07:33 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Can we rate the passengers?
Yep, drivers can rate passengers. Most won't accept rides from passengers with below 4.5 stars.

Unfortunately our lovely mayor in Chicago made it so that Uber/Lyft do not show passenger ratings to drivers. Apparently it's discrimination to not accept crappy passengers into your own car.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:13 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Maybe because every experience I've had with them has been a good one and I'll use them again when I need to
Sure! Why should you care about what a scummy reputation they have? Why should you care that they try to cheat their drivers? Why should you care that they either skirt the law or try to have laws bent to favor them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No, Uber is one of best things to ever happen. You can get a cab 24 hrs a day anywhere in the country for cheaper than local cab services...and effortlessly. That wasn't possible before. That's unmatched convenience.
I wish I could remember who is was who recently said something like, the road to disaster is paved with convenience. It's not all necessarily about convenience. you know, nor about pinching pennies. (And they're not necessarily cheaper, anyway, because their prices vary.) Maybe some people prefer to support law-abiding companies that treat their people well, instead of preying on them.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:22 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
The only time someone would be obligated to mention to an Uber driver that they have a dog, is if the dog is not a service animal. Obviously.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:43 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
I see both sides. It's easy enough (albeit annoying) to get another Uber. Uber driver was caught off guard that there would be a dog. Unlike taxis, this is his or her personal car. I can see this being a sensitive issue.

I would not fire the driver, instead as a company I'd work to improve the app to have an indication that the customer is accompanied with a service dog. All those who don't want a dog in their car can opt out of this preventing such embarrassing outcomes in the future.
Agreed. I see both sides as well. In the end-it's the driver's personal vehicle-they SHOULD be able to decide if they will transport dogs or not. Dog shed. A lot. I have a white Shepard-ONE ride leaves the entire car covered. The vehicle owner should not be responsible to clean up after the person with the dog. It's also possible that a driver can be allergic to animals-or future riders are.

Let the driver have an indicator if animals are or are not accepted-and riders have a code if they will be traveling with one. There are plenty of animal lovers that would be happy to take them.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:35 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
As per usual, some continue to miss the point. It's not about seeing both sides or seeking a 'fair' deal for either.

As mentioned many times before, anyone that becomes an Uber driver is obligated by the settlement to pick up a rider with a service animal. Period.

It doesn't matter if an Uber driver is allergic to animals, doesn't like animals, considers certain animals offensive based on religion (rolls eyes), doesn't want fur all over the car, yada yada. Again, they are obligated by the settlement terms of the lawsuit to pick up anyone with a legitimate service animal. If these Uber drivers don't like that, tough. Go find another job. Why is that such a hard concept to understand? What is it about following the rules that continues to bamboozle so many people out there?

A rider with a legitimate service animal is under NO obligation to mention that they have a service animal to an Uber driver either, anymore than a rider is obligated to tell an Uber driver what race/ethnicity they are.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:50 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times
I am a uber driver.

Yes we get dogs and the rider should notify the driver ahead of time with a text or call. Not
All are service dogs. But the driver signed a updated contract to accept service animals and should be deactivated for this incident. He had no choice but take this ride. It is the only type of ride he has no choices but to take.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:28 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As per usual, some continue to miss the point. It's not about seeing both sides or seeking a 'fair' deal for either.

As mentioned many times before, anyone that becomes an Uber driver is obligated by the settlement to pick up a rider with a service animal. Period.

It doesn't matter if an Uber driver is allergic to animals, doesn't like animals, considers certain animals offensive based on religion (rolls eyes), doesn't want fur all over the car, yada yada. Again, they are obligated by the settlement terms of the lawsuit to pick up anyone with a legitimate service animal. If these Uber drivers don't like that, tough. Go find another job. Why is that such a hard concept to understand? What is it about following the rules that continues to bamboozle so many people out there?

A rider with a legitimate service animal is under NO obligation to mention that they have a service animal to an Uber driver either, anymore than a rider is obligated to tell an Uber driver what race/ethnicity they are.
I stand corrected if the driver signed something ahead of time agreeing to take service animals. Then he should lose his job or be penalized at the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies