Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 08:06 AM

13,623 posts, read 4,943,684 times

Advertisements

I saw this video played on Fox and Friends the other day

https://www.kgun9.com/border-watch/v...r-wall-in-yuma

Night-vision video surveillance cameras detected a large number of people climbing over a border wall in Arizona. All were promptly arrested.

The Trump-loving show hosts stated that the wall slowed the migrants down, thus "walls work". Talk about spin!

What the video clearly shows is that the wall did not stop these people from crossing the border. What did stop them was video surveillance. If we spent $5 billion on advanced monitoring technologies I'm sure we would stop more migrants than a wall costing $25 billion. But what really got me was how Faux News tried to spin the story to support the conclusion they favor.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:13 AM

282 posts, read 113,409 times
I dunno. How many crossed the Berlin wall? Not too many. Probably less overall than those who successfully cross our border in a week. And these are resourceful Germans.

End the human tragedy of murder at the Mexican border, put the coyotes out of business, end the flow of people here who have the live in the shadows and be treated like 2nd class citizens -> BUILD THE WALL

I don't understand how democrats can live with themselves, advocating for the status quo, with rape and murder of poor desperate people at the border by these viscious human traffickers, then for those who make it here, they are treated like sh*t, not even making a fair wage. Build the wall, stop the madness, and provide for a seniscal system to come here, because we need these immigrants, just legally so they can come here safely and enjoy the same protections that you and I take for granted.

So sick that democrats are willing to continue to allow these poor people to suffer in the interests of political gains and supporting big business who thrive off illegal labor keeping wages down.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:17 AM

629 posts, read 946,752 times
Well, if you want to save * lives* at the border, then you might not want to enforce it in the same way the Berlin wall was enforced.

As we can tell from 16th century literary evidence, walls work really well against ...teenagers...

JULIET
How camest thou hither, tell me, and wherefore?
The orchard walls are high and hard to climb,
And the place death, considering who thou art,
If any of my kinsmen find thee here.

ROMEO
With love’s light wings did I o'erperch these walls,
For stony limits cannot hold love out,
And what love can do, that dares love attempt.
Therefore thy kinsmen are no stop to me.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Well, if you want to save * lives* at the border, then you might not want to enforce it in the same way the Berlin wall was enforced.

As we can tell from 16th century literary evidence, walls work really well against ...teenagers...

JULIET
How camest thou hither, tell me, and wherefore?
The orchard walls are high and hard to climb,
And the place death, considering who thou art,
If any of my kinsmen find thee here.

ROMEO
With love’s light wings did I o'erperch these walls,
For stony limits cannot hold love out,
And what love can do, that dares love attempt.
Therefore thy kinsmen are no stop to me.

Yes, do what needs to be done. 30 feet high, 50 feet below ground. Add a moat. Whatever needs to be done to stop the madness and sickening bloodshed at the border that, for democrats, seems to be OK.

I think 3000 successfully crossed the Berlin wall, over several decades. Highly successful.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:20 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,671,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I saw this video played on Fox and Friends the other day

https://www.kgun9.com/border-watch/v...r-wall-in-yuma

Night-vision video surveillance cameras detected a large number of people climbing over a border wall in Arizona. All were promptly arrested.

The Trump-loving show hosts stated that the wall slowed the migrants down, thus "walls work". Talk about spin!

What the video clearly shows is that the wall did not stop these people from crossing the border. What did stop them was video surveillance. If we spent $5 billion on advanced monitoring technologies I'm sure we would stop more migrants than a wall costing $25 billion. But what really got me was how Faux News tried to spin the story to support the conclusion they favor.
As a deterrent to slow them down.
If they want in bad enough and no one is watching, nothing will stop them.
Kinda like if someone really wants you dead, you will die.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:20 AM

334 posts, read 227,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSENGERTOASCHERON View Post
Yes, put guns there. 30 feet high, 50 feet below ground. Add a moat. Whatever needs to be done to stop the madness and sickening bloodshed at the border that, for democrats, seems to be OK.

I think 3000 successfully crossed the Berlin wall, over several decades. Highly successful.
Was it the wall though, or the troops, machine guns, and dogs?

Old 01-25-2019, 08:21 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,642,657 times
For something that doesn’t work, there sure have been a lot of them built, Great Wall of China, the Berlin Wall, the Vatican, the whitehouse, most federal enclaves, private residences...........

Old 01-25-2019, 08:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSENGERTOASCHERON View Post
I dunno. How many crossed the Berlin wall?
We are not going to shoot people as they attempt it. It's not going to happen.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
For something that doesn’t work, there sure have been a lot of them built, Great Wall of China, the Berlin Wall, the Vatican, the whitehouse, most federal enclaves, private residences...........

Working means 3000 over the course of decades versus that many every hour with no wall.

I guess the best alternative is to just continue to let people die in the desert, be exploited by traffickers then come here illegally and be exploited by business. That is evil.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:33 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,857,932 times
You know what does work?

Mandatory E-Verify with employer penalties.

Works great in Canada and all sorts of countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies