Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 07:58 AM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times

Advertisements

A friend moved his construction company from California to Idaho because of the stupid laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 09:45 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That is true but here on the Cape we have a majority that swings Left.

They talk a good game but when it comes down to it they don't want affordable housing in their backyards.

There was a proposed large affordable housing development that was shut down for many reasons from water use to septic issues to traffic disruptions and I remember one loon standing up and saying that it would not be right to have all the people that qualify as low income living in one condensed area because they would feel bad being seen living there???

Another situation arose when a young family man bought a commercial property that used to be used as a 3 bay garage and was then converted to a retail store. He wanted to convert it back to a garage, got the OK from the town and then the loons came out to shut the project down because they did not want a garage in their neighborhood, keep in mind that this stretch of road is already industrial but the neighbors hired lawyers to fight it and won. Today a pot shop is wrangling to get in that same space which the moonbat Lefty Loons are all for. They must be left over hippies?

Yes NIMBYism is alive and well in my little area of the world.
The real divide is home owners vs. renters, and it's very often generational. In a city like SF where the majority are renters, this plays out in very interesting, and complex, ways.

There are a lot of people, myself included, who want a lot more housing to be built (significant amounts of housing). The OP bought up a good topic, but probably doesn't realize that it's much more complex than "lefties wanting to stop stuff from being built".

There is a lot of movement in the CA government to make changes. See Scott Wiener's housing bill.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:53 AM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The real divide is home owners vs. renters, and it's very often generational. In a city like SF where the majority are renters, this plays out in very interesting, and complex, ways.

There are a lot of people, myself included, who want a lot more housing to be built (significant amounts of housing). The OP bought up a good topic, but probably doesn't realize that it's much more complex than "lefties wanting to stop stuff from being built".

There is a lot of movement in the CA government to make changes. See Scott Wiener's housing bill.
A contractor told me that he had to pay off people on every level to build even though he followed code. They were all on the take.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:50 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Oscar Wilde couldn't have put it better: Nothing succeeds like excess!

Old 01-28-2019, 07:05 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
We even have an affordable housing shortage in the northern Rockies. The NIMBYers are strong here, too, with people of both parties.

One objection by wealthier residents (who buy small acreage and then complain about the wildlife) is that affordable housing is "ugly."

We're not talking cinder block rectangles! But to keep it affordable, the proposed houses have smallish lots and rather straight-forward architecture.

Water is a problem. And some citizens fight FOR xeriscaping proposed developments, while others want assurances of green lawns and shrubbery.

Any multiple-story apartments meet the objection that it will interrupt the view.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:08 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
California is now suing Huntington Beach for not having enough affordable housing. Huntington Beach is guilty of wanting to remain a nice place to live, I guess.
Correction. Huntington Beach already won a lawsuit stating the city doesn't have to build affordable housing, but they have build more housing in accordance with California law. California just wants them to build more houses they don't have to be affordable.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:13 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That is true but here on the Cape we have a majority that swings Left.

They talk a good game but when it comes down to it they don't want affordable housing in their backyards.

There was a proposed large affordable housing development that was shut down for many reasons from water use to septic issues to traffic disruptions and I remember one loon standing up and saying that it would not be right to have all the people that qualify as low income living in one condensed area because they would feel bad being seen living there???

Another situation arose when a young family man bought a commercial property that used to be used as a 3 bay garage and was then converted to a retail store. He wanted to convert it back to a garage, got the OK from the town and then the loons came out to shut the project down because they did not want a garage in their neighborhood, keep in mind that this stretch of road is already industrial but the neighbors hired lawyers to fight it and won. Today a pot shop is wrangling to get in that same space which the moonbat Lefty Loons are all for. They must be left over hippies?

Yes NIMBYism is alive and well in my little area of the world.
NIMBYSM is largely responsible for this, And I agree it crosses all political lines, And even all income levels. Look at gentrification those neighborhoods don't want to be gentrified. No one likes change, but the thing is 100 years ago most of California was farm land I'm sure those farmers didn't want all of these housing developments built, and guess what? It happend anyway, it's crazy people think once they move in they have complete control over everything that happens even though people didn't even want them to live there in the first place. It's ok to oppose certain types of development,but all development I don't think it's right to stiffen all development just for ones own selfish desires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies