Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 04:54 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times

Advertisements

This ridiculous battle over The Wall shows how Congressional action is determined strictly by its political consequences and not at all by its problem solving capabilities.

The Dems who all have voted for walls & increased border security in the recent past when it apparently wasn't immoral to do so, have now all gotten religion, mended their ways and are intent on living pious lives for the near future.

The Rinos are with the Dems, while Trump and his faction have insisted a Wall is the only possible way to keep drugs, illegal voters & other criminals from entering our country.

The experts are telling us that walls are effective in enforcing border security, although not 100% so (nothing is ever 100%). An intelligent problem solver would concede that some wall funding is necessary, if you want to solve the problem.

The concept of "Executive Orders" was intended for the naming of new post offices and declaring Tuesday to be National Ice Cream Sandwich Day, not for determining major Federal Policy-- That's the job of Congress....Trump is weighing the option of using that privilege to build The Wall. As a Constitutional conservative, I'd be very much opposed to that. It would set a precedent that would lead to chaos.. any policy set up by Order could be quickly reversed by the next opposition administration (Cf- the 8 yrs of Obama policies enacted by EO have all been reversed now, leaving his legacy in a pile of dust.)

How about funding the Fed Govt by "GoFundMe?"-- you pay taxes only for the programs you support?-- The ultimate in Democracy. Put your money where your mouth is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 05:06 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Interesting concept.

I'd go with a flat tax. Ten percent for everyone, regardless. Of that 10%, 5 would go directly to government for essential programs like the military, highways, schooling, health care etc. The remaining 5% would be by specified donation to the cause you think Federal government should be supporting. Id even go with a 7% - 3% division.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:24 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
This ridiculous battle over The Wall shows how Congressional action is determined strictly by its political consequences and not at all by its problem solving capabilities.

The Dems who all have voted for walls & increased border security in the recent past when it apparently wasn't immoral to do so, have now all gotten religion, mended their ways and are intent on living pious lives for the near future.

The Rinos are with the Dems, while Trump and his faction have insisted a Wall is the only possible way to keep drugs, illegal voters & other criminals from entering our country.

The experts are telling us that walls are effective in enforcing border security, although not 100% so (nothing is ever 100%). An intelligent problem solver would concede that some wall funding is necessary, if you want to solve the problem.

The concept of "Executive Orders" was intended for the naming of new post offices and declaring Tuesday to be National Ice Cream Sandwich Day, not for determining major Federal Policy-- That's the job of Congress....Trump is weighing the option of using that privilege to build The Wall. As a Constitutional conservative, I'd be very much opposed to that. It would set a precedent that would lead to chaos.. any policy set up by Order could be quickly reversed by the next opposition administration (Cf- the 8 yrs of Obama policies enacted by EO have all been reversed now, leaving his legacy in a pile of dust.)

How about funding the Fed Govt by "GoFundMe?"-- you pay taxes only for the programs you support?-- The ultimate in Democracy. Put your money where your mouth is!
I'd go for that.

I've even suggested a la carte annual fees for services you want, like fire and police/security. No payment, no coverage.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I'd go for that.

I've even suggested a la carte annual fees for services you want, like fire and police/security. No payment, no coverage.
Interesting.

It would take a huge, instantly accessible data base though.

"Hello, this is 911"

"Help, my car ran off the road into a swamp, I can't get out and the car is filling up with water"

"Lets see, sorry mam, you did not pay EMS tax this year, good luck …. click"

Old 01-28-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Interesting.

It would take a huge, instantly accessible data base though.

"Hello, this is 911"

"Help, my car ran off the road into a swamp, I can't get out and the car is filling up with water"

"Lets see, sorry mam, you did not pay EMS tax this year, good luck …. click"
It's not that huge, at most 350m records, you could shove that in a single node SQL server, and have it instantly accessible. We have far larger DBs than that.

Why would a person trapped in a car be calling EMS and expect to be rescued in time? Wouldn't it be more sensible to exit the vehicle? Average response times are all far longer than survival time in a car filling with water.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:30 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
The OP is flawed. As was stated multiple times in the threads about the amputee vet starting the GoFundMe campaign for the wall, any money given to the government from that site goes into the General Fund and can be used for anything by those who control the purse strings.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The OP is flawed. As was stated multiple times in the threads about the amputee vet starting the GoFundMe campaign for the wall, any money given to the government from that site goes into the General Fund and can be used for anything by those who control the purse strings.
The OP is speculative. Makes a lot if sense. Forget walls, suppose you want to fund education, how do you contribute now, other than taxes? How about road maintenance?

For example if Jeff Bezos wants to sign a check for $5B to improve STEM education, shouldn't he be able to, and know it's not going to be spent on drone strikes in the middle east?

Don't you think there should be a channel to provide government the funding it may like for specific uses?

Old 01-28-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
It's not that huge, at most 350m records, you could shove that in a single node SQL server, and have it instantly accessible. We have far larger DBs than that.

Why would a person trapped in a car be calling EMS and expect to be rescued in time? Wouldn't it be more sensible to exit the vehicle? Average response times are all far longer than survival time in a car filling with water.
What do I have to do … add a disclaimer "for illustrative purposes only"?

It could have been a heart attack, stroke, chainsaw kickback to the face, whatever. The point being you would not get any services you did not elect to pay for.

It was also intended to point out the absurdity of the situation.

Its all hypothetical but at least try to stay on track.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:17 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

!
More fake news from the right. Dems have never called for wasting this much money on a wall. That's unique to the orange clown

Old 01-28-2019, 02:18 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:

It all depends what the records contain. It could be massive on the storage side of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies