Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 11:53 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Since most of us are discussing not learning English being the issue, I call b.s. on this. When my grandparents immigrated they HAD to learn English in order to get a job. But they wanted to because they wanted to become as American as possible. They were proud to be here.
My dad got his mouth washed out with soap if he spoke German words even though Grandma and Grandpa spoke it to each other.

When my Grandpa was dying all he spoke was German and so sad, my Dad could understand and translate but could not speak it back to him, even all those years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 12:15 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
If all people have to whine about is Hispanics speaking Spanish in public (so they can't listen in?) then they need to reset their priorities. Many of these folks are bi-lingual (a strength, believe it or not) and have a stronger family framework than most "Americans". Illegals come here to work and send money home to their families. Hispanic communities often have a huge emphasis on families and extended families. Aunts and uncles are like parents, cousins are like siblings, grandparents are respected. They go to church. They work hard. What's the problem? If anything, American culture drives a wedge into this model.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:22 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Wrong. English is still the universal language for business and science ALL over the world. And the best countries in the world are those who speak English. And most of the struggling countries are one who speak Spanish, plus the ones on the African continent.

Being multi-lingual is a plus, but other languages like Chinese, Japanese, French, Italian and German have just as much, if not more merit. It all depends on what ones line of work is.
You are aware that Spanish is a European language aren't you? English may be the universal language for business but that doesn't mean what I said isn't true.

I'm not sure how any struggling country's language has any bearing on this conversation in the slightest. Unless of course you are attempting to push a prejudiced narrative that people from Spanish speaking countries are somehow less intelligent. Is that what you're doing? In that case I can point to quite a few counties located primarily in Southern US states that are struggling and whose language is exclusively English. You want to go that route?

Old 01-28-2019, 12:26 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Oh, the irony. Why are you preaching to Americans about adapting and not to the people saying they want to be Americans but not adapting?
Not preaching, just relating how the world is these days. You can either adapt or not. I really don't care.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:32 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
When I watched it, I thought Brokaw was referring to how the right view Hispanic folks. But since he is speaking from his point of view, he needs to wake up and realize this country is more multiracial than ever. It's a positive thing. The folks that can't accept that fact are in for a rude awakening because this multicultural country will continue to be diverse.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:37 PM

989 posts, read 456,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
If all people have to whine about is Hispanics speaking Spanish in public (so they can't listen in?) then they need to reset their priorities. Many of these folks are bi-lingual (a strength, believe it or not) and have a stronger family framework than most "Americans". Illegals come here to work and send money home to their families. Hispanic communities often have a huge emphasis on families and extended families. Aunts and uncles are like parents, cousins are like siblings, grandparents are respected. They go to church. They work hard. What's the problem? If anything, American culture drives a wedge into this model.
I'm not sure that's the problem. It's solely when you can't speak anything else. I was in Kohl's one day buying something and ahead of me there was a Hispanic woman having an issue with an item she was purchasing. She and the cashier could not communicate at all, nor could they find anyone to help her. Now, maybe she was newly arrived, but maybe not. Even if she was, why on earth would you attempt to resolve a complicated issue knowing you can't speak English in a predominantly English-speaking store? She should have brought a friend with her or something. As it was, she couldn't get her issue resolved and ended up just walking out of the store.

Personally, I don't care if anyone is speaking a different language out in public, but when you are at a public place and you need customer service I do think you need to realize that you cannot be catered to and you need to figure out how to handle it. I've lived in a foreign country myself and never expected anyone to take care of me language-wise when I had a problem. I had my handy-dandy translation book with me and, while not perfect, I could get through most situations.

Last edited by ToyVW55; 01-28-2019 at 12:48 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 12:47 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Default Tom Brokaw 'Hispanics should work harder at assimilation

Yeah, well...

Most children of immigrants grow up fluent in English and pretty much Americanized.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that their parents tend to hang on to their native languages and customs.

But, in the end...

...resistance is futile.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:13 PM

5,740 posts, read 4,697,306 times
There's a saying...

Immigration without assimilation is invasion

Old 01-28-2019, 01:24 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
lol. We are talking about Hispanic immigrants IN America. They can choose to go back to their country if they think American culture is affecting them in some negative way. And it is the same for Americans who dislike American culture, perhaps find a better fit and see if you can immigrate there. Lots of people are doing it.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:28 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
He is telling the truth, only the snowflake liberals are insulted by this. It doesn't take much to insult them these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies